A Beret Question?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Harry Paget Flashman, Mar 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have recently been required to re-badge from the Royal Artillery to the Duke of Wellington's Regiment (this happens to those of us in the ACF - sometimes with tedious regularity).

My dark blue beret was a very nice one with a silk lining and a internal badge support, I now have a bog standard issue khaki one which is nowhere near as comfortable.

Does anyone know where I can obtain a silk lined khaki version? Do they even exist?

Finally, are the new Wire Embroidered Yorkshire Regiment badges available anywhere yet? The official website is as (un)helpful as ever, but I would like to be able to get the thing set up so I can change over straight after our official re-badging on 10th June.

Any help would as ever be much appreciated.
  2. Any of the army tailors can supply you with a silklined beret.

Herbert Johnson
    Thieves & Hawkes

Cost: £30 - £35
  3. Goldings beret with badge running at £48 at the moment.
  4. Glover and Riding

£25 -£30
  5. Thanks for that old chap. I like their price better than the others :) . Do you have a link or a phone number?
  6. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Actually, Silvermans will flog you a silk lined officers beret for a bit less than that, though obviously you'll need to buy a badge on top. Personally, having lashed out £40 with Goldings a year ago for a new beret and badge, I'm far happier with the £12 one I mail-ordered from 'Drop Zone Supplies' last week: much less like an HLS/cow pat.
  7. Hmmm, anything would be better than your last one.
  8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

When your head is as large and packed with high quality brains as mine is, decent berets are at a premium. Although I can squeeze into a 62, a size 63 is comfortable: try finding one of those in fetching cypress green.
  9. Is Du Brora still running? Their lids were sweet...pre-shaped and very smart. so smart that I had to hang a particularly small RHA officer from the coat pegs in the RA Mess Larkhill for trying to half inch mine. Didn't I Chris??
  10. Just out of interest, does anyone know where you can get a nicer TOS? This fcuking SCOTS badge is so big that it's made my once wonderfully comfy TOS into an instrument of torture. Could do with being just a bit bigger on the rim now...
    Went to the QM, was told to 'gittaefcuk'.

11. Try 'The Small Crown Beret Co' They are a registered contractor to the M.o.D. & will supply anything from one beret upwards.

Officer style berets are £6.50 + VAT.

Tel: 0845 2268324

Fax:0845 2268325

Email: sales@smallcrown.com
  12. i can vouch for drop zone (excellent for lots of stuff) and smallcrowncompany berets in cypress green! very light too and very comfy! pity he moved from brookwood, (near pirbright) to brize.

you may also wish to take into account the future of DWR if its merging? new beret then as well perhaps? if so stick with issue one for the moment.

but please...no silk bow at back(prefabricated)...just tooooooo mincing.
  13. Removal of the bow is the first move - be assured of that.
  14. Anyone know where I can get hold of a Compton Webb beret? We used to get them issued with a silk band, and they were a damn sight better than the new ones. The old ones had enough material so that you could jam them down on your head in a gale. The new ones have to be perched on the top of your head, and don't really hold unless you have a buzzcut.