a bad day for mactards...

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by maguire, Dec 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Conversely, can you explain why there seems to be a minimum of a 100% markup on a Mac as opposed to the equivalent Windows machine? why do you insist on paying over double the odds for averagely built kit that you cant upgrade or change to suit yourself?
  4. msr

msr LE

Because it just works ;)

5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I refer m'learned colleague to the 'macfixit' forum.
  6. msr

msr LE

Unless some ex-Windows loon decides to go futzing ;)
  8. A common myth. A MacBook Pro is about £1200-1300; 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 200Gb hard drive. OS X included. An equivalent laptop, plus Windows, plus the virus software, plus all the additional patches because Vista can't work with XP, costs more. Then when you break your Windows laptop or forget your password, PC World charge £100 to sort you out. Apple helps you for the cost of a phone call, or most of the time you can fix it yourself with the installation disks, which are made easy so you don't need a Star Trek T-shirt and no friends to understand what to do.

You pay for someone sitting down and thinking about what they're making; Magsafe is a perfect example. Microsoft churns out programs not properly beta'd or designed (such as Excel '07 and its lamentable maths; .docx files on word etc) which just happens to be popular because they were first in the business.
  9. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

the same, if not better specc'ed Windows machine for less than half the price. *with* vista. AVG? free over the web. (and Vista has a perfectly serviceable firewall as standard as well in any case). additional patches because Vista cant work with XP?? er, if you say so. (psst- you *do* know that they're OS'es and you dont actually use them at the same time dont you??)
    I know where my money would go.
  10. Conflict between OSs can occur when trying to get computers running different things to connect or sychronise. As the same company designed both, it's pretty foolish for them not to work easily.

AVG is poor to moderate; you get what you pay for. Avast is free and reasonable though, so I concede the point.

Costwise, what would that computer would cost you straight from the manufacturers, not a knock-down website?

Plus, that laptop's half plastic, not durable brushed aluminium 8)
  11. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

so it's a myth then eh? and what is the point you're trying to make about the OS? I'm running XP on my laptop and Vista on my desktop - it hasnt caused me any problems yet.

when it comes down to it, there is nothing to recommend macs or to be honest, anything with an apple badge on it. overpriced triumphs of style over substance so people like you can bleat on about how great they are - in the hopes if you keep repeating it for long enough you might believe it, and not be kicking yourself for paying far more over the odds than you had to. ;)
  12. Well of course if you want a machine that hangs lags and genraly needs babysitting your right choose a PC :roll:
  13. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

well, at least my spellchecker works correctly.
  14. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP