a bad day for mactards...

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Conversely, can you explain why there seems to be a minimum of a 100% markup on a Mac as opposed to the equivalent Windows machine? why do you insist on paying over double the odds for averagely built kit that you cant upgrade or change to suit yourself?

maguire said:
Conversely, can you explain why there seems to be a minimum of a 100% markup on a Mac as opposed to the equivalent Windows machine? why do you insist on paying over double the odds for averagely built kit that you cant upgrade or change to suit yourself?
Because it just works ;)

msr

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
msr said:
maguire said:
Because it just works ;)

msr
I refer m'learned colleague to the 'macfixit' forum.

maguire said:
msr said:
maguire said:
Because it just works ;)

msr
I refer m'learned colleague to the 'macfixit' forum.
Unless some ex-Windows loon decides to go futzing ;)

roadster280 said:
The simple fact is that there aren't any equivalent Windows machines. None have the single block of aluminum construction. None have the magsafe power connectors. None are as thin as the Air.

But no cd/dvd drive?????

It's as odd a question as asking why Mercedes-Benz are so expensive.

Same as BMW, its overpriced, people buy the badge not the car

Yes, there will be some dullards who go and buy one and put 20 inch chrome wheels and pink leather on the thing, but your average Mercedes buyer uses it straight out of the box.

Same deal for Macs. Why would one want to fcuk around with it? Just buy what you need at the outset and use that. No need to do any after market blx to it. I have Windows installed in a VM on my Macbook, and it's plenty fast. Much faster than my colleague's Lenovo/IBM jobby running native.

Of course if you're after playing games, then a computer is the wrong thing in the first place. The GPUs in Playstations are about 9x as fast as computers.

maguire said:
A common myth. A MacBook Pro is about £1200-1300; 2.4Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 200Gb hard drive. OS X included. An equivalent laptop, plus Windows, plus the virus software, plus all the additional patches because Vista can't work with XP, costs more. Then when you break your Windows laptop or forget your password, PC World charge £100 to sort you out. Apple helps you for the cost of a phone call, or most of the time you can fix it yourself with the installation disks, which are made easy so you don't need a Star Trek T-shirt and no friends to understand what to do.

You pay for someone sitting down and thinking about what they're making; Magsafe is a perfect example. Microsoft churns out programs not properly beta'd or designed (such as Excel '07 and its lamentable maths; .docx files on word etc) which just happens to be popular because they were first in the business.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
http://www.morgancomputer.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=4843&CategoryID=11&SubCategoryID=364

the same, if not better specc'ed Windows machine for less than half the price. *with* vista. AVG? free over the web. (and Vista has a perfectly serviceable firewall as standard as well in any case). additional patches because Vista cant work with XP?? er, if you say so. (psst- you *do* know that they're OS'es and you dont actually use them at the same time dont you??)
I know where my money would go.

maguire said:
http://www.morgancomputer.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=4843&CategoryID=11&SubCategoryID=364

the same, if not better specc'ed Windows machine for less than half the price. *with* vista. AVG? free over the web. (and Vista has a perfectly serviceable firewall as standard as well in any case). additional patches because Vista cant work with XP?? er, if you say so. (psst- you *do* know that they're OS'es and you dont actually use them at the same time dont you??)
I know where my money would go.
Conflict between OSs can occur when trying to get computers running different things to connect or sychronise. As the same company designed both, it's pretty foolish for them not to work easily.

AVG is poor to moderate; you get what you pay for. Avast is free and reasonable though, so I concede the point.

Costwise, what would that computer would cost you straight from the manufacturers, not a knock-down website?

Plus, that laptop's half plastic, not durable brushed aluminium 8)

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
so it's a myth then eh? and what is the point you're trying to make about the OS? I'm running XP on my laptop and Vista on my desktop - it hasnt caused me any problems yet.

when it comes down to it, there is nothing to recommend macs or to be honest, anything with an apple badge on it. overpriced triumphs of style over substance so people like you can bleat on about how great they are - in the hopes if you keep repeating it for long enough you might believe it, and not be kicking yourself for paying far more over the odds than you had to. ;)

maguire said:
so it's a myth then eh? and what is the point you're trying to make about the OS? I'm running XP on my laptop and Vista on my desktop - it hasnt caused me any problems yet.

when it comes down to it, there is nothing to recommend macs or to be honest, anything with an apple badge on it. overpriced triumphs of style over substance so people like you can bleat on about how great they are - in the hopes if you keep repeating it for long enough you might believe it, and not be kicking yourself for paying far more over the odds than you had to. ;)
Well of course if you want a machine that hangs lags and genraly needs babysitting your right choose a PC :roll:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
well, at least my spellchecker works correctly.

Um oan Vista....

If yer gonny shoot me.. dae it when am noa looking..

e.g. when I'm puzzling at ma keyboard thinking " Oh!! What the F' noo!!???"

Please??....

Oh dear. I seem to have stumbled into a geekoff.

Watching mac and windows users slapfight is like watching mongs argue about which is the best dogshit to step in...

:)

roadster280 said:
You stick to dogshit then & I'll stick to OSX.

Sent from my iPhone :)
Style over substance then, you were really caught up by the hype.And you paid to much probably for your O2 contract