A air rifle for shooting vermin & the odd target

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by BiGbAddAbOOm, Feb 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear Arrse shooting experts.....

Can anyone recommend a air rifle (sub £300 - £350) to shoot vermin, bunnies and the occasional paper target?

Regards

J

2. Attached Files:

3. You should find some answers in the Shooting Sports forum on ARRSE CLICKY

4. I can do you a nice Gamo .22 for £130, will knock down bunnies, is accurate and a nice piece of kit......just under FAC poundage so hits quite well....

5. send a PM to "flutedbarrel" that his main past-time.

6. Thanks for the info everyone :) My local shop is doing a BSA Lightning XL with the wooden stock and a decent scope for £250 I think I will go for that :)

Thanks again for all the tips .... didn't quite trust the googled web reviews :)

J

7. that sounds pretty good - you need to look on youtube then and find how to modify the silencer to make it quieter

Attached Files:

8. BSA Meteor with a Hawke 3-9x40 does it for me. Excellent for pigeons, rats and close-in bunnies. But what I suggest is to get down to your local shop and see what they have in second-hand department. Also, ask for a package; ie rifle, scope, slip and some pellets. You'll usually get a discount on the whole lot if you're a first-time buyer.

I would suggest you get a spring one first. Then if you're getting serious you can upgrade later to compressed air, CO2 cartridges etc.

9. For 300-350 you would be best off looking for something like a Weirauch or Air Arms. With a decent set of optics you would be able to pick up something mint secondhand with reasonable glass for that budget with change to spare.

My choice would be if I were in your shoes

TX200HC
    HW97K

Look at sites like airgunbbs, shootforum, airgunforum, pigeonwatch ect

I picked up a Mint HW97K with Simmons WTC (OK ish glass) for £250

If you want any help PM me mate.

10. told you BiGbAddAbOOm

11. Weirauch all the way, can feel like a cannon weightwise but lovely guns, as all the rabbits and pidgeons(dead)in my area will testify!