a acceptable 3 mile run time ?

#1
the reason I ask is because my last two 3 mile run's I've got 22:57 and 23:07 wich I think is still pretty good but it puts me down when I don't beat my best time wich is 22:37 , but I can't expect to beat my time every run ino.also I think I've been running too fast at the start wich might of led to these times so I will go slower at start and see what happens.

Also it can't be my fittnsss getting worse because 3 day before the 3 mile run I done a 4.5 mile run and got 36:31 ..wich I beat my time by 2 secs(and I was fast jogging on this one ....and not running to death on my old record one)

So I'm just wondering what is a acceptable 3 mile run for infrantry and also do they build you up in training to run that distance any way ...and when do you do a 3 mile +run in basic, eg what week etc?

I would of thought you would be ok with a 10 min mile pace ,anyway thanks in advance.
 
#5
Sorry I should have been clearer. You will have to do a 1 1/2 mile run, not inf, so cant remember timings etc. Less than 10.30 for the RE. Going off your timings you should be fine. What can you do 1 1/2 in?
 
#6
I used to run 3 miles in under 21 mins....and I was REME. You're job has sod all to do with fitness. You're fit, or you're not?
 
#8
1.5 miles in around 10:30

But running is not my thing tbh , im more of a weight lifter tbh.....running is second nature but I'm on the rite track yes ? ....surely there will be some peaple who can only do of in 30 mins / not even run it before basic ...so I must be ok ?
 
#9
Don't worry about it too much, sounds like you're not far off where you need to be and with the right attitude to boot. IIRC 10.30 for 1.5 miles under the age of 30.

P-T
 
#10
what is iirc ?

And yes your rite I am worrying too much , to be honest I should be happy I can do the 3 miles /4.5 miles in those times ...1 year ago I couldn't even run longer then 2mins ...I've come along way tbh.

Thanks for the info guys
 
#11
corbuk said:
what is iirc ?

And yes your rite I am worrying too much , to be honest I should be happy I can do the 3 miles /4.5 miles in those times ...1 year ago I couldn't even run longer then 2mins ...I've come along way tbh.

Thanks for the info guys
If I Recall Correctly.

Good luck with Phase 1.

P-T
 
#13
corbuk said:
1.5 miles in around 10:30

But running is not my thing tbh , im more of a weight lifter tbh.....
Same boat as yourself mate. Not much of a runner & prefer the free weights / powerlifting myself or hiking for cardio. Also currently averaging 7min mile for the 1.5 & 8min mile for 5mile runs.

Just keep working away at it mate. Fartlek & interval training in combination with the 60% MHR normal runs work wonders on your 1.5mile time.
 
#15
hey guys I think that anywhere under 25 mins is GOOD. when you start Phase 1 your strength and cardio levels will jump right up.

You will be competing with your troop and be 'encouraged' by the PTI's so dont worry.

Also there are loads of people who will turn up and not even make it round the 1.5 miles in under 13 mins and by the end of a few sessions they would have gotten much fitter
 
#16
woozieuk1 said:
hey guys I think that anywhere under 25 mins is GOOD. when you start Phase 1 your strength and cardio levels will jump right up.

You will be competing with your troop and be 'encouraged' by the PTI's so dont worry.

Also there are loads of people who will turn up and not even make it round the 1.5 miles in under 13 mins and by the end of a few sessions they would have gotten much fitter
Thanks for that. Are you in army? When you run at basic, do you run as a squad in 3 ranks or something?
 
#17
woozieuk1 said:
hey guys I think that anywhere under 25 mins is GOOD.
you're joking... i wasn't excersizing for ages because of a hamstring injury, only sat around and ate crap for ages and beat that time easily....

don't say stuff like that it'll make me lazy!
 
#18
just another thing.

corbuk, i'm not in the same boat as you, i'm not so much a weight lifter type because i prefer running or cycling to increase my endurance, weightlifting isn't for me and i don't worry about it too much because i build up strength very quickly.
i'm running about the same time's as you right now but am planning to get it down to 20. i've only just picked up my running pattern again because of a hamstring injury and immediately beat my best time by 1min 30 secs!! :D

i personally recommend running every second day and cycling or swimming in between. i realise not everybody has the time but if you do, do it. i cycled 46km today. the good thing is that it raises your endurance without being in danger of an injury, because you use different muscles.

my hamstring is still too delicate for my liking because my body has adjusted to cycling too much, different muscles are used. if i push myself too much i'll end up with a hamstring injury again. :roll:

any advice on good excerizes for the hamstring?
 
#19
Ok, i, like Corbuk, much prefer weights to running. In fact, i hate running at times.

Now, as i've stated elsewhere im due to start at ITC Catterick next week but looking at this thread, it's put the $hits up me as i can only run about 3 miles without me blowing out my arrse and even then this is at a crap pace. I don't time myself on the 3 milers but i'd hazard a guess at it being just under 30 minutes give or take a couple of minutes. I shall time myself properly tomorrow, but i was looking for some honest input off people who are either instructors at ITC or have done Inf basic themselves; how will i fair up to start with? It's obviously too late to work on my times to significantly improve before i start the course.
 
#20
untitled said:
Ok, i, like Corbuk, much prefer weights to running. In fact, i hate running at times.

Now, as i've stated elsewhere im due to start at ITC Catterick next week but looking at this thread, it's put the $hits up me as i can only run about 3 miles without me blowing out my arrse and even then this is at a crap pace. I don't time myself on the 3 milers but i'd hazard a guess at it being just under 30 minutes give or take a couple of minutes. I shall time myself properly tomorrow, but i was looking for some honest input off people who are either instructors at ITC or have done Inf basic themselves; how will i fair up to start with? It's obviously too late to work on my times to significantly improve before i start the course.
You will struggle to begin with but as long as you show some grit (and probably some vomit) the instructors will know you are giving 100%. Your improvements should be more noticeable then the lads turning up who are already at the top of their game.

PS. It's not too late to get some speed training in before next week.

P-T
 

Similar threads

Top