A 3rd Century Legion On the Wrong Side of the Rhine

#1
http://www.thenational.ae/article/20081222/FOREIGN/173617228/1013/SPORT

BERLIN // The battle raged in a dense pine forest on a hill in northern Germany 1,800 years ago, and there is little doubt that the disciplined, well-equipped Romans routed the Germanic warriors who ambushed them.

The site of the carnage, discovered by chance by an amateur treasure hunter, is so well preserved that archaeologists have been able to piece together the action, and they have likened it to the opening scene of the Ridley Scott movie Gladiator.

Archaeologists are hailing their discovery of the battlefield near the town of Kalefeld south of Hanover as a sensation because it may force a reassessment of Roman history in northern Europe. It shows the Romans were still sending armies deep into hostile Germania in the third century, far later than most historians had believed.
Very interesting stuff. I might have to save some money for a ticket across the pond in a few years to see what they've dug up.
 
#2
I remember reading about the famous Battle of Teutoburg Wald in 9 AD in which Varus Legions was wiped out to a man by Arminius a Roman educated German, who turned on his former benefactor, the 17th, 18th, 19th legion was never reformed, since the massacre, it did Arminius little good as he was assassinated by his own compatriots in 21 AD
 
#3
If you ever served in Detmold, Nord Rhinewesphalia, you would have seen the massive monument to "Herman the German", as he was known to legions of Brit troops, Arminius, that stood on the hill overlooking the town.
The Statue was most impressive with his Sword held high in the air and bullet marks said to be from WW II ground attack fighters clearly marked Old Herman.
john
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arminius
 
#4
jonwilly said:
If you ever served in Detmold, Nord Rhinewesphalia, you would have seen the massive monument to "Herman the German", as he was known to legions of Brit troops, Arminius, that stood on the hill overlooking the town.
The Statue was most impressive with his Sword held high in the air and bullet marks said to be from WW II ground attack fighters clearly marked Old Herman.
Apparently it was the largest statue in the world until the statue of Liberty was built. Unfortunately about 70 miles out of place. The site of the battle was only found in about 1990, largely as a result of metal detector finds by a RTR officer. There was a very interesting documentary on it a couple of years back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Teutoburg_Forest

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/ambush.html
 
#6
Onetap said:
jonwilly said:
If you ever served in Detmold, Nord Rhinewesphalia, you would have seen the massive monument to "Herman the German", as he was known to legions of Brit troops, Arminius, that stood on the hill overlooking the town.
The Statue was most impressive with his Sword held high in the air and bullet marks said to be from WW II ground attack fighters clearly marked Old Herman.
Apparently it was the largest statue in the world until the statue of Liberty was built. Unfortunately about 70 miles out of place. The site of the battle was only found in about 1990, largely as a result of metal detector finds by a RTR officer. There was a very interesting documentary on it a couple of years back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Teutoburg_Forest

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/ambush.html
The site was found by a British Army officer, a Major Tony Clunn, who spent his weekends trying to find some remains of the battle based on a 19th century historian believed the site was located.

He contacted a German archeologist beforehand and got some input from him and finally found the site. He wrote a book about it as well. I did a few book reviews on the Roman Republic and Empire on a classical history web site and his publicist contacted me via email to encourage me to read it and write a review. I didn't really have the time but I do hope to read it someday.

Here is his website with quite a bit of info. LINK
 
S

Screw_The_Nut

Guest
#7
The battle and the Hermannsdenkmal monument is also commemorated by the similar Hermann Heights Monument in New Ulm, MN, U.S.A.
WTF? Do the septics have to steal every piece of history from every fooking other place??? :evil:
 
#8
Screw_The_Nut said:
The battle and the Hermannsdenkmal monument is also commemorated by the similar Hermann Heights Monument in New Ulm, MN, U.S.A.
WTF? Do the septics have to steal every piece of history from every fooking other place??? :evil:
Theyare the first country EVER to have a non-white male in power.... fact. They could have nearly been the first country EVER to have a female in power.... fact. We should now try to emulate them in our politics and stop only having white males in our government.

Don´t knock the US of A, don´t you know Jesus was born in Washington? And ALL wars have been finished by them, and any heroics during said wars are automatically attributed to them.

Unfortunate for them my local pubs fire place is older than their country!!!! :D

On a serious note, they have lots of these sort of monuments. The immigrants that landed on their shores erected them to remember the old country by.
 
#9
It took me to half way down when I realised you were taking the piss.
 
#11
Half way though? I only start taking the p1ss after "Seriously though".....

Seriously though, the first paragraph is almost true to heart. I nearly through the kid at the tele when some doris from stateside waxed lyrical about how US of A was leading the world and breaking glass ceilings with Barrack and Condi reaching high spots. You´d have thought Mrs T had never wielded her handbag inside no 10!!! Maybe they thought Dennis was the PM :D
 
#12
chocolate_frog said:
Half way though? I only start taking the p1ss after "Seriously though".....

Seriously though, the first paragraph is almost true to heart. I nearly through the kid at the tele when some doris from stateside waxed lyrical about how US of A was leading the world and breaking glass ceilings with Barrack and Condi reaching high spots. You´d have thought Mrs T had never wielded her handbag inside no 10!!! Maybe they thought Dennis was the PM :D
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00g9qr8
 
S

Screw_The_Nut

Guest
#13
chocolate_frog said:
Half way though? I only start taking the p1ss after "Seriously though".....

Seriously though, the first paragraph is almost true to heart. I nearly through the kid at the tele when some doris from stateside waxed lyrical about how US of A was leading the world and breaking glass ceilings with Barrack and Condi reaching high spots. You´d have thought Mrs T had never wielded her handbag inside no 10!!! Maybe they thought Dennis was the PM :D
They also split the atom, invented the computer, invented electricity, captured the enigma machine, won world war 1 and 2, sent the first man into space, fight for freedom... etc.
 
#14
jonwilly said:
If you ever served in Detmold, Nord Rhinewesphalia, you would have seen the massive monument to "Herman the German", as he was known to legions of Brit troops, Arminius, that stood on the hill overlooking the town.
The Statue was most impressive with his Sword held high in the air and bullet marks said to be from WW II ground attack fighters clearly marked Old Herman.
john
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arminius
I used to get my leg over up that long winding hill on many an occasion.
 
#17
The bones of a Roman officer with the remains of a map case in his hand will be there for the finding.
 
#18
chocolate_frog - "Don´t knock the US of A, don´t you know Jesus was born in Washington?"

Well I knew He was crucified there ‘cos John Wayne was a Centurion on Calvary – seen it in a film, must be true – must have been the US Calvary? 8O
”Get off your ass and drink your Chalav Yisroel.”

No.9
 
#19
Screw_The_Nut said:
The battle and the Hermannsdenkmal monument is also commemorated by the similar Hermann Heights Monument in New Ulm, MN, U.S.A.
WTF? Do the septics have to steal every piece of history from every fooking other place??? :evil:
It's not stealing.

You do realize that media hype to the contrary, over 70% of Americans trace their ancestry to Europe. [I suffer through idiotic Scottish-Americans dressed in skirts and throwing logs due of course to their poor genetic ancestry.]

In this case New Ulm has a large German-American population, like most of Minnesota.
 
#20
Virgil said:
You do realize that media hype to the contrary, over 70% of Americans trace their ancestry to Europe. [I suffer through idiotic Scottish-Americans dressed in skirts and throwing logs due of course to their poor genetic ancestry.]

In this case New Ulm has a large German-American population, like most of Minnesota.
Do any of this 70% ever admit to being English-American? or would that be bogus and the equvilant of admiting to being a kiddie fiddler/communist?

It´s just I have never actually met a Yank who said he was English, aways Irish or Scottish. A fewwild cards who claim Welsh or, get this, Cornish ancestry.

Maybe that´s why your country´s fcuked.... it´s got no decent DNA :D
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
semper The Intelligence Cell 15
Resurgam Current Affairs, News and Analysis 21
carabinier RAC 22

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top