A 200 yr old Coldstreamer

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by 1stgulfmac, May 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Both Haines and Taylor owed me a tenner.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ""But we will try. If not, Plan B is to cremate the remains, and scatter his ashes on Horse Guards Parade before the Trooping the Colour with due dignity and ceremony, and the guardsmen of Number 7 Company Coldstream Guards - his descendants - can tramp his ashes into the welts of their boots on one of the nation's most famous parade grounds, 200 years later. I hope it will be a fitting resting place for an unknown soldier who died long ago, doing his duty."

WTF? I get the scattering of ashes bit but tramping his remains into 'the welts of their boots' seems a bit shit. Why go to the bother of cremating him? why not just fling him on the floor and have No7 Company mark time for an hour on top of him?

"What the **** is that all over your boots Gdsmn Fucknuckle?"

"Another Gdsmn Sgt Maj"

"Show another Gdsmn removed from boots!"

"Righteo Sgt Maj Sir"
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Better just spreading them in a sheep field
  4. Battle of Egmont Op Zee?
  5. While some may see the tramping of his remains into the welts as a curious tribute, I'm not sure that the subsequent sweeping up of his remains along with the horse shit is.

Don't they have any rose gardens anywhere that could benefit from a bit of fertiliser?
  6. "crucially - he didn't have a head, which means that it may never be clear what killed him"

Or, and stop me if I'm going too left-field on this one, maybe the slight issue of not having a head was what killed him?

Good work by the team involved though, I do like this sort of history.
    • Like Like x 8
  7. He was a woodentop...
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Use his correct title if you don't mind
  9. I thought they said he was a Coldstreamer, not a Welsh Guardsman.
  10. Typical non Blue Red Blue knowledge ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

What...you mean the Coldstreams pre- date 1WG by 222 years ? Who'da thunk it.

Excellent piece from Caroline Wyatt...tick,v.g, milk monitor for at least the week.
  12. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

We cremated me father in law in January (it's okay, he was dead). Late March they let us scatter his ashes. Zero Alpha wasn't to keen so I did it for her. The faintest of breezes meant my shoes were covered in father in law. We took him for a day trip to Norfolk (we were in the area); I brought him to work every day for a week. I thought about taking him to his next-door-but-one neighbour's funeral but I polished me shoes instead.
  13. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I wondered that meself. My lot (15th Light Dragoons (Hussars) then - became eventually 15/19H, then LD) were there.
  14. I'm sorry, that one flew right over my head - is it some kind of an 'in' joke?