Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds A-1 AD-6 Douglas Skyraider in 1/32nd scale

NSP

LE
All Korean War carriers were Essex class so same as WWII. Vietnam was a mix of modified Essex and the new super carriers.
So Spads not so salt-knackered because they were only brought up on deck for sorties, then...?

NSP

LE
Maybe the paint was different? Who knows - they just didnt get the hammer the WW2 planes seemed to have got.
Was the tempo of ops higher for WWII aircraft than for Skyraiders? WWII aircraft would have been on CAP, recce patrols, support missions, screening patrols and so on. I don't imagine the torpedo aircraft were left to sit quietly until there was something to torpedo - they'd have presumably been out on screen duty and the like, being two seaters and having a guy in the back with nothing to do but scan for enemy periscopes and surface scouts and so on...???

I'm taking a civvy guess that Skyraiders went up for planned sorties to pre-selected targets overland or to overland orbit positions until called in by FACs (i.e. no long boring patrols in salt air - over-water transits to orbit being at altitude, not wave-hopping, not stored on deck because they weren't on 24/7 standby)...??

Last edited:
So Spads not so salt-knackered because they were only brought up on deck for sorties, then...?

I honestly dont know why the paint didnt wear at the same rate as the WW2 planes. Perhaps the weather conditions were different in the South China sea to the Pacific Ocean???? You do the boaty saily thing - you must have a thought or two on the suject?

Was the tempo of ops higher for WWII aircraft than for Skyraiders? WWII aircraft would have been on CAP, recce patrols, support missions, screening patrols and so on. I don't imagine the torpedo aircraft were left to sit quietly until there was something to torpedo - they'd have presumably been out on screen duty and the like, being two seaters and having a guy in the back with nothing to do but scan for enemy periscopes and surface scouts and so on...???

I'm taking a civvy guess that Skyraiders went up for planned sorties to pre-selected targets overland or to overland orbit positions until called in by FACs (i.e. no long boring patrols in salt air, or stored on deck because they were on 24/7 standby)...??
I'll ask in the Spad forum

NSP

LE
I honestly dont know why the paint didnt wear at the same rate as the WW2 planes. Perhaps the weather conditions were different in the South China sea to the Pacific Ocean???? You do the boaty saily thing - you must have a thought or two on the suject?
Oceans can be more prone to big swell - nothing to slow the wind, deep volume of water and so on. If you were in a big swell you wouldn't be flying, though - imagine getting to the end of deck as the bow drops into a trough and launching straight into the face of the next swell! Must come down to storing kit on deck rather than moving it to the hangar, I s'pose.

Last edited:
If the WW2 Carrier airframes were Matt blue and Korean Gloss, the Matt would wear quicker.
Bare with me, I volunteer at Battlegroup Raydon, the Saladin that’s just about finished, had to be painted gloss Emerald Green as apparently it’s waterproof! I’d guess that’s possibly why they painted the Spads gloss.

NSP

LE
If the WW2 Carrier airframes were Matt blue and Korean Gloss, the Matt would wear quicker.
Bare with me, I volunteer at Battlegroup Raydon, the Saladin that’s just about finished, had to be painted gloss Emerald Green as apparently it’s waterproof! I’d guess that’s possibly why they painted the Spads gloss.
I suppose a smooth shiny surface would be more amenable to particulate sliding over it rather than ripping into it, too...?

ABNredleg

War Hero
US carriers always used a deck park - that’s how they accommodated such large air wings. Hangars were mainly used for maintenance.

The MRP paint has turned up. I’ve picked up two versions of the navy blue that were used between 1942 and 1955. One is Matt and the other is gloss. I suspect the post about shiny surfaces vs Matt may well be a good call on the wear and tear.

anyway

90F41E29-7D5A-48C0-A36B-473A685701F4.jpeg

the one on the top is gloss and the one on the bottom is Matt. Interestingly enough the gloss one has an anti glare panel in Matt black as per the other Spad I did.

I think I’m going for the gloss look

Managed to get an hour or so in this after.

3896974A-CB2D-494C-960F-D119127C4FAF.jpeg

tidied up the paintwork with some chromium green. Seems a shame to cover this lot

0916FC56-072C-4237-A471-7EA2EC530786.jpeg

lifted a little bit of paint to expose green and the base aluminium.

27F077CE-66C6-4540-B221-82070E86F11D.jpeg

Going to try and not over do it.

AE713D5E-CB28-4D32-B720-B7D72404663C.jpeg

843A9250-E494-4566-88C3-1077858C13B6.jpeg

In the middle of a disaster at the minute which may be terminal. Two identical cups - one with water and the other with solvent. One for cleaning the airbrush and the other for dipping a toothbrush in to gently sand off the leading edge of the wing.

D17B37E5-6376-4494-B571-9DCDF0FE6E1C.jpeg

FC3E447A-8359-4B79-B686-6B043435C455.jpeg

54237CD2-4661-4888-B752-E521DC2D71A6.jpeg

I’ll know if I can recover it tomorrow

the old weathering question, it has to be down to the intensity of total war wartime ops over post war lower intensity operations, even during operations in Vietnam and Korea, the length of time on critical operations must have made a difference to ground crew maintenance opportunities. NSP mentioned screen duty, the ever present threat from submarine attack to the parent vessel. Aircrews must have been as exhausted as their planes were weathered.

I’ve rescued it, but that’s an end to exposing any of the aluminium or chromium green.

1AFCF759-D531-4186-B582-BE84F21EF60F.jpeg

all the fcuking work......

Well done Si - don't give up chap. If you do, it'll be just an excellent build but not an exceptional build as we've all come to expect from the Master.....

It's a crock. I came close to blatting it to bits with a rifle at the weekend.

It's a crock. I came close to blatting it to bits with a rifle at the weekend.
I don’t know, some artists can be so temperamental at times :)

I don’t know, some artists can be so temperamental at times :)
Brush paint one in 1:72 and then re-address your opinion. :)
Well done Si - don't give up chap. If you do, it'll be just an excellent build but not an exceptional build as we've all come to expect from the Master.....
The problem I have it I quite merrily coated the whole thing in what I thought was water and the paint has reacted to the thinners. The only way of addressing it it to micro mesh the whole thing and repaint it, or coat it in detol and strip it back to the plastic. Or bin it