Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds A-1 AD-6 Douglas Skyraider in 1/32nd scale

I bet it couldn't RTB and land with only one wing, though:-

Well, not without an IAF wonk on the stick, anyway...

:D

That’s a bit impressive.

meanwhile at the bat cave....

D331E4D6-2A96-4788-BAED-FA7C2F41C242.jpeg

EA89447F-CC22-4CD2-B5E2-1FD62417AE0C.jpeg

I was hoping to get the navy blue on today but as a result of necking 4 champagne and raspberry cocktails, I wasn’t functioning until after lunch so I’ve timed out today. All I got done was the rest of the green components. The more eagle eyed will spot that the flaps were blue, as were the lower and upper intakes. I had to nick these parts and knock up two sets of flaps from the third Spad kit as you can’t get fcuking detol anywhere, which is what I use to strip paint. Bloody Covid manic shopping is even affecting the modelling.

Should get started on the first piece of weathering in the week. Won’t get any done tonight as I’ve just necked my first champagne and raspberry vodka cocktail

blows your head off - deffo worth a go and a guaranteed knicker dropper. Just saying.

Not got much done this week because of the worky thing but I have prepared the wiring for the engine which I’ve decided to wire up as you can see some of it.......

anyway. The big reveal has started on the green which you’ll see in an earlier post I applied a worn effects fluid underneath the green, and this is why

DFCFF166-D698-4EA3-8183-EDA645AF03E9.jpeg

So the panel lines are picked out and some wear end tear on the leading edge.

B7BBDA53-1045-463B-BAEC-46C391253CF0.jpeg

leading edge on the wing done as well. Basically you scrub the paint gently with a wet tooth brush and it lifts off the green to reveal the dull aluminium underneath.

40E98BFD-AA2B-4CFD-91B2-37BB53588BA7.jpeg

E918292A-F9A9-443C-A757-DB5D3586EF73.jpeg

So I’ve got all the panel lines to pick out now then it’s ready for a coat of gloss varnish to protect and lock the green. Once the gloss varnish is done, it’s time for a top coat of the worn effects fluid before I apply the navy blue.

And that’s the upper surface on the wing done

7EACC916-799B-45F1-BB22-A138BF302D0F.jpeg

5DBE0A4E-80A6-4C26-B98E-21819BD0A03F.jpeg

it’s really quick to do, once you’ve been through the pain of applying it

Boxy

GCM
I’d like to think it’s just the screen but to me the green looks awfully yellow

I’d like to think it’s just the screen but to me the green looks awfully yellow
its the colour they used in WW2 and post WW2. I think it was late 50s they went to a darker colour. You also see some of the early 50s place in a mix of the two.

Not that I'm sad or anything......

A little bit of progress but work is getting in the way at the minute

E1D3AEFD-5D05-45D2-9219-A46D0CAC3FEB.jpeg

that and guns.

Right that’s all the lines scribed

AFE778A4-CF95-4F62-B611-09FC42FA1948.jpeg

C02B16F8-5E71-4806-A540-855FF5D904DE.jpeg

2742CCDA-2412-422A-AF37-EF2E94E5FA01.jpeg

so it’s got to sit for a couple of hours to dry off then it’s a coat of gloss varnish then it needs to stand for 24 hours. Don’t think I’ll get the navy blue on this weekend unfortunately

the subtle wear on the leading edge of the engine cowling you've done really well, what did you use?, is it just paint effects or is there a subtle Si technique you'd be willing to release to the world, well, just the Arrse modellers.

the subtle wear on the leading edge of the engine cowling you've done really well, what did you use?, is it just paint effects or is there a subtle Si technique you'd be willing to release to the world, well, just the Arrse modellers.

nothing clever about it. I used the AK fluid but you could use hairspray. Paint over it with acrylics and when the acrylic is dry, Gently scrub with a wet tooth brush.

@SPROCKET321 - here you go. This is the stuff. Toothpicks to pick out the panel lines and a toothbrush to do bigger surfaces like the leading edge on the wings and the panels for the guns mounted in the wings.

0FEA3B73-D506-42E4-A9F7-9EFA017C40B3.jpeg

I have managed to get the obligatory two coats on all surfaces and this stuff takes a half an hour to go off. It’s getting close to beer o’clock, but technically speaking, I could actually get the first coat of navy blue on it tonight when I’ve dropped the mrs’ mother off.........

ZW Clanger

Old-Salt
@SPROCKET321 - here you go. This is the stuff. Toothpicks to pick out the panel lines and a toothbrush to do bigger surfaces like the leading edge on the wings and the panels for the guns mounted in the wings.

View attachment 513133

I have managed to get the obligatory two coats on all surfaces and this stuff takes a half an hour to go off. It’s getting close to beer o’clock, but technically speaking, I could actually get the first coat of navy blue on it tonight when I’ve dropped the mrs’ mother off.........
Love your work mate and I’m no model builder- not since I was a kid and had them hanging from my bedroom ceiling.

Gen question:
You have the panels clearly visible and the gaps between the panels worn down to aluminium. Would this be the case?
I would have thought that the panel gaps/joins would have been darker intact paint aside from the leading edge of each panel given that they are somewhat protected from airflow.

As I say gen question and of real interest.

@ Sprocket the Sunderland build is fantastic congratulations.

Love your work mate and I’m no model builder- not since I was a kid and had them hanging from my bedroom ceiling.

Gen question:
You have the panels clearly visible and the gaps between the panels worn down to aluminium. Would this be the case?
I would have thought that the panel gaps/joins would have been darker intact paint aside from the leading edge of each panel given that they are somewhat protected from airflow.

As I say gen question and of real interest.

@ Sprocket the Sunderland build is fantastic congratulations.

apparently not - there are a lot of piccies showing some wear on panel lines.

I’ve taken the liberty of exposing pretty much every panel line on the Spad with the aluminium and chromium green primer as it will be easier when it’s had the navy blue top coat applied. There will only be a few panel lines exposed through the navy blue top coat and if a I‘d not done every single line before applying the navy blue, I’d never find the odad line I do want to expose. Hope that makes sense. All will be revealed in the new few days - it’s not going to look like a patchwork quilt, which is what it looks like now.

what is it they used to say about piss poor planning? It’s all in the prep.

Don’t like spraying when there is no natural light, but we will see what it’s like tomoz. Undoubtedly be bits that need touching up.

FDF2B08C-E97B-48A2-BF0E-B58CCFE3D594.jpeg

62C5E242-C48A-441A-B44C-17EFF3E70300.jpeg

7EDA1CE1-C49C-487D-92CD-EF042B1A4C34.jpeg

As CC rightly said “sinister looking beast” and a worthy son of the Thunderbolt.
But to me the “Evil one” in that Navy Blue will always be the Corsair!
Your work though Si, really is enjoyable!

It's a sinister-looking beast in the dark blue.
As CC rightly said “sinister looking beast” and a worthy son of the Thunderbolt.
But to me the “Evil one” in that Navy Blue will always be the Corsair!
Your work though Si, really is enjoyable!
Thank you. Been pretty frantic the last few weeks trying to keep the lights on so I’m well behind.
282E2BE8-0967-4554-94DA-DAAD0F928169.jpeg

05B5BFED-F850-4779-9795-74393843A614.jpeg

sinister is a good word. Can’t wait to start to crack on with the next stage. Bit to go yet through

Latest Threads