Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds A-1 AD-6 Douglas Skyraider in 1/32nd scale

... This is one of the reasons I like this site so much, where else would you get such high standards of model-making and levels of discourse on something as mundane as oil staining?

and there was me thinking what a bunch of sad b@stards we are and what the world coming to when you can have an on line discussion about oil stains on a 60 year old plane!

E6936718-C807-42EA-AABA-0D1D913E3932.jpeg

I do love ARRSE!!

here is the first cowl that I managed to get done this morning

aardvark64

War Hero
and there was me thinking what a bunch of sad b@stards we are and what the world coming to when you can have an on line discussion about oil stains on a 60 year old plane!

View attachment 497827
I do love ARRSE!!

here is the first cowl that I managed to get done this morning
One excellent isn't enough.....

aardvark64

War Hero
Thank you. Quite looking forward to nailing the Korean one. White oil stains should be interesting. We can have a long debate about them!
It'll be curtains for the thread if we do :)

5270856B-0235-4CE2-B802-9537176771A2.jpeg

30FC766E-C57D-4DB7-9FED-1CC6ED881586.jpeg

45A3FD62-CF65-4CD6-BFB0-C751ACC533FB.jpeg

F85288CC-554E-416A-812C-E173876FB304.jpeg

51FE8E95-103A-432F-8299-44908D1A4DB4.jpeg

onto the canopy now and it’s pretty much done.

These have turned up

1B577345-CC6A-4A52-AC1F-910D650A3745.jpeg

should be done by Friday!

Mate, this is looking sweet as a nut.

Ta. It will look better when that bloody canopy is finished.

Its fcuking heavy - I keep bricking it when I bring it downstairs. I have visions of the Avenger falling off the kitchen table when she caught it with the washing. It was like watching a plane being pushed off the side of a carrier......

I stand corrected.

There's probably a computational fluid dynamics calculation that will explain it.

Airflow can do funny things. The Kiwis (from memory) had a problem with their P-3 Orions, for instance. They fitted a camera dome on the underside and it caused problems with ordnance release from the weapons bay. The solution was to paint it in very rough paint - and sort of grouting rough - in order to un-smooth the airflows it caused.
To allow for eddy-shedding. It's for the same reason that industrial flues have spiral flow-deflectors fitted to them, to stop them resonating in strong winds (well, basically. Due to Reynolds numbers and sh!t)..

aardvark64

War Hero
Whatever next? Will you be filing off part of the underside of the wheels to simulate the tyre under load...

Looks utterly stunning!

Latest Threads