Builds A-1 AD-6 Douglas Skyraider in 1/32nd scale

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
well - there is the Korean War Spad to nail and the Cromwell and there is always the....... the........ the............ Wokka
Well on looking at the average age at death I've got around 20 years left, I'm not going to see the Wokka built :eek:

Well on looking at the average age at death I've got around 20 years left, I'm not going to see the Wokka built :eek:
I hate to say this but there is probably 3 months work to finish the Wokka.....

As I’ve said many times, I’m am planning to nail it. I need a break for flyee things so am going to do that Cromwell next for the VE Day builds. Then it’s the Wokka

Got the cowlings on now.

E17E879B-8DAB-40C5-88B8-2D17AE46A61B.jpeg

44F818F9-70C0-47A1-915D-B9097BE943CA.jpeg

6CB078BB-E823-43B6-8016-7972E22F5EDD.jpeg

C96496C0-D497-4976-818D-A2B554792E34.jpeg

B5110610-C9EC-4429-AE6D-BB442FA41811.jpeg

little bit of work to do with the airbrush on the hinges to finish it off then it wants a coat of Matt varnish and it’s onto the canopy and I’m basically done!

aardvark64

War Hero
The cowling panels look bright by comparison to the rest of the airframe, but that might be a trick of the light. Are you going to 'age' those panels as well?

That is hugely impressive. I was a bit surprised about it being tooled up with the wings folded and the stresses that must have placed on the junctions but from the pics you posted it did happen.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Was there a load limit whilst folded?

So what will you do when Mrs. Simmerit smashes it to smithereens by accident?
Funnily enough I was looking at the Avenger build the other day - it was coming along nicely and it’s demise was a bit of a pisser... She sobbed her heart out when she smashed it, and now shits herself whenever I bring the Spad downstairs! She says I should get it in a cabinet ASAP. I think she’s scared of the Wokka!

76A8D864-CB57-40E1-9447-38AA8929B445.jpeg

that’s the new hound eating the mrs’ son’s shoe which he left dumped in the kitchen last night - the w@nker smashed one of the rotors on the Wokka the tw@t. Not that I think he’s an utter throbber or anything.

looking forward to telling him I told him not to dump his shit on the floor!

As my Australian friends might say. “I don’t want to piss in your pocket“ but that is a masterpiece.
thank you. I must say I’m pleased with the engine which turned out OK. There is one gaff that really fcuks me off but I can live with it....

The cowling panels look bright by comparison to the rest of the airframe, but that might be a trick of the light. Are you going to 'age' those panels as well?
they are still covered in gloss varnish and I have some work to do on them before they are matt varnished. You can see the stark contrast between the cowlings and the rest of the plane which has been coated in Matt already.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Was there a load limit whilst folded?
I’ve got a piccie somewhere of one that is carrying 2-3 times the weight in Ordnance - I’ll see if I can find it and post it. I’m not hopeful as I.ve got bloody hundreds of pictures of Spads now!!

I’ll ask the old lads on the Spad forum if there was a limit to the load they carried - I know it was more than a B-17

6C9DC64F-6AD8-44FC-9CD6-951CC50E720E.jpeg

there it is

Last edited:
Extraordinary skill - I take my hat off to you.

Those things under the wings that look like 12'x12' poles in their bag - are they bomblet dispensers or something?

ETA: on your model, not that piccie.

Extraordinary skill - I take my hat off to you.

Those things under the wings that look like 12'x12' poles in their bag - are they bomblet dispensers or something?

ETA: on your model, not that piccie.
thanks and yep - that’s exactly what they are. The tubes were packed with bomblets- I think there were three or four different types of ‘surprise’ that were dropped by it.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Think about it - airflow will blow all the oil and rubbish backwards over the airframe. Other than the groundies’ oily fingers, the cowls will remain relatively pristine.

Think about it - airflow will blow all the oil and rubbish backwards over the airframe. Other than the groundies’ oily fingers, the cowls will remain relatively pristine.
Nope - they dont.

It's quite odd but oil leaked on the bottom of the cowls and ran upwards in vertical lines. What's strange about the leaks is they appear to have emerged from the air intake at the bottom of the fuselage. The leaks didnt run the full length of the cowls towards the props.

Not that I am sad or anything but I have had a long look at this....

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Nope - they dont.

It's quite odd but oil leaked on the bottom of the cowls and ran upwards in vertical lines. What's strange about the leaks is they appear to have emerged from the air intake at the bottom of the fuselage. The leaks didnt run the full length of the cowls towards the props.

Not that I am sad or anything but I have had a long look at this....
I stand corrected.

There's probably a computational fluid dynamics calculation that will explain it.

Airflow can do funny things. The Kiwis (from memory) had a problem with their P-3 Orions, for instance. They fitted a camera dome on the underside and it caused problems with ordnance release from the weapons bay. The solution was to paint it in very rough paint - and sort of grouting rough - in order to un-smooth the airflows it caused.

Go on - I'd still say that the cowls are a little cleaner. :-D
I'm trying to listen to a panel discussion with a bunch of europeans talking badly in pigeon english about a subject none of them appear to know much about.......

Do you want me to find some dirty cowls for you? It may be a welcome relief from this on-line conference.

No the wonder we periodically went into Europe and kicked the shit out of various European countries....... :)

aardvark64

War Hero
Go on - I'd still say that the cowls are a little cleaner. :-D
They are on the outside, relatively speaking. But on the inside is likely to be a different story ;)

aardvark64

War Hero
... This is one of the reasons I like this site so much, where else would you get such high standards of model-making and levels of discourse on something as mundane as oil staining?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm trying to listen to a panel discussion with a bunch of europeans talking badly in pigeon english about a subject none of them appear to know much about.......

Do you want me to find some dirty cowls for you? It may be a welcome relief from this on-line conference.

No the wonder we periodically went into Europe and kicked the shit out of various European countries....... :)
It'll keep. :)

Latest Threads