Builds A-1 AD-6 Douglas Skyraider in 1/32nd scale

aardvark64

War Hero
No they’d be closed. Ammo boxes open yes but probably only when the guns are being loaded with link
Would you have more figures around the Korean version? Armourers and the like?

NSP

LE
Cant find many pictures of it being tooled up.
There must have been a crew to bomb it up - it didn't just happen by magic whilst the pilot copped some sack time. Maybe a figure loading the link, so you've a reason to show the interior detail through open panels?

Maybe get a figures set of groundcrew and have an empty pylon so you can show them hefting the last bomb onto the aircraft as one of them is loading link on the other wing?

Yeah - I can see why the airbrake would be closed on the ground!!

This could be fun, too:-

And this one:-

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
not sure how much exhaust stains you will see on the navy blue one
Surely, as much as on the light grey - you'll see less shine, and some of the markings will still be mucky.

There'd certainly be heat wear - look at your first picture in post #1,153.

It's been an education, this thread. I hadn't realised just how mucky Skyraiders were.

Surely, as much as on the light grey - you'll see less shine, and some of the markings will still be mucky.

There'd certainly be heat wear - look at your first picture in post #1,153.

It's been an education, this thread. I hadn't realised just how mucky Skyraiders were.
Looking at them, bizarrely, the oil stains appear to be white. Not sure why that is, but there is a lot of white staining on the Blue Spads

LARD

LE
Oil mixed with salt water into a sort of emulsion?

Looking at them, bizarrely, the oil stains appear to be white. Not sure why that is, but there is a lot of white staining on the Blue Spads
Lead?
It leaves a light grey deposit on spark plugs (those of us that remember leaded fuel).

The engine - all 55 odd litres of it - would have been running on 100/130 or 115/145 octane fully-leaded avgas.

Last edited:
Lead?
It leaves a light grey deposit on spark plugs (those of us that remember leaded fuel).

The engine - all 55 odd litres of it - would have been running on 100/130 or 115/145 octane fully-leaded avgas.
That sounds like a very plausible explanation to me

Karamoja

War Hero
There must have been a crew to bomb it up - it didn't just happen by magic whilst the pilot copped some sack time. Maybe a figure loading the link, so you've a reason to show the interior detail through open panels?

Maybe get a figures set of groundcrew and have an empty pylon so you can show them hefting the last bomb onto the aircraft as one of them is loading link on the other wing?

Yeah - I can see why the airbrake would be closed on the ground!!

This could be fun, too:-

And this one:-
Last Friday, I saw the A-1 Haynes book for sale in the Works for £5.00

PFGEN

GCM
What's it look like on the other side of the fin? Two red...? That would be 1x nav light, 1x beacon/formation light. Green steady with red flashing would bear this out. Also, I would guess that in areas likely to be seen by the opposition they'd go dark anyway.

As per other posts, could be a signal system for on deck. Most planes carry their nav lights in the wingtips with the "here I am" strobes.
From the photos I found simply using google it was the same on both sides of the fin hence my crap joke hinting backwards flying. I'm guessing they're probably used on deck or for formation. Cat shots are usually a series of clear hand signals between the pilot and shooter. Wrong signal or no signal and launch is aborted. I doubt this would be trusted to lights.

Edit: Just seen comment on IFF via light combinations.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Last Friday, I saw the A-1 Haynes book for sale in the Works for £5.00
Go back and bag it! I just got the Panther Haynes manual from Amazon on a price-drop from £17.99 to £7.00. Bargain - very absorbing read.

Taking a short break from the Nam Spad as I’m a bit sick of it + it’s hot! 34 where we are today and the hounds are suffering.

Anyway. This one is going together really quickly

90D93ED1-7421-4846-8E29-CA7C1FBF2A6E.jpeg

93CFF65C-DFC0-45B0-8C1A-B351A11EC402.jpeg

78897504-BD08-42B4-A503-DD936E8E123E.jpeg