Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds A-1 AD-6 Douglas Skyraider in 1/32nd scale

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just in passing, while it's obvious that you're quite, quite mad and possibly obsessive, your skill and attention to detail are incredible.

Thanks lads. It’s been a slog.

just started the snag list

E7282575-DC8F-4A1B-9C14-01D551766C47.jpeg

so that’s the navigation lights completed - clear green arrived this morning.

5518606F-DF01-4EDC-AA9C-2C3285D2A691.jpeg

made a start on the Ordnance but just realised I’ve got to nail a snag before it’s fully tooled up. Got to paint the bloody machine guns. I had to clean off the paint as they were covered in shite. Won’t get any more done today as I’m about to go on the lash!

^Wot he said ^

PFGEN

GCM
Red and green on both sides is a sneaky way to fool the enemy at night. Switch over and they think you're going in the opposite direction.

I don't know why it is but a quick look at a few pictures would indicate this to be perfectly correct.

Last edited:

PFGEN

GCM
Sensible answer; possible lighting for different situations. On a modern jet the wingtip lights are on steady when stationary to show which jets were running. Useful at night in a busy environment. When taxi-ing they're switched to strobe along with the taxi light. Then there are lights for anti-collision, formation, refuelling and NVG use. I'm guessing the extra lights will be for something similar.

Red port, green stboard. Tail white. Maybe they’re not “Nav” lights at all, the might be an “aircraft armed” warning?
08FA4A9F-D5E1-487C-A3E5-4986DC66C3EF.jpeg
you can just bout make out the red and green on the tail on this one

4(T)

LE
Red port, green stboard. Tail white. Maybe they’re not “Nav” lights at all, the might be an “aircraft armed” warning?

I expect they are to do with carrier ops, perhaps a visual indication of something (full revs? Pilot ready?) to the catapult operator.

And
I expect they are to do with carrier ops, perhaps a visual indication of something (full revs? Pilot ready?) to the catapult operator.

2816DE58-61F5-4E07-A4A6-063F22777732.jpeg

you can see better on this shot

Just found this:

He reckons they are supposed to be orange and white (not red and green!) running lights - a holdover from old WW2 Navy procedures.

Ive looked a lot of photos and they ones I’ve seen look red and green. If someone can come up with a definitive, I’ll change them!!!

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Red and green on both sides is a sneaky way to fool the enemy at night. Switch over and they think you're going in the opposite direction.

I don't know why it is but a quick look at a few pictures would indicate this to be perfectly correct.
What's it look like on the other side of the fin? Two red...? That would be 1x nav light, 1x beacon/formation light. Green steady with red flashing would bear this out. Also, I would guess that in areas likely to be seen by the opposition they'd go dark anyway.

As per other posts, could be a signal system for on deck. Most planes carry their nav lights in the wingtips with the "here I am" strobes.

NSP

LE
Ive looked a lot of photos and they ones I’ve seen look red and green. If someone can come up with a definitive, I’ll change them!!!
Uh-huh - I've seen museum pieces with a red over green on the fin. See post above.

NSP

LE
Sensible answer; possible lighting for different situations.
Possibly. If you look at the mast on a modern ship there's all sorts of lights that can be switched on in standard combinations - for example, when we're on DP and can't get out of the way of other vessels we'll show "restricted manoeuvrability" with a red over white over red masthead light stack at night.

Mast at night01.jpg

Red-white-red01.jpg

Red-white-red02.jpg

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Actually, they;ll think you're flying backwards!!!

Latest Threads