Builds A-1 AD-6 Douglas Skyraider in 1/32nd scale

PFGEN

GCM
what’s up with them?
I made the first mistake using a gloss varnish, hence the background was glossy before application. Couldn't get them to turn matt with a coating of matt varnish. Stripped them off and started again. This time a matt surface and used lashings of Mircosol and set. Still shiny, ordered a new set from Two-bobs just to try something else but they seemed to be worse. Have new tried various decal papers and I'm still looking. (I lost the originals and have now requested a new set although I'll only use a few of them.)

I made the first mistake using a gloss varnish, hence the background was glossy before application. Couldn't get them to turn matt with a coating of matt varnish. Stripped them off and started again. This time a matt surface and used lashings of Mircosol and set. Still shiny, ordered a new set from Two-bobs just to try something else but they seemed to be worse. Have new tried various decal papers and I'm still looking. (I lost the originals and have now requested a new set although I'll only use a few of them.)
That’s really odd. Have you tried satin varnish instead of Matt?

By that do you mean under or on top of the decal? I've tried under without much success.
gloss base, then decals and a satin finish.

what varnish are you using ?

PFGEN

GCM
Vallejo, Tamiya and Mig. They've all worked well in the past. Base coat is Vallejo light ghost grey (one of the few available). It's matt. I'll try the satin finish and see what that produces.

Vallejo, Tamiya and Mig. They've all worked well in the past. Base coat is Vallejo light ghost grey (one of the few available). It's matt. I'll try the satin finish and see what that produces.
That’s a really odd one.

NSP

LE
Do you gloss them for display? I would have thought the real thing would have been matt for obvious reasons, and so a "life" model would also be matt?

Do you gloss them for display? I would have thought the real thing would have been matt for obvious reasons, and so a "life" model would also be matt?
gloss finish is good for the decals to adhere to. The other advantage is you can apply all your weathering to it without damaging the underlying paint work if you fcuk up. Once finished, you then apply Matt varnish to seal it up. Gloss is better than Matt for the undercoat for decals and weathering basically. People use Matt or satin varnish to finish off their models

Interesting youtube of it. The Spad's first nickname was the Pedigree Pulveriser!

Shitey b0ll0cks as the saying goes.

easy rectification but a pain in the Arrse to do, which is spray the centre blue and repaint the star in white only pointing in the correct direction.

moral of story? Don’t model when you are knackered

its on the wrong wing? Top of port wing, underneath on Stbd?
no its on the correct wing for this particular plane. Spads has the stars and bars on either underside wing interestingly enough.

The stars and bars on the underside wing are upside down. The pointed star should be facing forwards And the points faces bloody backwards.

no its on the correct wing for this particular plane. Spads has the stars and bars on either underside wing interestingly enough.

The stars and bars on the underside wing are upside down. The pointed star should be facing forwards And the points faces bloody backwards.
I saw the star pointing the wrong way, but I thought the insignia was only applied to upper port and lower starboard wing surfaces. If you fit the port wing tip on the stbd side it will be the right way round...

Managed to get the other side of the tail finished last night, but had a disaster with another decal from the ZM decal set. They are really fragile - that’s my excuse anyway. Had to order a second set which won’t me here for up to 2 weeks as they are coming from the Fatherland. Can’t get them in the U.K. again.

72A262BF-6EAD-42F6-A294-DA7F65496479.jpeg

so that’s 5 decals bollocked up so far, three of which I can sort. Decals can be rock hard. Just saying......