Builds A-1 AD-6 Douglas Skyraider in 1/32nd scale

Like the Avenger, it’s a lot of aircraft to haul around with one engine.
the engine was so powerful it often pulled the plane over the side of carriers if it was rev’d up to quickly by the pilot. I seem to recall reading it was responsible for more deaths than combat

the engine was so powerful it often pulled the plane over the side of carriers if it was rev’d up to quickly by the pilot. I seem to recall reading it was responsible for more deaths than combat
When I went through the flying school one of the “old and bold” civvy instructors had been a TP during the war. He told a story about his first encounter with a Typhoon where he slammed open the throttle for take of only to have the aircraft corkscrew itself into the ground due to the torque from the engine and huge propellor.

4(T)

LE

You'd have though that, because weight/performance was not as critical in a ground attack aircraft vs a fighter, they'd have fitted contra rotating props to eliminate the torque effects.

You'd have though that, because weight/performance was not as critical in a ground attack aircraft vs a fighter, they'd have fitted contra rotating props to eliminate the torque effects.
Its proposed replacement had just that.

Indeed. I got my douglases mixed up.

Our local Shackleton has contra rotators. Sounds amazing.
The best sounding contra I've heard (sorry for the thread drift, and it's not a piston jobby) is the An-22.

aardvark64

War Hero
Miss these things:

Managed to get a bit more time in but this is slow and hard bloody work as you’ve got to be so careful with the micro sol as it basically melts the decals.

019BCD59-EEEF-499F-B6A4-4B4FA91799F6.jpeg

I’m going to call it a draw there and leave them to melt and shape into the contours. The tail decals were an utter twat. Just saying..

One more quick shot!!

7C489006-7702-4C2D-A4F6-F729F9F9DD8F.jpeg

so after the decals, it’s panel lines, then onto weathering. I think it will take me til next weekend to get the decals and panel lines done unfortunately

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Managed to get a bit more time in but this is slow and hard bloody work as you’ve got to be so careful with the micro sol as it basically melts the decals.

View attachment 485368
I’m going to call it a draw there and leave them to melt and shape into the contours. The tail decals were an utter twat. Just saying..
Really looking forward to seeing this done, mate.

Latest Threads