Builds A-1 AD-6 Douglas Skyraider in 1/32nd scale

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the shading.

Will the shading be done this side of Xmas? ;)
Believe it or not, I'm planning to start it today. The shading is fairly straightforward to be honest. The usual array of black boxes. The challenge with the Vietnam Spad is the weathering - oil and the hammer they seem to have got on the under surfaces with the constant loading of lots of ordnance. The Korean war Spad is a different set of problems altogether as its glossy navy blue, and the surface area on a 1/32nd model is mahoosive. Last time I tackled something like that was the Dauntless, which got hammer from salt in the air in the Pacific, whereas Korean was a land mass, so less salt exposure other than taking off, landing and transport on the decks of carriers. The other issue is there are so few colour photos available of both Spads in service, I've not got a lot of reference materials.

Just debating doing the A-10, a Tiffy and the Wokka as parallel builds after finishing the Spads and the Cromwell!

Here are a couple of black and whites that give you an insight into the shading and weathering opportunity!

Ad-6_skyraider_1959_USN.jpg

AD-4-Skyraider-BuNo-128988-.jpg

White added. Just got to do the undersurfaces in the same way and we are ready to spray it. Undersurfaces will have yellow and brown added as well as the black.

EFDBC4D7-D82D-4446-A4D3-BBF36FA4D5FD.jpeg

daz

LE
White added. Just got to do the undersurfaces in the same way and we are ready to spray it. Undersurfaces will have yellow and brown added as well as the black.

View attachment 475827
Now its marked out, you can really see the amount of pre-shading needed

NSP

LE

View attachment 475827
What's the crack with that, then? Does it show through the top coat to make it appear darker around the panel joins or somesuch?

D93E9E77-0624-4E73-AB54-F9C2867B187A.jpeg

I had a Moggy 1000 that looked like that...

What's the crack with that, then? Does it show through the top coat to make it appear darker around the panel joins or somesuch?
it picks out the panel lines but more importantly breaks up the vast expanse of grey and white. 1/32nd are bloody big planes and the surface area you have to paint is huge, so if you don’t break it up, it looks stupid. I always struggle with it because a lot of modellers massively overdo it. The trick is getting it right.

Now its marked out, you can really see the amount of pre-shading needed
lots! Its mahoosive!

And from the top if anyone is interested

422D489F-E173-470D-99AE-3648206305FC.jpeg

missed a couple of panels on the tail fin on the left... easily done. Leaving it overnight now then a quick once over on the underside with black shading and it’s ready to start with some paint!

The Wokka will have to be pre shades also by the way - when I do it

daz

LE

View attachment 475882

missed a couple of panels on the tail fin on the left... easily done. Leaving it overnight now then a quick once over on the underside with black shading and it’s ready to start with some paint!

Should be fun masking the cockpit and canopy

Managed to get twenty minutes on the Spad tonight and done the under surfaces and touched up (Fnar) the upper surfaces. Got some brown and yellow to go on the bits where the oil spills but getting close to paint

DF64F2A7-12D8-411B-9EE2-041EEFD82390.jpeg

9C4F67B8-030B-4C72-9AA3-48F71BF75A7D.jpeg

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the shading.

Will the shading be done this side of Xmas? ;)
Just read Cheating Death, a Vietnam memoir by George Marrett.

1) he flew USAF Skyraiders. Spad was a general term for them. Sandy was the callsign of search/rescue planes.

2) with reference to previous pics...
When we taxied into our parking area we noticed that the Skyraider ground crews had decorated the planes that would fly strike missions on Christmas the next day. They painted all the ordnance red for the holiday. It didn’t seem like Christmas; it was so warm the ground crews were working bare chested.

3) His 'personal' A1 was later the inspiration for this 1:48 tamiya kit.

Just read Cheating Death, a Vietnam memoir by George Marrett.

1) he flew USAF Skyraiders. Spad was a general term for them. Sandy was the callsign of search/rescue planes.

2) with reference to previous pics...
When we taxied into our parking area we noticed that the Skyraider ground crews had decorated the planes that would fly strike missions on Christmas the next day. They painted all the ordnance red for the holiday. It didn’t seem like Christmas; it was so warm the ground crews were working bare chested.

3) His 'personal' A1 was later the inspiration for this 1:48 tamiya kit.
Thanks for the link :study:

View attachment 475882

You need to take a rest mate. You are meant to put tea bags in your mug.

Fark Kinell!

I had a quiet hour at work and wandered into this thread, far and away the most interesting thing posted here lately.

This is brilliant, are all the modelling threads this entertaining?

Jesus Simmerit, whether its OCD or not your attention to detail is mind-boggling, that engine, holy shit, amazing.

By the way, did you ever finish that wine?

Fark Kinell!

I had a quiet hour at work and wandered into this thread, far and away the most interesting thing posted here lately.

This is brilliant, are all the modelling threads this entertaining?

Jesus Simmerit, whether its OCD or not your attention to detail is mind-boggling, that engine, holy shit, amazing.

By the way, did you ever finish that wine?
try this one. Its keeping us all amused

and some witty banter in here

Wine long gone, but there's always more :)

I have to say this thread is a very welcome relief from the everyday goings on elsewhere. I'm almost inspired to try something like that myself although I'm not sure it would go down well with OC Domestic. She keeps nagging me to do something with my two railway layouts.

Latest Threads