Builds A-1 AD-6 Douglas Skyraider in 1/32nd scale

Having not made any models for quite a number of years, I was a bit shocked at the cost of one of these on fleabay :D
it’s not a kids hobby when you build the top end stuff.

bit more progress. It’s flying together....

E6174D7A-FF7D-4FAA-82E9-8E4DE9417976.jpeg

C448F925-9A66-480B-B9DA-E336C54C061B.jpeg

Having not made any models for quite a number of years, I was a bit shocked at the cost of one of these on fleabay :D
I saw that Airfix has come out with a 1/72nd Whitley, but I was staggered that it would cost over $50 Cdn to buy a kit.

I’m actually getting close to starting to paint believe it or not. This is going together really fast.

0E4A1EDC-C9E4-4CFE-A4B5-70A4DA615192.jpeg

I’m going to paint the engine disassembled. A first for me as I normally largely assemble it on a plane. A bit of work required to get this to a decent standard

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
Gents, have any of you made, or considered making a 1/32nd scale Hornet (the one of my avatar and numerous posts)? I googled and found this:

Gents, have any of you made, or considered making a 1/32nd scale Hornet (the one of my avatar and numerous posts)? I googled and found this:

Not personally, but I do have a 1/24th Mossie.

Got my eye on a Hawker Hunter..............

review here for you. You will need a national lottery win to buy the kit. Its HPH...... £368 quid for a kit

and build. Its nice

Wooden Wonder

War Hero

review here for you. You will need a national lottery win to buy the kit. Its HPH...... £368 quid for a kit

and build. Its nice
Ah, no, I am not a modeller. I would, however, consider entering an agreement with one of you expert chaps to build one to spec (i.e. squadron/markings) on my behalf. If you were interested in taking on such a commission, please PM me to discuss. Cheers.

ETA: it would have to be the F3 ... I’m sorry, but the NF21 was an aesthetic abomination with that thimble radome.

ches

LE
Always been a fav of mine, the old Sandy

'Sandy low lead, sandy low lead. I'm done for Sandy, my backs broke. Lay everything on my location. Out.'

Not built one (1/72 Airfix) since I was a kid, but loved the aircraft:

Looks like they even had some A2A kills as well. the last victory of prop over jet:
Rescue missions sometimes turned into aerial combat. On Oct. 9, 1966, when a Navy Phantom went down 20 miles southwest of Hanoi, four Skyraiders of attack squadron VA-176 flew from USS Intrepid to provide cover for the rescue attempt. Four MiG-17s intervened. In the ensuing dogfight, the lead Spads scored one MiG damaged and another probable.

Then Lt. j.g. Tom Patton, flying the No. 4 slot, saw that “a MiG darting along above the trees was heading in my direction, but its pilot didn’t see me.” Definitely seeing 20 mm tracers zipping past from Patton’s guns, the MiG pilot pulled up. “This was a fatal mistake on his part,” Patton recalled. “He was climbing, losing speed, while I still had plenty. Maybe his reversal would have worked against another MiG-17, but … I ended up at his six o’clock.”

Patton stayed on the MiG’s tail, firing continuously. When his guns quit, he launched his 5-inch Zuni rockets. The MiG nosed over and plunged into the cloud deck. Patton saw the pilot eject. That was the last victory by a prop-driven fighter over a jet. Patton was awarded the Silver Star for his actions that day.

Some bits turned up today which is good news

9A40E30B-9644-414F-A338-CED1A05DCE5D.jpeg

I’m waiting for the pilot and the Aires cockpit which will hopefully be here by Saturday, as well as some new paints.

F141E7D3-7961-43AB-AD32-9F9947E35C5D.jpeg

2FC7419D-3459-4A7E-9C51-853EA80716C5.jpeg

gun barrels and the mask for the canopy also here. Guns were stopping me cracking on with the wings so I can make some progress now

yes

View attachment 446030

It's not a piss take. They actually dropped toilet bombs, and there are two in the kit

View attachment 446031

View attachment 446032
Initially it looks like it's designed to flush out insurgents but the logos suggest it's an electronic warfare payload contained in an improvised aerodynamic housing. However it was just a u/s pan that would have been thrown overboard anyway and was fitted with a nose fuse. Here is an account of the toilet bomb that was launched in 1965 to commemorate the 6 millionth pound of ordnance dropped.

THAT TIME A U.S. NAVY A-1H SKYRAIDER DROPPED A "TOILET BOMB" ON NORTH VIETNAM - The Aviation Geek Club

As a bonus there was a follow on video on YT featuring Skyraider action in Vietnam

i'm not sure if this is a stupid question but it's something i've wondered whenever i've seen a skyraider; why is the fuselage so bloody big?

is there a load of galley slaves in the back peddling like crazy to keep the thing airborne?

The Aires resin cockpit has turned up today. It’s top quality but there is a debate to have which is use the eduard instrument panel on the kit cockpit or the aires cockpit and if it’s good, do I use the majority of the aires cockpit at all. I’ll probably assemble both and take a view. I’m in need of the pilot now however and he’s not due to turn up til between now and Saturday.

was hoping to do something on it today but have just had the last remaining wisdom tooth out on the bottom and currently in complete and utter fcuking agony. Pain has just hit 9 out of 10 on the scale. Fcuk this hurts.

1D614C9A-CB50-463F-99D3-4D49EF921AEF.jpeg

QRK2

LE
The Aires resin cockpit has turned up today. It’s top quality but there is a debate to have which is use the eduard instrument panel on the kit cockpit or the aires cockpit and if it’s good, do I use the majority of the aires cockpit at all. I’ll probably assemble both and take a view. I’m in need of the pilot now however and he’s not due to turn up til between now and Saturday.

was hoping to do something on it today but have just had the last remaining wisdom tooth out on the bottom and currently in complete and utter fcuking agony. Pain has just hit 9 out of 10 on the scale. Fcuk this hurts.
You have my sympathy re the tooth, but expecting a pilot to turn up on a Friday or Saturday, really?

You have my sympathy re the tooth, but expecting a pilot to turn up on a Friday or Saturday, really?
He's coming all the way from Paris. He's only little, so it may take him some time, and what with the cross-border checks now we are on the way out, it may take him til Monday Tuesday.

He's not got a passport, so he may have to come across on a boat with some of the dusky illegals.

Lets keep our fingers crossed for the little fella

Another option arrived in case I don’t put the pilot in

D648B141-0FAB-4B35-8B11-E737D196C864.jpeg

Latest Threads