Builds A-1 AD-6 Douglas Skyraider in 1/32nd scale

Assembly started then I’ll wire it and ‘oil’ it up.

E8C780B2-14FC-4AFC-8CB1-B0A563C723D7.jpeg

Sanded down the sides of his flight cap and that might actually work

FE21AD15-58BD-430E-A88B-6BC7AF06DCE7.jpeg

Done the first trial fit of the engine and cockpit today. Had to take a load off the inside of the fuselage with the dremel

A8F5DCA4-3B8C-4FF3-BDC4-CAAC819B537A.jpeg

BC413091-311F-46F1-A846-3768EE0C52C6.jpeg

It’s starting to take shape

3E99A332-E841-4E16-9839-209B47F4A9DF.jpeg

3B7C1586-ED49-45BE-AB2C-DF1631CC5312.jpeg

these lugs are going to have to go as they are preventing me from closing it up. I think I’m going to have to paint the front of it before assembly as well.

Aires instructions non existent on what’s got to go in the fuselage to get their bits to fit

Done the first trial fit of the engine and cockpit today. Had to take a load off the inside of the fuselage with the dremel

View attachment 461684
View attachment 461685

View attachment 461686
View attachment 461687
these lugs are going to have to go as they are preventing me from closing it up. I think I’m going to have to paint the front of it before assembly as well.

Aires instructions non existent on what’s got to go in the fuselage to get their bits to fit
That engine and the exhaust stacks look superb.

That engine and the exhaust stacks look superb.
Yep I'm pleased. I've seen load of these with heavily rusted exhausts. When you look at the real ones, the ends are covered in oil as you'd expect but the exhaust is burnt metal.

I think I've rescued the little fella's hat also - it works now, which is good news

daz

LE

View attachment 461684
View attachment 461685

View attachment 461686
View attachment 461687

I think they basic instructions go something along the lines of "sand enough plastic off so whats left is transparent" ..............just don't over do it ;)

Great job BTW

Undeterred by Covid-19, the Spad storms on. If only I had the same determination where the Wokka was concerned.. it’s next I tell you!! I can feel it....

anyway. Spent a lot of time on line trying to identify the interior colour of the panels covering the engine bay and I’ve settled for white. So the engine bay now painted and I’ve done an exterior of Gull grey, which will enable me to get the engine and cockpit in. On balance, I should have put the engine and cockpit in separately rather than pre assembling, so I may end up taking them apart and assembling separately.

0E6F251E-7768-41BC-B016-994380507AC2.jpeg

looks quite nice

06B92D07-9FC1-4968-98E7-F6F87715576E.jpeg

So this is it having disassembled the Aires cockpit and reassembled it in situ. It’s basically too wide for the Trumpeter kit. Quite hacked off about it and no end of filing will rectify the problem. Basically I’ll have to join the fuselage and fill it.

AF3BCC9B-C949-4462-8F3F-5A47C579B8B1.jpeg

So this is it having disassembled the Aires cockpit and reassembled it in situ. It’s basically too wide for the Trumpeter kit. Quite hacked off about it and no end of filing will rectify the problem. Basically I’ll have to join the fuselage and fill it.

View attachment 463002
That sucks mate. Is it sold as being compatible with the kit?

That sucks mate. Is it sold as being compatible with the kit?
yup. It’s about 4mm too wide. I’ve taken 2mm off each side but that’s as far as I can go. The trumpeter kit also doesn’t help. Two of the fuselage formers have to be cut back about 1mm on each wide as they prevent the joining for the same reason - too wide, but the Aires piece is a piss take.

yup. It’s about 4mm too wide. I’ve taken 2mm off each side but that’s as far as I can go. The trumpeter kit also doesn’t help. Two of the fuselage formers have to be cut back about 1mm on each wide as they prevent the joining for the same reason - too wide, but the Aires piece is a piss take.
I'm sorry to see that, you've invested a lot of time, care and effort on the cockpit :/

Latest Threads