Builds A-1 AD-6 Douglas Skyraider in 1/32nd scale

yes

BRL32012_2.png

It's not a piss take. They actually dropped toilet bombs, and there are two in the kit

Screenshot 2020-01-27 at 09.57.49.png

Screenshot 2020-01-27 at 09.58.17.png

Looks like a nice kit! Could you show us what the marking options are? I'm assuming you're going with VA-176, especially if you're going with the toilet bombs.

Looks like a nice kit! Could you show us what the marking options are? I'm assuming you're going with VA-176, especially if you're going with the toilet bombs.
here are the decals shipped with the kit. Options for Navy or USAF. I’m going with Navy. There are after market decals available. Not sure if I will end up kicking a set up - I’ve not checked how good the set shipped with the kit are yet. Trumpeter dont have a great reputation for quality of their transfers.
BC988FFC-7993-41FD-BBC9-5720118504C1.jpeg

Having woken up at 0fcuking400hrs this morning, I’ve made some progress.

View attachment 446008
View attachment 446009
kit is going together really easy. There are only about 12 parts....... seriously. There isn’t much to build as this is a pretty simple plane. It’s basically an ordnance carriage with a propeller! Needless to say, the majority of the parts are............? Ordnance.

Cockpit is very basic compared to the WW2 stuff. There is bugger all in it.

only downside so far is it’s soft plastic which means you have to be careful with files as it’s easily damaged. I’d say this is a good one for anyone wanting to try and get back into the hobby or get into the hobby to have a crack at.
Are you going to paint the fuse interior zinc chromate yellow like the originals?

Are you going to paint the fuse interior zinc chromate yellow like the originals?
yes but only the bits that are seen. The internal formers in the fuselage are completely hidden from sight. Cockpit, wheel bays and if I expose the guns is pretty much it.

For all its a fairly straightforward and uncomplicated plane (it literally is an ordnance platform), there is quite a lot you can do to display it, so a bit of thought is needed. Engine covers can be opened, covers for guns and ammo opened and the wings can be up or down. I've ordered turned brass guns, so its probably worth while doing something with the guns on display on this one. The obvious downside of the wings up is no ordnance. The wingspan on it is 19 inches, so it is a fair old size.

There is mountains of ordnance with the kit, including the two toilet bombs, which were apparently located by the North Vietnamese after they were dropped

Slime

LE
I`m looking forward to seeing the end result of this one.
The Skyraider was the aeroplane Dieter Dengler was flying, when he was shot down over Laos, interesting chap, depicted by Christian Bale in the film "Rescue Dawn"....

Dieter Dengler - Wikipedia

Rescue Dawn - Wikipedia

That’s a film I’ve not seen, what do you think of it?

I enjoyed BAT 21 even though it had just about nothing based on the real life rescue, but would prefer a more realistic film.

yes but only the bits that are seen. The internal formers in the fuselage are completely hidden from sight. Cockpit, wheel bays and if I expose the guns is pretty much it.

For all its a fairly straightforward and uncomplicated plane (it literally is an ordnance platform), there is quite a lot you can do to display it, so a bit of thought is needed. Engine covers can be opened, covers for guns and ammo opened and the wings can be up or down. I've ordered turned brass guns, so its probably worth while doing something with the guns on display on this one. The obvious downside of the wings up is no ordnance. The wingspan on it is 19 inches, so it is a fair old size.

There is mountains of ordnance with the kit, including the two toilet bombs, which were apparently located by the North Vietnamese after they were dropped
The one I worked on had a split in the colours, yellow chromate In the rear of the fuse and green cockpit forward. The wheel wells were white though and stood in sharp contrast to the dark blue overall colour of the aircraft.

slick

LE
That’s a film I’ve not seen, what do you think of it?

I enjoyed BAT 21 even though it had just about nothing based on the real life rescue, but would prefer a more realistic film.
Definately worth a watch, Its quite graphic and violent, but supposed to be quite a reasonable depiction of the event. The one let down is that the air america chap, Eugene DeBruin, is portrayed as a thoroughly unlikeable selfish individual, in real life he was anything but apparently.

The one I worked on had a split in the colours, yellow chromate In the rear of the fuse and green cockpit forward. The wheel wells were white though and stood in sharp contrast to the dark blue overall colour of the aircraft.
I've not started to look at any real ones yet - I'm guessing there will be a lot of colour photos about given its post WW2. There are always walk-arounds, but what you tend to find with restored planes is exactly that - they are restored, so they dont always accurately reflect how they were painted when in service.

Having had a quick google, looks like white wheel wells on the three or four examples of Navy Skyraiders I've seen in gull grey & white. Plenty time to do research.

A8EDF953-C2CD-41DB-ADB3-67388D761D3F.jpeg

A5 (?) with door for the 12 pax...

I've not started to look at any real ones yet - I'm guessing there will be a lot of colour photos about given its post WW2. There are always walk-arounds, but what you tend to find with restored planes is exactly that - they are restored, so they dont always accurately reflect how they were painted when in service.

Having had a quick google, looks like white wheel wells on the three or four examples of Navy Skyraiders I've seen in gull grey & white. Plenty time to do research.
The restoration beyond what they looked like in service at one point got ridiculous, 7 coats of clear is pointless if you desire anything close to authentic. The AD-4 I worked on was built in 1949 and served 3 tours in Korea with different squadrons, beautifully preserved flying example. The exterior paint job was absolute shïte, looked like was done with a brush and roller, but the interior was actually originally, bit worse for wear though.

PFGEN

GCM
yes

View attachment 446030

It's not a piss take. They actually dropped toilet bombs, and there are two in the kit
Only fit one on one wing as in photo. It was dropped on the North Vietnamese by CDR Clarence Stoddar, the squadron XO. The ordinance was listed as one Saniflush. Sadly this was a one off kami khazi mission. The humour potential for further shitty missions against the North Vietnamese must have been rather high.

Only fit one on one wing as in photo. It was dropped on the North Vietnamese by CDR Clarence Stoddar, the squadron XO. The ordinance was listed as one Saniflush. Sadly this was a one off kami khazi mission. The humour potential for further shitty missions against the North Vietnamese must have been rather high.
I only saw one when I looked but the kits has two by the looks of things

Attachments

slick

LE
Having not made any models for quite a number of years, I was a bit shocked at the cost of one of these on fleabay :D

Latest Threads