Builds A-1 AD-6 Douglas Skyraider in 1/32nd scale

So here’s another one I can’t bottom so will have to make an educated guess on.

9E1C8452-3B19-4862-BB97-4B312E98D4A9.jpeg

what was the link made out of and what colour was it?

when the rounds are discharged what happened to the link?

you can see the hole where the casings are ejected

16793871-116B-4AEA-BF95-42141E35B47B.jpeg

but where did the link go? My guess is it was either green canvas or brown leather. Anyone got any ideas? Canvas makes sense as it would gather without causing a potential hazard to the gun, where as leather would be less flexible.

I’ve looked at some ace models and they have all painted the link brass. It’s the detail that lets you down on these things.

382AA5CD-7908-4B1F-969B-ECDB69D0AE77.jpeg

Wondered what the hound was stressing about. Mouse in trap.

the joys of living in the sticks.....

views on link would be good!

And that rib is where the like discharges so my guess is canvas

View attachment 450519
I can’t imagine a canvas belt flapping in the breeze so I would think disintegrating spring steel link, probably painted black? Brass would likely be too soft for the mechanism to drag the weight through.

daz

LE
Then again:

Sorry. Not meaning to be contradictory.
The spit had a link catcher for it's 20mm's..... the yank's used the same cannon, just in a slightly fucked up way

PFGEN

GCM
I can’t imagine a canvas belt flapping in the breeze so I would think disintegrating spring steel link, probably painted black? Brass would likely be too soft for the mechanism to drag the weight through.
AN/M3 had metallic disintgrating link.

ordinarily I’d have agreed but if you look at the piccie, you will see the link below the link with rounds then you’ll see no rounds - this is the belt that feeds from the gun once the casing is ejected - hence my conclusion it was canvas. I can’t find any photographic evidence to support that from ‘nam era planes
78EB163A-25C8-4F00-97AB-AD830555ED8A.jpeg

A1 Skyraider AN/M3 20mm Cannon ammunition,,,

Brass cases, black metal disintegrating link...

Same weapon system used on P38 Lightning WW2

Korean war... armourer on US aircraft carrier with 20mm ammunition...

Check out this documentary - colour film of armourers prepping the ammunition belts prior to loading 2' 55" into the movie...

Hope this helps

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
ordinarily I’d have agreed but if you look at the piccie, you will see the link below the link with rounds then you’ll see no rounds - this is the belt that feeds from the gun once the casing is ejected - hence my conclusion it was canvas. I can’t find any photographic evidence to support that from ‘nam era planes
View attachment 450535
I honestly cannot think of a canvas example from that era. Disintegrating link was the norm - and usually ejected.

From the septics:

1969 NKP, all 20mm was metal link belt. Loaded my share. All 3 Squadrons. 1st, 602nd and 22nd. Lead Crew Chief/ Crew Chief.

Metal that was ejected out the bottom of the wing. That's why we did not fire the 20MM when over helicopters.

For reference, all US 20mm ammunition used in US aircraft has always been belted, using disintegrating metal links.
Regardless of the 20mm weapon system, either singled barreled cannon, or the multi barrel Gatling cannon type.

The Chinese are wrong.......

From the septics:

1969 NKP, all 20mm was metal link belt. Loaded my share. All 3 Squadrons. 1st, 602nd and 22nd. Lead Crew Chief/ Crew Chief.

Metal that was ejected out the bottom of the wing. That's why we did not fire the 20MM when over helicopters.

For reference, all US 20mm ammunition used in US aircraft has always been belted, using disintegrating metal links.
Regardless of the 20mm weapon system, either singled barreled cannon, or the multi barrel Gatling cannon type.

The Chinese are wrong.......
Reference to get your colors right for the cannon ammo.

20mm01 (1).jpg

and, of course, every third round would be
20mm02.jpg

Latest Threads