9th Company (9 Rota)

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Holdfast, Sep 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone else seen this Russin film set in Afghanistan?

Clicky

Follows some recruits through Soviet basic training and into the field in Afghanistan. There they join the 9th Company during the last year of the conflict.

2. I have it on DVD, thought it was very good, better than the usual stuff the Russians make.

3. First Russian film I've seen. I thought it was good too. Would like any of the ARRSE comrades to chip in and say if it was realistic.

How do you forget about a company though?

4. I watched one called 'Come and See' about Russian partisans in WWII, it had rave reviews in the more arty journals but by fcuk it was weird, couple of good bits but on the whole it was gash.

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_9th_Company

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417397

Full Metal Jacket for Russia's Afghanistan

Lads and Lasses,

I recently saw the movie 9th Company, a Russian movie (Language RU, Subtitles) which has been a blockbuster in Russia. It follows a bunch of recruits through training to the battlefields of Afghanistan as they change from boys to men.

Its a little similar to FMJ but none-the worse for that, plenty of action, some political comments about what they might have done wrong all wrapped up with excellent action, special effects and plenty of budget (2000 extras, gunships, some armour etc).

I would recommend it thoroughly to anyone wanting to watch a good movie and as its a non-hollywood production you should be able to pick it up fairly cheaply. The MOD - he say YES!

[​IMG]

6. Got it myself sometime ago, thought it was a very good watch. Well worth watching.

Other thread

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

merged threads, thanks HF.

Mr H