9mm Browning

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Brew_Time, Jul 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seeing as we got a few weapon threads starting (ie) SLR GPMG AK etc. Thought I'd let you know about a guy in my old unit. He could hit a 4ft screen at 600m using the 9mm Browning. Good shot in all other weapon systems too.

BT. :D

2. Never fired at that distance with the 9 milly but used to shoot Fig 11 targets with one at a 100 yds as a party piece.

3. I am surprised 9mm rounds could go that far. Max effective range of Browning is about 50m, although I accept the round can go a little further. What did he do? Point it at the sky and pretend he was artillery?

4. Blimey mate that was some party - LOL.

Seriously tho, this guy could hit the 4ft screen, rds wouldn't go through but they'd hit. The guy was a good shot and in charge of our Bisley Team.

BT. :lol:

5. Aye Fritzy something like that - some trajectory I'll tell you.

BT. :lol:

6. As a good but not excellent shot, I would expect to hit a fig 11 target at least 2 out of 3 at 100 meters. A rather better shot of my acquaintance claims to have hit a 4 foot screen consistently at 300 meters. So I reckon Brew_Time's pal must have been pretty outstanding.

Mind you, didn't the original Hi Power have leaf sights you could set to fantasy ranges like 600m? Or was that just the shoulder stock version?

7. 600m for a 9mm :?: Maybe if your using the Old 11Z Rounds that were intended for SMG.

Used to do something similar when my civvi club hired a CQB range at Catterick 6 Rounds and all 6 fig 11's downed from the range hut out to around 300m. But that was with a quality Item Sig/Sauer P226. before the fascist rozzers took 'em away. :cry:

8. Na, this was the 9mm Browning pistol.

BT. :D

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

This is starting to sound like a thread that should be linked to the urban mythe area :roll:

Seems like we could save a fortune by giving out the old 9mm pistol, which I presume all these craking shots are using?

10. Not at all, if you were able to practice a lot with a pistol and were a good shot it's possible.

Long range target shooting with handguns has a large following around the world.

11. Does anyone know when the Browning is due to be replced and by what? We have had it for some time now and it is starting to look old, still does the job though. I take it spares must still be made for it too, one of the mags that I had was from 1963 and that was only last year!

12. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Replaced in the RAC by the SA80 A2K - Carbine. Essentially the dinky version of the Rifle. No pistol replacement planned. Everyone should have a rifle or carbine is the cry. Unless you are CP then you have to look 'Ali' with your MP5, innit. :wink:

Here's a link: http://www.project-x.org.uk/sa80carbine.html

Edited to add: I once saw a bloke shoot an elephant with an airgun at like a million miles away, yeah, honest........ :p

13. Based on the Colt Automatic 1911 model. The yanks had them in WWI when we had webleys.

Perhaps we should at least keep it in service for its 100th Birthday!!

14. Was it the 177 or 22, I know its possible with the 22.

BT. :wink:

15. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Oh it was definitely the .22 with a match bullet of course..........