999 stuff

Depends which bit of the country you are in. Some forces apparently do not use grid refs and will only work from post codes or other location identifiers.

If you're ever in the Surrey Hills and need an ambulance having a list of postcodes for nearby roads is useful. Fortunately the only time we needed to do so there was a massive vineyard 10 minutes walk away.
Just nearest premises is at least something to work off.."5 minutes from the ALDI in Whereverville" etc.
If I took a call and all I could be provided with was that, I'd use the ALDI as locus and put further info on the log, officers likely to know the area and would still get to you.

If you are on a country road in absolute middle of nowhere, what3words would be handy. All I really have to worry about is sending it to correct town / city division N/S/E/W etc. If I knew you were on a road in middle of nowhere just out of North Whereverville...I could just send the log with location as unknown, and provide best descrption of location available- send to WRV-N etc.
Frequently happens with suicide cases- they dont really know, or care where they are- and often phone on 101 so no CLI location info.

Oops

Old-Salt
Just nearest premises is at least something to work off.."5 minutes from the ALDI in Whereverville" etc.
If I took a call and all I could be provided with was that, I'd use the ALDI as locus and put further info on the log, officers likely to know the area and would still get to you.

If you are on a country road in absolute middle of nowhere, what3words would be handy. All I really have to worry about is sending it to correct town / city division N/S/E/W etc. If I knew you were on a road in middle of nowhere just out of North Whereverville...I could just send the log with location as unknown, and provide best descrption of location available- send to WRV-N etc.
Frequently happens with suicide cases- they dont really know, or care where they are- and often phone on 101 so no CLI location info.
When calling from mobile, in middle of nowhere, can the phone position be pinpointed?
On a 999 call

When calling from mobile, in middle of nowhere, can the phone position be pinpointed?
On a 999 call
If you are not "roaming" as in being O2 and being no o2 coverage so your phone uses another network then yes.
It is hit and miss though. In most cases, I will know where you are down to metres. In some cases I will know what house you are in.
This is only by 999 though. If you phone 101 I cant seee.
Imagine google earth with a circle radius on an area. That's what it looks like, apart from its not google ath though...it's OS mapping software. Radious can be large or...pinppoint.

There are other checks that can be done but only if situation requires it. Triangualation for eg.
Body found in field few weeks ago. Didnt know how he got there. His phone was still ringing when rung, But not with him.
Higher level enquiries ensued and his phone was then found..about 20m from where he was.

A.N.Other

Old-Salt
If you are not "roaming" as in being O2 and being no o2 coverage so your phone uses another network then yes.
It is hit and miss though. In most cases, I will know where you are down to metres. In some cases I will know what house you are in.
This is only by 999 though. If you phone 101 I cant seee.
Imagine google earth with a circle radius on an area. That's what it looks like, apart from its not google ath though...it's OS mapping software. Radious can be large or...pinppoint.
Mountain Rescue sometimes gets requests from the police to use our PhoneFinder tool to find a phone's location. A text message is sent to the phone, which includes a link to the MR server. Clicking on the link sends the phones position to the server, which displays it on a map and the grid figures in a SMS to the MR coordinator. It relies on the GPS service running on the phone and no reliance on the network provider.

Last Xmas eve, when my kidneys decided to give up the ghost for the holidays, my phone location was used to pinpoint me.

The same happened on boxing day when hey came straight to my house because I called from the mobile.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

A.N.Other

Old-Salt
Mountain Rescue sometimes gets requests from the police to use our PhoneFinder tool to find a phone's location. A text message is sent to the phone, which includes a link to the MR server. Clicking on the link sends the phones position to the server, which displays it on a map and the grid figures in a SMS to the MR coordinator. It relies on the GPS service running on the phone and no reliance on the network provider.
I had one of these calls a couple of days ago.

Elderly gent with mild dementia off on one of his regular walks. Calls his daughter as he's lost. Police raise an incident log and SMS alert to our team coordinators for assistance. I used PhoneFind to send his phone a message with link.

No response. I called his number and went straight to voicemail.

Sent another PhoneFind with the same result.

I called the control room and spoke to the Insp. The gent was on the phone to his daughter and not in immediate danger. Decision made to hold off the MRT and I'd keep an eye open for a response to the PhoneFind message.

I guess everything turned out OK. He didn't click on the link but we did not get a followup request to call out the team for a search.

This is one of the frustrations in MR. Most of the time we do not find out if the MisPer is found safe and well, if the casualty is resting comfortably in hospital after handover to the ambulance, etc.

........" not a problem, I will deal with it myself, my shotguns will scare them off"............they will have to assume you are armed, and send out a immediate response...........
They will probably check to see if you have a shotgun licence on the system first. If you are bullshitting then you might just make yourself look a knob and divert an armed unit from something more serious.

What are the probability's of two armed responses being required, at the same time on the same day, in the same police area, its not America. but point taken.
Thats irrelevant, don’t do it.

arcticfox042

War Hero
What are the probability's of two armed responses being required, at the same time on the same day, in the same police area, its not America. but point taken.
The problem is the Met run 3 officer cars and most of the counties run with two officers. What used to happen in the old days of identify, locate, contain and neutralise was one to the rear one to the front and one (Driver) left to run a firearms control. So two cars running to a call would give you more flexibility re tactics on evan a basic containment job.

My brother managed to pocket call* 999. In the middle of a section attack whilst he was at RMAS.

We had several of Hampshire’s finest Armed Coppers turn up at our front door. They thought it was mildly amusing, after we’d explained what we had presumed had happened. IIRC, my brother lost a weekend’s leave for the heinous crime of taking his phone on exercise!

*actually it was a top-flap call, but bye the bye.

The_Duke

LE
You really are too stupid for words. At best, what verges on a hoax and diverts police resources to a non-priority call. If you had managed to convince a licensing unit that you had enough brain cells to be trusted with firearms, expect your licence to be revoked.

I say again - you really are too stupid for words.

Active shooter or suggestion of such would prob see NPAS deployed also

What do you find is the best siren for cutting through traffic? The woowoowoowoowoo, or the weewaaweewaaweewaaweeewaa or the wooooooooooooooooo, woooooooooooooo, wooooooooo, wooooooooo?

I liked the horn that goes barppppp, barpppppp - that gets the ignorant fückers attention.
Our cars have the bull horn, doesn't half wake the dozy buggers up who can't see a 2 ton hi vis Disco in their rear view mirror. ;)

I saw an episode of Police Interceptors based in Cumbria, where Joe Public, Member of, Thick as Pigshit Variety, had brought in a tin containing a mortar bomb. All proceeded down the line, steady escalation of evacuation and running about as the perceived threat mounted up - having a BFO British Oxygen (or some other company that deals with bulk explodey gases, it's been a while since I've seen the episode) next to the police station was a bit of a bummer, considering their massive tanks of explodey gases couldn't be removed - and setting up an exclusion zone as per procedure - until the EOD guys got there in their big heavy wagon, and park it up. The EOD guys go into the police station, assess the situation to their usual professional standard (not piss-taking - yet. That comes soon enough and it's nothing to do with how well they performed their task) and find out that the mortar bomb is in fact a wooden training mock-up and things return to normal. Well, almost.

Remember the EOD guys' big heavy wagon? Guess where they parked it? On hard standing? Nope. On a car park?
Nope. On the road? MMnope.

On what looked like a football pitch? A grass football pitch, read as muddy field with some grass on top of it?

Yep.

Shifting an EOD guys' big heavy wagon when it's up to its oxters in a football pitch while a Landaner voice over artist is taking the Michael out of you isn't an easy job. No wonder that later repeats of the episode cut that bit out.
I was on one of those episodes when the M6 got flooded, I was up to my knees in flood water in lane 2!

Latest Threads