999 stuff

arfah

LE
I’ve just moved into a new place and have discovered that the twat next door has anger management issues and likes to use his significant other as a punchbag.
I’m genuinely concerned.

If I dial 999, are the police not going to bother getting involved as it’s only a bit of domestic abuse / Job for the Samaritans?
Will they wait for a dead body to be produced as that’s a proper crime?

Asking for a clumsy lass who seems to keep falling down the stairs.

Why the drop-down signage? The blue lights and jam-butty stripe aren’t removable, nor are the military VRN plates, so why the signage cover-up feature? RN & RAF EOD trucks the same, I believe.
I would suggest it's to avoid frightening the plebs walking past. That logic is spoiled by the non-folding BOMB DISPOSAL sign on the front.

Why the drop-down signage? The blue lights and jam-butty stripe aren’t removable, nor are the military VRN plates, so why the signage cover-up feature? RN & RAF EOD trucks the same, I believe.
The signage is blank on the other side, the number plates are civilian on the reverse. On some support tasks such as VVIP covers the vehicle is civilianised to blend in with the Police. The team wear black uniform with rank slides in silver.

I’ve just moved into a new place and have discovered that the twat next door has anger management issues and likes to use his significant other as a punchbag.
I’m genuinely concerned.

If I dial 999, are the police not going to bother getting involved as it’s only a bit of domestic abuse / Job for the Samaritans?
Will they wait for a dead body to be produced as that’s a proper crime?

Asking for a clumsy lass who seems to keep falling down the stairs.
If you hear sounds of distress Now from next door then 999- domestic.

The signage is blank on the other side, the number plates are civilian on the reverse. On some support tasks such as VVIP covers the vehicle is civilianised to blend in with the Police. The team wear black uniform with rank slides in silver.
WO1 rank slide in silver on black must be quite rare!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
What do you find is the best siren for cutting through traffic? The woowoowoowoowoo, or the weewaaweewaaweewaaweeewaa or the wooooooooooooooooo, woooooooooooooo, wooooooooo, wooooooooo?

I liked the horn that goes barppppp, barpppppp - that gets the ignorant fückers attention.
The first type is used for general road travel.

The second is for junctions.

AFAIK there was a lot of work, by clever sound boffins with rows of pens in a dust coat top pocket, on the best noise to use.

Volume, echo recall, audio sustainability and fat checks were all involved.

NSP

LE
what3words app I urge everyone to get it. We can also send it direct to your phone when you call. Our systems can use it to locate. If you phone 999 from a landline we know whereyou are anyway. If from a mobile, provided your phone is not "roaming" we can pretty much pinpoint you in most cases. Takes around 15 mins to do a reverse subscriber check also (which is pointless if the mobile is a prepaid burner phone)
I think I'll just have the map ref ready to pass over when I call, thanks. Just get SAR in the air and leave it to them.

Bosscat

War Hero

AFAIK there was a lot of work, by clever sound boffins with rows of pens in a dust coat top pocket, on the best noise to use.

See post #59

BopBopBop

War Hero

1984 My Met Police station van still had a bell.
I could pretend I was in the Sweeney.

Oops

Old-Salt
Really interesting reading this, from an 'alternative' pov, its grand to know the system isn't perfect, 'specially when pissed up ( bitter) ex missus rings 999 ...
"He's torturing the girls"
Apparently there's summat called a firearms marker??
Apparently sometimes it's even allocated to the correct address, and not the cottage directly across the road?
Apparently the
" I've got armed officers outside your door, come out with your hands showing"
bit isn't just for shit and giggles either....
The
" Eh, but I've just made a brew"
reply isn't in the manual , neither is the
"Sorry Luv, but there's no one here, we've just come in from the yard"
isn't guaranteed to elicit a reasonable response either...

Being an inquisitive type , it was interesting watching a full scale seige situation develop, on a thankfully empty cottage, all the while leaning against a streetlight, making sure I was very very visible and very very relaxed, still on the phone mind, the lady wasn't terribly good at coordinating her thought processes.....
One of the sharper machine gunny types twigged he was being watched...
"Who are you?"
"Probably the fella you're looking for!"....

Good job he and his oppo were sensible, some of the others really weren't, adrenaline does funny things to folk , despite all that training.
Good job I have CCTV round the yard.

The one thing that does bother you at times such as this though is...

Hmm, if they get through the back door and find a two gallon bucket , with assorted bloody knives , and a still warm dead liver in it....

D'y think I'll have much time to make the perfectly true case that the Lithuanians had been a couple of hours before, for their monthly pig ration, the only thing they don't eat is liver , but I do?
Apparently a handful of syringes on a kitchen table mean summat else to non rural plods....

Oh , and the torture bit....
Heifer calving a calf backwards.. daughter No.1 wanted to be a vet... both arms inside
'manouvering' ropes,real Jemima Herriot stuff, me pulling...
Mucho puffing , panting and swearing...
Daughter No.2 filming with phone for Vet school CV, but dark building , black coo, camera light banned...
Meanwhile, Maudlin Mum rings her up.....

(To be fair to the ex, it was her second bottle of red for the evening)

To be fair to the Very Senior Plod , who got dragged out of bed(not by me) at 2.30am to sort the mess out....

Apparently it's not just farmyards where shouting loudly to make a point occurs...

Now, the story of when I found the hand grenade...........

snipped for brevity.
Some forces have serious lack of manpower yet much burden and..others have better manpower but not much going on. I'm not really qualified to comment on that though. Plod on here could do possibly.
My bold I used to belong to a small shoot in Berkshire, one of the guns had a g/f who owned & ran a small stables and was often having stuff/tack stolen by the local/visiting travellers. After reporting these thefts she was lucky if a rural plod would turn up a couple of days later to give her a crime number for her insurance!
Their tactics were to do a quick reccy in the daytime, a couple turning up in a 4 x 4 asking irrelevant questions while eyeballing the doors/locks/liftable gear etc. Turn up a night later lifting anything they could & move on.
One day a crew turned up for the reccy, the owner called her b/f, he turned up & spent the night keeping watch in her house adjoining the stables.
Sure enough at early o'clock a 4x4 turns up & several figures start to enter the stables.
Owner rings police (Thames valley in Reading the nearest main station about 8 - 10 miles away) only to be told no police were available puts phone down. Owners b/f then rings police to tell them he has just had a frantic call from his g/f & he is going down to stables with his loaded shotgun to deal with said scrotes.
15 - 20 mins later, not one but 3 police cars turn up, including armed response, they check the b/f who hasn't got his s/g and say "we thought you said you had brought a s/g with you" to which he replied "I thought you said no police were available".
That might be apocryphal but it shows that the police can find manpower if they put their mind to it!

My bold I used to belong to a small shoot in Berkshire, one of the guns had a g/f who owned & ran a small stables and was often having stuff/tack stolen by the local/visiting travellers. After reporting these thefts she was lucky if a rural plod would turn up a couple of days later to give her a crime number for her insurance!
Their tactics were to do a quick reccy in the daytime, a couple turning up in a 4 x 4 asking irrelevant questions while eyeballing the doors/locks/liftable gear etc. Turn up a night later lifting anything they could & move on.
One day a crew turned up for the reccy, the owner called her b/f, he turned up & spent the night keeping watch in her house adjoining the stables.
Sure enough at early o'clock a 4x4 turns up & several figures start to enter the stables.
Owner rings police (Thames valley in Reading the nearest main station about 8 - 10 miles away) only to be told no police were available puts phone down. Owners b/f then rings police to tell them he has just had a frantic call from his g/f & he is going down to stables with his loaded shotgun to deal with said scrotes.
15 - 20 mins later, not one but 3 police cars turn up, including armed response, they check the b/f who hasn't got his s/g and say "we thought you said you had brought a s/g with you" to which he replied "I thought you said no police were available".
That might be apocryphal but it shows that the police can find manpower if they put their mind to it!
If that was me, I’d have set up the lights so they could be remotely turned on, and positioned one or more cameras. Pikeys turn up and enter the building. Initiate the “ambush” and turn the lights on, cameras recording everything. Turn evidence over to Plod when they turn up.

There’s very little housebreaking round here. Most households are armed, and it’s perfectly legal to pull a Tony Martin. Even the druggies don’t think robbing a TV is worth dying for.

I think I'll just have the map ref ready to pass over when I call, thanks. Just get SAR in the air and leave it to them.
Depends which bit of the country you are in. Some forces apparently do not use grid refs and will only work from post codes or other location identifiers.

If you're ever in the Surrey Hills and need an ambulance having a list of postcodes for nearby roads is useful. Fortunately the only time we needed to do so there was a massive vineyard 10 minutes walk away.

Latest Threads