999 stuff

That exact scenario would go like this:

Phonecall...Iffy looking thing in bush on street.
Looks like a bomb ...(all usual appearence/smells questions asked.
Looks like something he's seen on a game..possibly a bomb...

"Priority grade-suspicious circs"

Dingerr would not have been informed prior to the above. He'd be called when established EOD incident
Had officers attended and established explodey stuff was at play then Gold command would have been informed and I would be inconsequential. I could if I wanted open the log to see how it was progressing but...chances are..I'd already be knee-deep in Kaydon sending nasty mesaages to his ex on facebook by then.
Gold command would have alerted Dingeer and the chocks from his chariot removed as he launches himself at the situation :)

*I have never, as yet, dealt with what could be described as a "major incident". There will be people here who have though and can possibly answer better.
You’re not getting this, are you?

Your HQ (maybe not you, but Trumptonshire Constabulary HQ) call EOD Tasking Cell with a “bombrep” or whatever it’s called. One of the things they will want to know is a contact number for the copper in charge of the site. Dingerr gets to put his newspaper down, and crashes out. On the way there, Dingerr wants to get informed of WTFIGO, so calls the contact number. Not helpful if that number is “Welcome to Trumptonshire Constabulary. Press 1 for HR, 2 for PR... etc.”

You’re not getting this, are you?

Your HQ (maybe not you, but Trumptonshire Constabulary HQ) call EOD Tasking Cell with a “bombrep” or whatever it’s called. One of the things they will want to know is a contact number for the copper in charge of the site. Dingerr gets to put his newspaper down, and crashes out. On the way there, Dingerr wants to get informed of WTFIGO, so calls the contact number. Not helpful if that number is “Welcome to Trumptonshire Constabulary. Press 1 for HR, 2 for PR... etc.”
How can I make it clearer mate...by the time a bomb threat is established..all host of other avenues will have opened and agencies "tagged in". If a call-taker ends up taking a call from an operator in an ongoing situation of a serious nature then something has seriously gone wrong.

Imagine you were in a landy somewhere and...you get a call from MARCONI wanting to discuss details of a new whip aerial you require at wherever you are enroute to...

How can I make it clearer mate...by the time a bomb threat is established..all host of other avenues will have opened and agencies "tagged in". If a call-taker ends up taking a call from an operator in an ongoing situation of a serious nature then something has seriously gone wrong.

Imagine you were in a landy somewhere and...you get a call from MARCONI wanting to discuss details of a new whip aerial you require at wherever you are enroute to...
What, like the initial call to EOD having the general enquiries number as the POC, or perhaps an extension sitting on a desk in a now-evacuated Police Station? Like that kind of seriously wrong? :)

What, like the initial call to EOD having the general enquiries number as the POC, or perhaps an extension sitting on a desk in a now-evacuated Police Station? Like that kind of seriously wrong? :)

F*ck off you ginger bearded Cockwombling welsh eunoch.

:)

If you, as a responding operator, found yourself having to diall 999 for info on whatever you were responding to then that is a major flaw in your command and briefing structure.
Are you taking the fücking piss? I can tell you are Hampshire Police.

I respond to your tasking, I don’t get briefed by my COC before setting out on task, it’s all about the information sent by the Police force requesting the EOD assistance.

Are you taking the fücking piss? I can tell you are Hampshire Police.

I respond to your tasking, I don’t get briefed by my COC before setting out on task, it’s all about the information sent by the Police force requesting the EOD assistance.
You are quite a bit off the mark mate and, I'm not seeking any argument here.
Re-read what you have said, maybe assess what constituites as "police force" in the level of interaction you dealt with.

What, "Near the big rock on the Tavistock road" not refined enough?

More seriously, do you have several address fields that can be entered? The only time I've had reason to phone 999 for the Police was when the house across the road was being broken in to. I didn't know their address, so gave my own (with the caveat "it's the house across the road"). Must have been a relatively quiet night as a car arrived really quickly. To my address. To try and arrest me as I came out the front door to meet them.
Had you phoned with that scenarion...I would have taken your address and annotated "house across the road" or Next street to locus...

It would not matter. As long as officers in right division were informed..they'd suss it out from there. Very rare satnav has to be relied upon.

*Can search by all address field. Postcode is easiest. If i put in "Town Street " I will get multiple hits, from multiple regions of multiple places.

I think he’s saying it’s a major flaw in YOUR command and briefing structure. Summat like this:

a) Kid finds mortar round in the woods. Tells Dad.
b) Dad goes and looks at it and goes “fcuk, that’s a bomb”.
c) Dad calls 999. Plod sent to look at it.
d) “Fcuk, that’s a bomb”.
e) Plod call EOD out.
f) Happens to be @dingerr on the bomb truck.
g) Dingerr wants to know what the script is, and to get the place cordoned off before he gets there.
h) Unless the initial report to EOD tasking has the right number to call for the bloke on the ground with shiny epaulettes, who does he speak to while en-route? Provision of that number must be with Plod.
Someone recently found what appeared to be UXO on a beach - it was quite fun listening into what became a pi$$ing contest between us and Coastguard as to who was going to deal. In the end FIM [Force Incident Manager - the Control Room Inspector] booted it up to Silver - the on duty Super who told HMGC they were dealing. Don't know what they did but we heard nothing more. I think it came down to where it was found. Below high tide level is theirs, above, ours.

I did hear a tale of a young bobby [now retired] who was on the front desk at Brecon Station [in the days when we still did such things] when a member of the public came in and deposited a found item, to whit a live mortar round on the desk. Sound of overturning furniture as the constabulary bravely legged it out the back door and EOD were summoned. Turned up laughing as they do only to turn a tad paler when they realised the round was VERY live. They took it put of the station and disposed of it nearby - Brecon having plenty of space to dig a hole and blow stuff up in.

We regularly get calls to go and collect (or get handed in) various fire arms that the family have discovered in a deceased's attic/barn/shed. The best I ever saw was a beautiful brass flare gun made by Messers Shermuli (spelling?) there was a date stamp on it theat was faded but looked like 1905 and it weighed a 'fukkofalot' don't know what happened to it but it was taken in 'for destruction'.

Mrs Slocombe

Old-Salt
Are there any local authorities that have a combined ops cell for police/fire/ambulance?
Yes. The Isle of Man is the only UK control room whereby the operators take all three flavours of call.

Some genius in Whitehall had the idea of having tri-service control rooms, the thinking being that savings could be made by having all three services use the same software. Wiltshire is an example. They still have separate operators for each service. The thing is, the police take loads of calls - rush hour is busy with traffic collisions, and then there's the Saturday / Sunday night pub fights. Ambulance service take fewer calls, but have to talk the caller through doing CPR and whatnot, so that's quite a special job. Then you have the fire service. They might get a dozen calls in a twelve hour shift, of which three will be about lost dogs, four PPI scammers and the rest cats stuck up trees.

Last edited:
Someone recently found what appeared to be UXO on a beach - it was quite fun listening into what became a pi$$ing contest between us and Coastguard as to who was going to deal. In the end FIM [Force Incident Manager - the Control Room Inspector] booted it up to Silver - the on duty Super who told HMGC they were dealing. Don't know what they did but we heard nothing more. I think it came down to where it was found. Below high tide level is theirs, above, ours.

I did hear a tale of a young bobby [now retired] who was on the front desk at Brecon Station [in the days when we still did such things] when a member of the public came in and deposited a found item, to whit a live mortar round on the desk. Sound of overturning furniture as the constabulary bravely legged it out the back door and EOD were summoned. Turned up laughing as they do only to turn a tad paler when they realised the round was VERY live. They took it put of the station and disposed of it nearby - Brecon having plenty of space to dig a hole and blow stuff up in.

We regularly get calls to go and collect (or get handed in) various fire arms that the family have discovered in a deceased's attic/barn/shed. The best I ever saw was a beautiful brass flare gun made by Messers Shermuli (spelling?) there was a date stamp on it theat was faded but looked like 1905 and it weighed a 'fukkofalot' don't know what happened to it but it was taken in 'for destruction'.
Thankyou, I think that also demonstrates just how "low in the food chain" I am when serious shit goes down.
I may make the initial report but, if I apply the appropriate tags..it is very swiftly pounced upon and I can then get back to the important business of booking a telephone appointment for Chloe, whoes ex has just called her a slag on snapchat....And due to her anxiety..is causing her much distress.

Bosscat

War Hero
I don’t know if they still do, but I was in an Avon and Somerset Constabulary vehicle once (don’t ask), and saw the light/siren control panel had buttons marked Day Woo Woo, Night Woo Woo, Day Wail and Night Wail.
Apart from the bullhorn ours aren't labled, the siren/tone changes by pressing the horn a corresponding number of times once the blue lights are activated.

Thankyou, I think that also demonstrates just how "low in the food chain" I am when serious shit goes down.
I may make the initial report but, if I apply the appropriate tags..it is very swiftly pounced upon and I can then get back to the important business of booking a telephone appointment for Chloe, whoes ex has just called her a slag on snapchat....And due to her anxiety..is causing her much distress.
I used to think 'couldn't the call-taker have got more?' and now I think 'I'm amazed they got this much' given some of the people we deal with. I know that what we have on the log on our tablets is as much as can be gained before we arrive and often we get to a job with info still coming in. The call takers do a great job and combined with the dispatchers make sure we are allocated as well as can be. I heard the log playback of the last time I had to hit the emergency button and control were brilliant - bringing c/s in, updating them on markers and what they knew had happened. And yes, Chloe is still calling in complaining that her ex's sister's boyfriend's mum's lesbian partner has called her a slag on facebook. At least with the current climate most of these calls are getting fukked off!

Mrs Slocombe

Old-Salt
Prescot tried to.
He formed a number of Regional Controls; had huge push back from the unions, I believe.
I recall reading that the buildings were still sat empty years after he left government, at the tax payers expense, I understand.
This was called FiReControl and as the name suggests, it was to amalgamate fire service control rooms into larger, regional ones. At the time, the fire brigades were still using crappy analogue radio instead of Tetra. Perhaps they still are.
There's very little staff turnover for fire service control room operators, the staff couldn't stand the thought of a 40-mile commute and were all moaning about it and the FBU were dead against it. A fair number of control rooms were built before it was cancelled - there's one near Waterbeach just north of Cambridge.

I used to think 'couldn't the call-taker have got more?' and now I think 'I'm amazed they got this much' given some of the people we deal with. I know that what we have on the log on our tablets is as much as can be gained before we arrive and often we get to a job with info still coming in. The call takers do a great job and combined with the dispatchers make sure we are allocated as well as can be. I heard the log playback of the last time I had to hit the emergency button and control were brilliant - bringing c/s in, updating them on markers and what they knew had happened. And yes, Chloe is still calling in complaining that her ex's sister's boyfriend's mum's lesbian partner has called her a slag on facebook. At least with the current climate most of these calls are getting fukked off!
Hmmm...they are not exactkly getting "fucked off" yet. Punted to telephone appointments.
"Chloe" still phones though and asks for an update 30 minutes before her tel appt, she will have forgot she actually has one and when asked for a log/crime number will grab the nearest one of many to hand.

Bad on last fews days...Most Cloes & Kaydons who need to answer bail are experiencing Covid symptoms too.

You finding that in your area? This Covid really seems to be targetting the criminal.

Hmmm...they are not exactkly getting "fucked off" yet. Punted to telephone appointments.
"Chloe" still phones though and asks for an update 30 minutes before her tel appt, she will have forgot she actually has one and when asked for a log/crime number will grab the nearest one of many to hand.

Bad on last fews days...Most Cloes & Kaydons who need to answer bail are experiencing Covid symptoms too.

You finding that in your area? This Covid really seems to be targetting the criminal.
They are not exploiting it just yet, though one of my regulars is complaining her son is ill 'so stay indoors and don't call me' I told her. The message does seem to be getting through to the pond life who, up until a few days ago were continuing with business as usual.

Someone recently found what appeared to be UXO on a beach - it was quite fun listening into what became a pi$$ing contest between us and Coastguard as to who was going to deal. In the end FIM [Force Incident Manager - the Control Room Inspector] booted it up to Silver - the on duty Super who told HMGC they were dealing.
In that scenario the JSEODOC would not deal with HMCG alone, they do not have the legal authority to effect cordon & evacuation.

There are specific instruction for dealing with explosive incidents, some police forces are very good, some are bloody awful and through incompetence put the public at risk.

Latest Threads