999 stuff

BopBopBop

War Hero
Could you please supply the rest of us with some trigger words or phrases that lead to some sort of quicker response ?
Always remember one call over the radio from Scotland Yard Information Room.
Fortunately not to our RT car.

"Male berserk with a hammer, sounds of women and children screaming"

@supermatelot Do you use THRIVE In your force? Just wondering how universal that is (I've only dealt with logs from three forces, but all used that).
But in most forces you'd often see [Target Approaching] in the log.

We get many none 999 calls on 999.
Again a few years back, friday afternoon, we had a bit of scuffle at work, teenage cycle thieves gobbing off, tried to force their way into the building.

They got slapped about a bit & moved into the street, the police where called but never attended

It turns out they had the bright idea to pop into the police station, gobbed off about being assaulted & got themselves nicked for criminal damaged for kicking the door at the copshop.

Monday morning comes & the police get in touch, there very sorry they never attended & got a statement & cctv. I think they where mostly interested in proving the injuries didn't happen whilst the defendants where in their care

TamH70

MIA
Two things first - what do LIONEL and THRIVE stand for?

I am kind of glad that the only time I remember personally calling 999 for me was when I tripped over my mountain bike and slashed my knee on the bastard's chain-wheel. I had never seen the actual inside of one of my body parts before so I was a tad disconcerted.

I still have the scar, a nice right-angled two-inch long jobby where the cutter had to peel open the wound to clear out the oil and do all sorts of internal stitches to stop me seeing my knee-cap rather better than l wanted to.

101 didn't exist then, so if I was daft enough for a repeat, would that be the kind of call that I would make on that number?

Rab_C

War Hero

I am kind of glad that the only time I remember personally calling 999 for me was when I tripped over my mountain bike and slashed my knee on the bastard's chain-wheel. I had never seen the actual inside of one of my body parts before so I was a tad disconcerted.

I still have the scar, a nice right-angled two-inch long jobby where the cutter had to peel open the wound to clear out the oil and do all sorts of internal stitches to stop me seeing my knee-cap rather better than l wanted to.

101 didn't exist then, so if I was daft enough for a repeat, would that be the kind of call that I would make on that number?
LIONEL I did in first aid.
E5038D56-1B87-448F-A237-A6317D3BA36C.jpeg

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Sounds serious, 999.

I always enjoyed getting tasked to a Police station, whilst calling the contact number given realised it was a number within the Police station they had evacuated.

Another great contact number was the general enquiries number, I just loved “your call is important to us, but all our operators are busy”.

When each of the situations above occurred I’d call 999 and request whatever Police force I was dealing with. If anyone got shirty with me I’d ask if it’s not an emergency I’ll turn the van around. Any such incidents were always dealt with exactly by the regulations - full cordon and evacuation to at least 100m, before I’d even start EOD operations.

@supermatelot Do you use THRIVE In your force? Just wondering how universal that is (I've only dealt with logs from three forces, but all used that).
But in most forces you'd often see [Target Approaching] in the log.
Yes, we use THRIVE as our rationale.
It has to be appended to the end of every log to state why we graded it as what / such.
Other forces use similar THOR for example..all same thing.

T-Threat...."ongoing domestic"
H-harm..."Woman punched by ex-partner"
R-Risk- "of further violence/injury/damnage
I-investigation..."CCTV at neighbours house (excell prog has various dropdowns and we select as needed
V- Vulnerabilities- Caller said she was wheelchair bound and had MH issues.
E-Engagement- "Officers to attend-reassurance visit would be beneficial".

Each aspect has a dropdown score based on what I assess. As far as what I type and send is...that is how it will be dealt with...unless someone very senior decides otherwise.
Often logs are "downgraded".
It is an issue though were I to grade something as only standard and it should have been priority. I'd then be having "words with" and career review. Never happened yet.

I always enjoyed getting tasked to a Police station, whilst calling the contact number given realised it was a number within the Police station they had evacuated.

Another great contact number was the general enquiries number, I just loved “your call is important to us, but all our operators are busy”.

When each of the situations above occurred I’d call 999 and request whatever Police force I was dealing with. If anyone got shirty with me I’d ask if it’s not an emergency I’ll turn the van around. Any such incidents were always dealt with exactly by the regulations - full cordon and evacuation to at least 100m, before I’d even start EOD operations.
Any calls from fire/amb come through to us on emergecy line. We see straight away and its always "Hello XXXXXpolice..hello Fire..etc"
I dont think bomb disposal features on our regular calls, or on our hotlist. I'd expect you to 999 in any case anyway.

Sometimes (rarely) get social workers phoning 999 to chase up "cold cases" they have in their portfolio. They get fecked off pretty quick and told to 101.

I'm not a police officer-just staff, a call taker/despatcher.
Can't emphasize this enough, there's no just. You're integral. I spoke to a mate in murder investigation and some of the cases she's looked into, when the victim has managed to make a call.... Well put it this way, it would mess me up, I don't think I could handle that.

Can't emphasize this enough, there's no just. You're integral. I spoke to a mate in murder investigation and some of the cases she's looked into, when the victim has managed to make a call.... Well put it this way, it would mess me up, I don't think I could handle that.
I get that but..yes..I deal with the shit aspects of the telephone side of a situation but - and based on former life as well..I'm well aware what shit situations smell/look like. Whatever shite I have to deal with..a frontline officer has to engage with / witness.

I said on a thread last night..different people have different "triggers". I've heard the whisltling of wind from a mobile after the person jumped. I've heard what a mother just discovering her 1 year old is dead sounds like.
There are 20 something girls with big eyelashes, sculpted eyebrows and they tick all the boxes for "model" who work with me. They will listen to, and deal with effectively, situations that would turn your blood cold. Their trigger might be animals involved...for example. "Sheep run over on road".

My "trigger" though is people who ought to know better and seek to try and argue the toss on 999 or other issues that are not actually life and death. As commented on up thread.
We can see how many 101 calls are waiting, and how many 999 calls are waiting, and also the time wait..its on a big board..which is demorailising ...the 101s anyway.
999 calls are rougly half of 101 my force on a daily basis.
Gets galling though if we Xref a log to a neighbouring force...we tell them its our log 1234 of today's date, and they acknowledge and say "thats now our log 135 of today".

Some forces have serious lack of manpower yet much burdon and..others have better manpower but not much going on. I'm not really qualified to comment on that though. Plod on here could do possibly.

Last edited:
, Quote - "I always enjoyed getting tasked to a Police station, whilst calling the contact number given realised it was a number within the Police station they had evacuated.

When each of the situations above occurred I’d call 999 and request whatever Police force I was dealing with. If anyone got shirty with me I’d ask if it’s not an emergency I’ll turn the van around. Any such incidents were always dealt with exactly by the regulations - full cordon and evacuation to at least 100m, before I’d even start EOD operations"

Back in the 70's, 80's we used to ring RE with "A new live mortar round in the bomb disposal bin at XX nick, little old lady brought it in on the bus so possibly OK", the bin was a tin dustbin full of sand hidden at the back of the police garages and the district had once been a WWII Auxilliary training area, so lots of fragile munitions from 25 years earlier. RE would pop round next time down our way, couple of weeks. A whole plastic dustbin full of PIRA home-mix at an urban station would see an urgent response, within the week, even though it had one of those clip'n'twist lids for safety, and a sample tested on a tin tray in the car park by RE to get the right-colour flame, with a very short written statement for court purposes. Both nicks carried on, business as usual.

The world changes ........

Bogie_Bear

War Hero
The last time I called 999 , to report an untaxed vehicle on false number plates being lived in by a dangerous looking individual suspected of stealing livestock and eye balling isolated properties , the woman in the control room began by telling me that it was parked in another county , therefore not their problem .
Cue both of us getting Google maps up and me demonstrating it did come under said force
This was followed by , it's hardly urgent is it ?
It would be if it were your livestock and your elderly relatives nearby .
He could just be homeless , she retorts .
That excuses two actual and one suspected crime does it ?
I'm only trying to help
No you're not , this is bordering on dereliction of duty and I wish to speak to an actual officer
I'm only trying to help
No , you're not
And so we went on for about half an hour in a pythonesque manner 'till they agreed to despatch someone to investigate .

Could you please supply the rest of us with some trigger words or phrases that lead to some sort of quicker response ?
Bullshit-1.jpg

Bosscat

War Hero
What do you find is the best siren for cutting through traffic? The woowoowoowoowoo, or the weewaaweewaaweewaaweeewaa or the wooooooooooooooooo, woooooooooooooo, wooooooooo, wooooooooo?

I liked the horn that goes barppppp, barpppppp - that gets the ignorant fückers attention.
I drive for NHS Blood and Transplant Service, we have three sirens plus the Bullhorn, there is a particular siren for long range(to give people the heads up that somethings afoot), a siren that we use approaching/going through traffic and a continental type one(which I've no idea what it's used for), I especially like using the bullhorn when I'm about 10 yards away from somebody's arse and they are ignoring you/haven't seen you.

ETA The very first thing you/I do before putting the siren on is make sure the windows are up because those fookers are very, very loud.

Latest Threads