999 stuff

Seems a bit odd that there seems to be distinct initial call-handling for the different services. Are there any local authorities that have a combined ops cell for police/fire/ambulance? Seems to me like the fundamental need is to prioritise available resources against demand, whether it’s police, fire or ambulance, or AA patrols for that matter. Some incidents (kids in the park, for instance) will be police only, or a car fire will be fire only. But multiple-vehicle RTA is likely to be all three.
101 is police non-emergency only - kids in park etc. 999 initially goes through to a BT operator. Based upon what they are told they will then connect you to appropriate service. If they cannot assertain the situation-it comes to police for us to assess. Gave example on a thread last night..."distraight female, cannot make out what she is trying to say"...got up for baby's night feed and found it cold and blue... We then inform ambulance / or depending on whatever situation, whatever approriate authority/service.

What do you find is the best siren for cutting through traffic? The woowoowoowoowoo, or the weewaaweewaaweewaaweeewaa or the wooooooooooooooooo, woooooooooooooo, wooooooooo, wooooooooo?

I liked the horn that goes barppppp, barpppppp - that gets the ignorant fückers attention.
given thje mods habit of buying cheap quite often 2 tones would become 1 tone as we headed off to yet another chimney fire on the pads, we sounded like a duck getting gang banged.

From watching various Police/emergency "reality" programmes on the TV, there would appear to be an awful lot of fake/moronic 999 calls, where idiots will call 999 after they have missed the last bus/lost their mate/just feel like f**king around etc.
Plus of course those just to f**k the police or fire service around, the ones I really dislike are the morons who report a fire just so they can hurl bricks/fireworks at the crew. IMHO such c**ts need culling!!
snip "The number of violent attacks on fire crews in England and Wales is going up despite government claims to the contrary, the Fire Brigades Union says!
It said such attacks had become a "recreational activity" with crews facing a daily threat of being ambushed, shot at, stabbed and abused. "
Op Fresco in late 90's was it?? Early 00's saw lots of matelots doing fire response in Liverpool and other places. Local scrotes were starting fires on purpose. Imagine their shock when the people turning up had not seen the memo on not being confrontational/violent!

Get lots of calls from women who have run out of money / missed last bus.
Not a police problem.
"But I'm a women in a strange area..I'm vulnerable"
Start walking then...will make units aware for 'passing interest'.

If someone phones 999 and asks for police, or phones 101, on the basis of what I hear, and on answers to my questions, I make the decision on what it constitutes Robbery/theft/Nuisance/Domestic and I will also apply a grading - standard (hear back within 48 hours) Priority (next available unit-aim is within 60 minutes) or Emergency - Blue lights straight away. I then also have to apply a rationale to by log that I created - indicating various factors of deemed risk/threat.
Once I send that through - my judgement can be overuled or changed retrospectively but - that person has to then apply their own ratuionale for doing so.

I can upgrade or downgrade logs from 'priority' grading on initial creation, but cannot downgrade from 'emergency'. If you phoned me and started telling me about how bloke down the street was calling you a knob on facebook, I'd start creating a log with intention for a further telephone appointment, if during that call you said he'd just messaged you again and said he's gonna twat you if he sees you on the street tonight I'd upgrade to standard and tell you to 999 if any further. If during that same call you said he was stood at your door shouting and threatening tyo kill you because of the smell from your bbq I'd then upgrade to emergency. If he instantly left your house then..I would not, myself be able to downgrade.
Response times are audited and are strictly adhered to.

Standard- response/hear back within 48 hrs - Neighbour swore at you on street / nuisance youths etc

Priority - Response within 60 minutes- log has to be sent within 10 minutes of initial call so-if I take a call and think "this is gonna be a long one, not emergency but priority" I will start compiling and send it after a few minutes..they will then see what extra I add to it. Missing person logs under 18 yrs old are a good example of that.

Emergency- Instant response with blue lights- Required to send the log through within 2 minutes of initial call or they won't meet targets - and that causes headaches. If you phone and I hear "hassle" I will aske your postcode/establish location and you tell me your wife has just brained you with a square plate - I will grade 'emergency'- domestic and send within 20 seconds and then further question you on the other details.

People often get shitty when asked questions when they phone police on 999. They think nothing is happeneing whilst they are on the phone. WHat they dont realise is-I've already made officers aware, and various questions are coming back to me to ask from various entities on different screens. Often find it handy to say "you are not wasting time on phone to me-officers are already aware- I just need more info for them".

I can see instantly when units have been despatched and can also see where they are on the mapping in relation to the incident. This is handy when a women is on the phone and her husband has just lamped her one and she is anxious, I would stay on the phone and keep chatting to her, one-to reassure her someone is on the way and 2- the calls are recorded and can be used in any evidence. We are recorded even whilst not on calls too.

If reason was sufficient enough, a higher up could ask to listen to what I was doing/saying between any stated times.
Ahhh, so you’re one of the bastárds that Never sends sufficient officers for an effective cordon.

Emergency- Instant response with blue lights- Required to send the log through within 2 minutes of initial call or they won't meet targets - and that causes headaches. If you phone and I hear "hassle" I will aske your postcode/establish location and you tell me your wife has just brained you with a square plate - I will grade 'emergency'- domestic and send within 20 seconds and then further question you on the other details.
You just couldn't help yourself, could you.

If the bloke had been brained with a lovely round white plate with all the anchovies and olive oil soaked bread perfectly aligned to the compass points then that would have been a 'Sorry Sir, but you did ask for it', end to the call. :-D

Seems a bit odd that there seems to be distinct initial call-handling for the different services. Are there any local authorities that have a combined ops cell for police/fire/ambulance? Seems to me like the fundamental need is to prioritise available resources against demand, whether it’s police, fire or ambulance, or AA patrols for that matter. Some incidents (kids in the park, for instance) will be police only, or a car fire will be fire only. But multiple-vehicle RTA is likely to be all three.
Prescot tried to.
He formed a number of Regional Controls; had huge push back from the unions, I believe.
I recall reading that the buildings were still sat empty years after he left government, at the tax payers expense, I understand.

The fire service do this on building type - house fire x number of appliances; car fire one; the computer finds the closest available appliances of the correct type. Control hits "send" on the computer - FF's get out of bed.
Its called a PDA, predetermined assessment, so for a house fire we send x number of pumps automatically. If more are needed then an assitance message can be sent by the JO to make pumps x.

The last time I called 999 , to report an untaxed vehicle on false number plates being lived in by a dangerous looking individual suspected of stealing livestock and eye balling isolated properties , the woman in the control room began by telling me that it was parked in another county , therefore not their problem .
Cue both of us getting Google maps up and me demonstrating it did come under said force
This was followed by , it's hardly urgent is it ?
It would be if it were your livestock and your elderly relatives nearby .
He could just be homeless , she retorts .
That excuses two actual and one suspected crime does it ?
I'm only trying to help
No you're not , this is bordering on dereliction of duty and I wish to speak to an actual officer
I'm only trying to help
No , you're not
And so we went on for about half an hour in a pythonesque manner 'till they agreed to despatch someone to investigate .

Could you please supply the rest of us with some trigger words or phrases that lead to some sort of quicker response ?

The last time I called 999 , to report an untaxed vehicle on false number plates being lived in by a dangerous looking individual suspected of stealing livestock and eye balling isolated properties , the woman in the control room began by telling me that it was parked in another county , therefore not their problem .
Cue both of us getting Google maps up and me demonstrating it did come under said force
This was followed by , it's hardly urgent is it ?
It would be if it were your livestock and your elderly relatives nearby .
He could just be homeless , she retorts .
That excuses two actual and one suspected crime does it ?
I'm only trying to help
No you're not , this is bordering on dereliction of duty and I wish to speak to an actual officer
I'm only trying to help
No , you're not
And so we went on for about half an hour in a pythonesque manner 'till they agreed to despatch someone to investigate .

Could you please supply the rest of us with some trigger words or phrases that lead to some sort of quicker response ?
The issue between differing forces is VERY real. 2 doors away from me will be automatically connected to a different police force. Luckily we can interoperate though.

As for your scenario - NO - it was not a life threatening situation THEN. We deal with NOW and not "potentially".

I hate to sound obtuse on here but you give a perfect example of what is currently fecking up the whole emergency response system at present.

Your scenario warranted a 101 call. Please dont think just because its via 101 it wont be looked into straight away. As I have said earlier..many calls that are actually "Emergency" are received via 101.

Look at it this way...Your wife gets whacked whilst getting out of her car on your front street. You phone 999 and ask for police. Operator keeps coming back to you every 15 secionds saying "Please keep holding we are trying to connect you".

That's because all police are held up on other calls...often of the type you just depicted. There are no set "you 999 - you 101" operators. Its a dynamic system. I could be on just one, the other, both or on 99 'overflow'.

The "key words" in what you described were actually what you did not describe.
I took a 9's call other night reporting a drug deal. He reported it on basis that bloke opposite him has a "flash car" and drives out at various times during the night. He did not deem the bloke suitabkle for such a car therefore must be a drug dealer.
How comfortable would you be with a Drugs marker being put on PNC for your car's VRM - based on some spurious allegation?

Yeah, nah. You're not getting tips on gaming the system to divert scarce resources away from where they're more urgently needed. Sorry mate, but the emergency services are spread a lot thinner than you probably realise.

Rab_C

War Hero
Yeah, nah. You're not getting tips on gaming the system to divert scarce resources away from where they're more urgently needed. Sorry mate, but the emergency services are spread a lot thinner than you probably realise.
Too busy telling people that cigarettes and booze aren’t essentials. I’ll stop there before I really start spitting vitriol, maybe only Devon & Cornwall as they’re the only clowns I have experience of.

From my point of view "key words" are whatever I deem relevent at the time. Any mention of weapons etc will mean whole host of other sections get tagged into the log. If you mention your neighbour has moved your wheelie bin without your permission, and that neighbour was brandishing an SLR, and he wasn't...is likely to cause your future embarrasment in the local news/courst appearance pages.

It's entirely down to the call-takers judgment. Its a difficult call but- what may seem and emrgency to you-often isnt in the sheme of things.

*Reply intended to your post-not directed at you Koschei.

Too busy telling people that cigarettes and booze aren’t essentials. I’ll stop there before I really start spitting vitriol, maybe only Devon & Cornwall as they’re the only clowns I have experience of.
Different forces dealing in different ways due to different demographs. I lived in Plymouth for quite a while. I can quite understand D&C going nuclear early in order to "set an example", given the demographiucs there, in Plymouth or Torbay for example.

My force are gently-gently and hoping peer pressure rules the way. God knows how Londist are doing/dealing/

From my point of view "key words" are whatever I deem relevent at the time. Any mention of weapons etc will mean whole host of other sections get tagged into the log. If you mention your neighbour has moved your wheelie bin without your permission, and that neighbour was brandishing an SLR, and he wasn't...is likely to cause your future embarrasment in the local news/courst appearance pages.

It's entirely down to the call-takers judgment. Its a difficult call but- what may seem and emrgency to you-often isnt in the sheme of things.

*Reply intended to your post-not directed at you Koschei.
I'm with the water fairies so the 'keywords' thing doesn't affect me quite as much, but the stories paramedic mates tell about the frequent fliers who've figured out exactly what to say to make sure an ambulance is despatched to their bullshit calls are enough to boil your piss.

I'm with the water fairies so the 'keywords' thing doesn't affect me quite as much, but the stories paramedic mates tell about the frequent fliers who've figured out exactly what to say to make sure an ambulance is despatched to their bullshit call are enough to boil your piss.
I'm a water fairy. Misses is a paramedic. "Chest pains" gets a nice fast response, and is often used by w*nkers to get attention faster. That or people calling for an ambo because they think that they'll jump the wait at A&E!

I'm a water fairy. Misses is a paramedic. "Chest pains" gets a nice fast response, and is often used by w*nkers to get attention faster. That or people calling for an ambo because they think that they'll jump the wait at A&E!
The ******* brain donors who fake a miscarriage resulting in a catastrophic haemorrhage because they fancy a ride home in an ambulance are a special grade of ****.

I'm with the water fairies so the 'keywords' thing doesn't affect me quite as much, but the stories paramedic mates tell about the frequent fliers who've figured out exactly what to say to make sure an ambulance is despatched to their bullshit calls are enough to boil your piss.
Yep..."neighbour is playing loud music"

"Phone council-not police issue"

"I've got mental 'elf and I'm gonna do this that or other..."

"neighbour is playing loud music, asked him to turn it down and he said no...thought I saw a knife in his hand".

"I'm a 16 year old girl in XXXX city centre...issed last bus home...I have CSE markers"

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Good thread.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but:

1. How does the caller know whether 999 or 111 is the most appropriate? To give you can example my disabled mother recently had a fall and we called 111, who dispatched an ambulance. The paramedics said we should have called 999, but I thought the rule was an immediate threat of life (or limb/eyesight)?

2. Is LIONEL still the best way of remembering what information is needed?
Now listen it’s your mum, any fall to an elderly person can be fatal, not immediately but it can result in blood clots and gawd knows what else, bones are easily broken.
999 all the time.
I’d have rather dealt with a collapse behind closed doors than a sudden death and so would today’s coppers/ambulance staff.