999 stuff

Thread for 999 types on here to answer any 999ey questions.
I'm not a police officer-just staff, a call taker/despatcher.
Arrse has plethora of frontline and ex police, paramedics and mountain rescue, fire brigade women's institute calendar models.

I feel the general public would be better informed if they have some idea what goes on in the background.
Thread created after a suggestion when thread-drift occurred elswhere.

Being a bit dyslexic I dialled 666. It was the devil of a job to get anybody to answer so in the end I said, “to hell with it“ and hung up.

Who makes the decision as to what type and how many assets to send to any particular incident? If it’s a report of kids being dïckheads in the park, a PCSO patrol will probably do it. Multiple reports of a major fire in a retail Store during business hours - send the cavalry. Is it the 999 call center operator (ie you), or is there an embedded police officer (for example) who makes that call?

What about reports of say a stranded/injured mountain climber? Who calls out the MRT or SAR Helo? Indeed who makes the call whether it’s a helo from the off, or send the MRT first? I know the crabs used to run a national rescue control center in Kinloss, but I assume that went away with the Nimrods, or even before.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Being a bit dyslexic I dialled 666. It was the devil of a job to get anybody to answer so in the end I said, “to hell with it“ and hung up.
Dante Alighieri walt.

What do you find is the best siren for cutting through traffic? The woowoowoowoowoo, or the weewaaweewaaweewaaweeewaa or the wooooooooooooooooo, woooooooooooooo, wooooooooo, wooooooooo?

I liked the horn that goes barppppp, barpppppp - that gets the ignorant fückers attention.

What do you find is the best siren for cutting through traffic? The woowoowoowoowoo, or the weewaaweewaaweewaaweeewaa or the wooooooooooooooooo, woooooooooooooo, wooooooooo, wooooooooo?

I liked the horn that goes barppppp, barpppppp - that gets the ignorant fückers attention.
I can see that being a job opportunity for some just to hang out the window of the police car and do that.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
People must be truly bored, starting utterly pointless threads.

The baaaaarrrppp baaaaarrrppp is actually just to mask the torrent of abuse the blokes in the back are shouting at the ignorant bastards who don't move over quickly enough.

People must be truly bored, starting utterly pointless threads.
Or trying to keep other threads vaguely on topic and splitting off a different topic into its own thread.

Who makes the decision as to what type and how many assets to send to any particular incident? If it’s a report of kids being dïckheads in the park, a PCSO patrol will probably do it. Multiple reports of a major fire in a retail Store during business hours - send the cavalry. Is it the 999 call center operator (ie you), or is there an embedded police officer (for example) who makes that call?

What about reports of say a stranded/injured mountain climber? Who calls out the MRT or SAR Helo? Indeed who makes the call whether it’s a helo from the off, or send the MRT first? I know the crabs used to run a national rescue control center in Kinloss, but I assume that went away with the Nimrods, or even before.
If someone phones 999 and asks for police, or phones 101, on the basis of what I hear, and on answers to my questions, I make the decision on what it constitutes Robbery/theft/Nuisance/Domestic and I will also apply a grading - standard (hear back within 48 hours) Priority (next available unit-aim is within 60 minutes) or Emergency - Blue lights straight away. I then also have to apply a rationale to by log that I created - indicating various factors of deemed risk/threat.
Once I send that through - my judgement can be overuled or changed retrospectively but - that person has to then apply their own ratuionale for doing so.

I can upgrade or downgrade logs from 'priority' grading on initial creation, but cannot downgrade from 'emergency'. If you phoned me and started telling me about how bloke down the street was calling you a knob on facebook, I'd start creating a log with intention for a further telephone appointment, if during that call you said he'd just messaged you again and said he's gonna twat you if he sees you on the street tonight I'd upgrade to standard and tell you to 999 if any further. If during that same call you said he was stood at your door shouting and threatening tyo kill you because of the smell from your bbq I'd then upgrade to emergency. If he instantly left your house then..I would not, myself be able to downgrade.
Response times are audited and are strictly adhered to.

Standard- response/hear back within 48 hrs - Neighbour swore at you on street / nuisance youths etc

Priority - Response within 60 minutes- log has to be sent within 10 minutes of initial call so-if I take a call and think "this is gonna be a long one, not emergency but priority" I will start compiling and send it after a few minutes..they will then see what extra I add to it. Missing person logs under 18 yrs old are a good example of that.

Emergency- Instant response with blue lights- Required to send the log through within 2 minutes of initial call or they won't meet targets - and that causes headaches. If you phone and I hear "hassle" I will aske your postcode/establish location and you tell me your wife has just brained you with a square plate - I will grade 'emergency'- domestic and send within 20 seconds and then further question you on the other details.

People often get shitty when asked questions when they phone police on 999. They think nothing is happeneing whilst they are on the phone. WHat they dont realise is-I've already made officers aware, and various questions are coming back to me to ask from various entities on different screens. Often find it handy to say "you are not wasting time on phone to me-officers are already aware- I just need more info for them".

I can see instantly when units have been despatched and can also see where they are on the mapping in relation to the incident. This is handy when a women is on the phone and her husband has just lamped her one and she is anxious, I would stay on the phone and keep chatting to her, one-to reassure her someone is on the way and 2- the calls are recorded and can be used in any evidence. We are recorded even whilst not on calls too.

If reason was sufficient enough, a higher up could ask to listen to what I was doing/saying between any stated times.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Good thread.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but:

1. How does the caller know whether 999 or 111 is the most appropriate? To give you can example my disabled mother recently had a fall and we called 111, who dispatched an ambulance. The paramedics said we should have called 999, but I thought the rule was an immediate threat of life (or limb/eyesight)?

2. Is LIONEL still the best way of remembering what information is needed?

The fire service do this on building type - house fire x number of appliances; car fire one; the computer finds the closest available appliances of the correct type. Control hits "send" on the computer - FF's get out of bed.

Best way to describe this is to post your scenario - and I will try and say how I / my force would deal with it, and what would be happening in the background.

Good thread.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but:

1. How does the caller know whether 999 or 111 is the most appropriate? To give you can example my disabled mother recently had a fall and we called 111, who dispatched an ambulance. The paramedics said we should have called 999, but I thought the rule was an immediate threat of life (or limb/eyesight)?

2. Is LIONEL still the best way of remembering what information is needed?
We get many none 999 calls on 999. Part of the reason is some mobile service providers do not allow 101 calls!
If I get a call on 999 and is is clearly not an emergency, and it is some youngish bloke just trying to cut a queue on 101 I will offer words of advice and end the call.
If its Mabel who is 87,lives alone and she thinks someone has put some money INTO her purse and is confused..I will stay on the phone with her as long as I deem needed.

MANY calls on 101 are actually calls that should have been 999 - Old lady see's person in her garden with a torch buit "didn't want to make a fuss"
Yet Chloe-Anne will call 999 if her one of her exes from last week has hurt her feelings on Facebook.

If it is an ongoing domestic incident / ongoing violence/public order /threat to life then 999
Key is "ongoing".
If you find a dead body in a field-it won't be graded "emergency".

If you call ambulance and report something that sounds like it could also be "policey" they will then call us.
Same with fire- if they are called about a bonfire and loads of youths around it for example.

If life/ immediate safety is at risk then 999.

Last edited:
Seems a bit odd that there seems to be distinct initial call-handling for the different services. Are there any local authorities that have a combined ops cell for police/fire/ambulance? Seems to me like the fundamental need is to prioritise available resources against demand, whether it’s police, fire or ambulance, or AA patrols for that matter. Some incidents (kids in the park, for instance) will be police only, or a car fire will be fire only. But multiple-vehicle RTA is likely to be all three.

Sheldon Cooper Walt.

If someone phones 999 and asks for police, or phones 101, on the basis of what I hear, and on answers to my questions, I make the decision on what it constitutes Robbery/theft/Nuisance/Domestic and I will also apply a grading - standard (hear back within 48 hours) Priority (next available unit-aim is within 60 minutes) or Emergency - Blue lights straight away. I then also have to apply a rationale to by log that I created - indicating various factors of deemed risk/threat.
Once I send that through - my judgement can be overuled or changed retrospectively but - that person has to then apply their own ratuionale for doing so.

I can upgrade or downgrade logs from 'priority' grading on initial creation, but cannot downgrade from 'emergency'. If you phoned me and started telling me about how bloke down the street was calling you a knob on facebook, I'd start creating a log with intention for a further telephone appointment, if during that call you said he'd just messaged you again and said he's gonna twat you if he sees you on the street tonight I'd upgrade to standard and tell you to 999 if any further. If during that same call you said he was stood at your door shouting and threatening tyo kill you because of the smell from your bbq I'd then upgrade to emergency. If he instantly left your house then..I would not, myself be able to downgrade.
Response times are audited and are strictly adhered to.

Standard- response/hear back within 48 hrs - Neighbour swore at you on street / nuisance youths etc

Priority - Response within 60 minutes- log has to be sent within 10 minutes of initial call so-if I take a call and think "this is gonna be a long one, not emergency but priority" I will start compiling and send it after a few minutes..they will then see what extra I add to it. Missing person logs under 18 yrs old are a good example of that.

Emergency- Instant response with blue lights- Required to send the log through within 2 minutes of initial call or they won't meet targets - and that causes headaches. If you phone and I hear "hassle" I will aske your postcode/establish location and you tell me your wife has just brained you with a square plate - I will grade 'emergency'- domestic and send within 20 seconds and then further question you on the other details.

People often get shitty when asked questions when they phone police on 999. They think nothing is happeneing whilst they are on the phone. WHat they dont realise is-I've already made officers aware, and various questions are coming back to me to ask from various entities on different screens. Often find it handy to say "you are not wasting time on phone to me-officers are already aware- I just need more info for them".

I can see instantly when units have been despatched and can also see where they are on the mapping in relation to the incident. This is handy when a women is on the phone and her husband has just lamped her one and she is anxious, I would stay on the phone and keep chatting to her, one-to reassure her someone is on the way and 2- the calls are recorded and can be used in any evidence. We are recorded even whilst not on calls too.

If reason was sufficient enough, a higher up could ask to listen to what I was doing/saying between any stated times.

From watching various Police/emergency "reality" programmes on the TV, there would appear to be an awful lot of fake/moronic 999 calls, where idiots will call 999 after they have missed the last bus/lost their mate/just feel like f**king around etc.
Plus of course those just to f**k the police or fire service around, the ones I really dislike are the morons who report a fire just so they can hurl bricks/fireworks at the crew. IMHO such c**ts need culling!!
snip "The number of violent attacks on fire crews in England and Wales is going up despite government claims to the contrary, the Fire Brigades Union says!
It said such attacks had become a "recreational activity" with crews facing a daily threat of being ambushed, shot at, stabbed and abused. "

Latest Threads