98% of new jobs go to foreigners

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by lewiscollins, Apr 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Our glorious leader,Comrade Brown tells us often how many jobs have been created in the last 13 years...

What he fails to mention is that almost all of them have gone to foreigners.

I'm not a xenophobe, and it's a sad fact that many eastern europeans have a better work ethic than UK workers,but surely this is a disgrace?

And, yes,its the Daily Mail reporting but original story was by the Spectator from figures supplied by the Office of National Statistics

Attached Files:

2. I wouldn't get too excited, it's only the Daily Mail, hardly credible journalism.
  3. Did you miss the bit about it being "original story was by the Spectator from figures supplied by the Office of National Statistics"?
  4. Yes, then quotes private sector jobs. Gordon has created thousands of public sector jobs and they are mostly staffed by UK Passport holders but let's not let facts get in the way of a good outrage.

All people have to do is look around them, are 98% of your company foreign?
    Yes, there are certain service industries where minimum wage is normally paid and they are generally staffed by immigrant or migrant workers but in the general workplace there's no predominance of foreign workers.
  5. The clue is in the title... 98% of NEW jobs created since 1997 go to foreigners.

Therefore trumpeting about creating jobs when UK citizens have not been benefiting from them is disingenuous to say the least.

Still, we have had years of GBs selective figures being used to prove any argument.
  6. I think using the phrase "Gordon has created thousands of public sector jobs" and somehow thinking this is a positive point undermines your position a bit.
  7. I think you will find that the majority of these jobs are 'minimum wage', something that good old Anglo Saxon Englishmen and women will not get out of bed for!!!!
  8. I'm no supporter of Brown but he has created jobs for the economy. It doesn't matter who those jobs are taken up by because they'll still pay taxes and spend their money in this country.
    Employers have the right to employ those that they feel are best qualified or suited to do the job. I've had dozens of British born applicants not turn up for jobs I've offered them. They only came for interview because the Job Centre insisted they come.
    The first 'foreign' people I employed were a Zimbabwean couple who had come over here as asylum seekers, they were very hard working, honest and trustworthy. Since then I've had all sorts working for me and found them to be just like everyone else, some good, some bad but generally more reliable than the indigenous locals because the motivated ones have all got jobs which just leaves the indolent.
    If a lot of 'foreigners' have got the jobs perhaps the British people should take a long hard look at themselves and address the reason they're not being picked over others.
  9. I think you have hit the nail on the head there!!!
  10. Unfortunately you've been unable to read my mind correctly. I don't think it's a positive point, I think it's a massive negative point but it just shows that those figures mean very little.
  12. Have you read the article?

So the actual figures seem to be for ALL jobs not just private sector ones.
    The graph above is only showing the DECLINE in numbers in private sector jobs.
  13. Be that as it may, surely the point to be addressed is why foreign workers are preferred, if they are preferred? It's also worth pointing out that many Brits are involved in overseas contracts. Under EU Regulations any major public works have to be put out to tender, if an EU company wins that contract they will come over here with their own team of labour; just as British firms are doing all over Europe.
    I believe there are quite a few Brits who work in Germany.