97th Nijmagen march. 16-19 July

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by CivPlod, Jan 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know when I should expect to see a DIN/the release date of a DIN regarding the above?

I'm looking to arrange a team from my unit to send and from poking round the Internet I saw that this WO:
    WO1 M W Galley
    Email: BFG-HQ-G7-PAT-SMI@mod.uk

Co-ordinated the reserve element for the BMC last year.

Clearly, being a STAB, I'm not going to see every DIN as they are published and I don't want to miss the registration for the event which starts on 4/2/13.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  2. msr

msr LE

You could always drop him an email...
  3. MSR,
    The thought crossed my mind.
    However, having a background from the prison service and police you don't approach a rank anymore than 3 ranks above you!(Had an input from the SSM the other month saying the same thing)
    And a WO is certainly 3 ranks well above me.

5. msr

msr LE

If you have been tasked with doing this, just write to him. FFS if that is too hard, I can't see you even starting, let alone finishing....
  6. Done this back in 2007. Great experience and a good challenge
  7. Did it in 1969 as a young air cadet. If it's still the same, it's a great experience. Good luck to the OP. I hope you sort your stuff out and get there!
  8. RGJB,
    Well, I haven't been tasked with it, it's something I want to take to the CoC for the fitter STABs at my unit to do as it looks like an experience. I'm trying to do some ground work before I take the idea forward.

9. Civplod, you shouldnt need the DIN to put the wheels in motion, there is plenty of information online and on ARRSE about the event. The DIN will tell you the requirements for entry and qualification etc. but but there is much more for you to do before it is published.

Understand the event by researching online, see if you have people interested, you will need a minimum of 8 to go to Holland so start with more (perhaps 14 and expect people to drop out with injuries and lack of commitment). If you have enough interested, get a SNCO interested as he will probably have to do the G4 leg work, he will then need top cover from a commisisoned officer in order to book resources for your training and the event itself.

I hoping to put a team in this year and will be the SNCO doing the hard work, i was just one of the walkers last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The jist of it is you will need to apply for funding from your unit budget, apply for a qualification march (well in advance), usually RAF Cosford, then apply for Nijmegen itself (again well in advance). Once all that is done you will need to organise training events to get ypur walkers condidtioned to the distances involved. Im a PTI and it was tough for me as long distance marching requires a completely different type of conditioning to any other activity or sport. You will have to make logistic arrangements to get to and from Holland, accommodation in Holland will be at Heumensoord, arranged through the event's system.

Good luck with it! I will post more as i discover the process details. PM me if you want a chat.
  10. DIN 2012DIN07-164 have you got it yet? PM if you want me to email it to you, were putting in a team again this year

You will have to arrive on 13/14th I think and they wont release yo until the day after so you'll be there about a week
  11. I've done Nijmegen Marches a few times. A great feeling when you march into the beer tent at the end of the day, after being up since 0400hrs. I had blisters on top of blisters. Mindja, that wasn't down to the tabbing - that was cos of the dancing at night in the International Bar down town. Dutch birds are gorgeous and they love British squaddies! The final day has a parade through the town, with your Nijmegen Medal on, and Cloggie totty giving you flowers as you march past. It must have been like that on the VE day parades at the end of the Second World War.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. It's a great experience. I remember the 0100 start for one of our days. Didn't help that we got in off the razz about 30 mins before!

Also remember a bonkers AAC pilot bag piping us all the way round.

Fond memories. Worth a go if you can.

As you say, the final day is superb.
  13. So who's going this year? Close for entry is tomorrow, hope you got on it in time! Were booked to qualify at Cosford, will we see you there?