• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

97 Nazi tanks used as Cold War defences for sale..

SOFIA Nazi tanks, half-buried for decades along the southeastern border of Bulgaria as a Cold War defence against a Nato invasion from Turkey, are to be auctioned.

The 97 rusty Second World War relics, which are said to be of great interest to collectors, have lain forgotten since communism collapsed in 1989. They came into the spotlight in December when police arrested thieves who stole a rare model and reportedly smuggled it to Germany. Some of the tanks will go to the Bulgarian military history museum. The first auction is to be held on March 19.
Photo

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article3549505.ece

Anybody know just what types they are?

Panzer Mk IVs from what I remember reading elsewhere. Not like the Germans were going to give the good stuff like Panthers to their allies.

Saw a picture of one of the tanks which looked like a PzIII with a 75mm gun - the turret looked too narrow to be PzIV. Might just have been a bad angle though

just as an aside...
when the Czechs decided to get rid of their training T34/85's a while back, one of my mates (a MOD contractor) tried to buy one and figure out a way to get it back to the UK ... oddly the germans were not happy with him driving the thing over their border as he headed to the channel ports! Think he said only one ferry would/could take the thing. Deal fell through though. Shame as I was going to help out (ok, I was going to drink beer and do my panzer commander impersonation in the cupola :eek:)

Hello armchair_jihad,

that looks like a late model Panzer IV with long 75mm gun,they had Maybach engines.

tangosix.

DANJANOU said:
Panzer Mk IVs from what I remember reading elsewhere. Not like the Germans were going to give the good stuff like Panthers to their allies.

Not bad given that the pic is a PzKfw II...

Anorack please! And a taxi...

armchair_jihad said:
SOFIA Nazi tanks, half-buried for decades along the southeastern border of Bulgaria as a Cold War defence against a Nato invasion from Turkey, are to be auctioned.

The 97 rusty Second World War relics, which are said to be of great interest to collectors, have lain forgotten since communism collapsed in 1989. They came into the spotlight in December when police arrested thieves who stole a rare model and reportedly smuggled it to Germany. Some of the tanks will go to the Bulgarian military history museum. The first auction is to be held on March 19.
Photo

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article3549505.ece

Anybody know just what types they are?
Panzer IV F or H, BTW the finds hardly new, and neither is the locals making off with parts, or the whole bloody tank :D rear shot of the local storage area

MikeMcc said:
DANJANOU said:

Your recognition is poor count the road wheels and crew. When did a Pz2 have 5 crew and 8 road wheels.

This is a 2

This is a 4 not the difference.

Oops! :oops:

Ok, you can have the anorak back.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Rabid-H,
A similar story; a friend of mine became aware (many years back) that the swiss were about to decommission their Hetzer tank destroyers (inherited from uncle Adolph) and use them as hard targets on ranges. He wrote a begging letter to the Swiss legation, asking to buy one. He heard nothing for ages, then had an invitation to meet in London where he was quizzed as to his motives. Having persuaded them of his desire to restore and show the Hetzer, he was given one - provided he pay for shipping. He now has a fair sized collection of vehicles which he shows and hires out for films.

Interesting one in The Jacks second link, second pic of the second set, looks very Tiger 2ish, now that would be a find.

Napier, was your friend TA by any chance and did he feature in Soldier mag with the vehicle around 20ish years ago?

I thiught that see the pic with the stug that's been fitted withe 75mm gun screwed into it's orginal 105 barrel :? nice looking jagpanzer though dosn't look as bad as the rest of them interesting to see one still had the chassis stamp on it. They should be able to see when it was made and perhaps if it was a rebuilt/which unit it was issued to

MikeMcc said:
DANJANOU said:

oops and that will teach me to load a picture off of google wihouyt looking at it. Hey at leat I got the right country. :oops:

Latest Threads