"94 Regiment"

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by billgreen, Nov 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just learned that my G4 Grandfather James Gracie was at some point in the early 19th century a "soldier 94 Regt". This detail was recorded on his Proclamation of Banns dated 10 November 1814. He was married in the Parish of St Cuthbert, Edinburgh.

Can anybody give me any information about 94 Regiment at that time?
    Is it possible to access regimental records from that time? I guess he was a private soldier as he was from a poor background, so is there any chance of finding a record of his service?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

2. It's 49 not 94
  3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

The 94th Regiment of Foot were the 2nd Battalion Connaught Rangers.
    Don't know if they in Edinburgh at this time but they could have been.
    Hope this helps a little bit.
  4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I suspect that G4 Gracie was in the 94th Regt of Foot (who when amalgamated with 88th Regt of Foot became the Connaught Rangers).

As opposed to Cloggies assertion that he belonged to 49 Para. (I have reason to believe that 49 Para weren't about in 1814 - but I stand to be corrected)
  5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

6. Let me be standing corrected mate.
    But 49 Para was the first unit being inserted by balloons though.

@ oldbaldy; There is an recently restored stronghold just outside my town that is called the"English Entrenchment" where English,or possibly Scottish mercenaries were fighting for the State Army against the Spanish
  7. Need to know mate...need to know...
  8. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I take it that the Womens Auxilliary Balloon Corps was founded at about the same time...
  9. Of course 94 Regiment in 1815 had just run its first Snow Queen and was planning on not moving from barracks for over two hundred years!
  10. Thanks, chaps.

The serious advice was a help; the banter was amusing briefly. I'll leave you in peace.