90mph police chiefs driving ban

BBC news

The former chair of roads policing at the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) has been banned from driving for speeding at 90mph.
Meredydd Hughes, the chief constable of South Yorkshire, apologised after being caught on camera in a 60mph zone on the A5 at Chirk near Wrexham in May.

He stood down from his role at Acpo after he was summonsed for the offence, which happened when he was on holiday.

He was disqualified for 42 days and fined £350 by Wrexham magistrates.

Hughes, 49, did not appear in person before magistrates but entered his guilty plea via his solicitor, Huw Edwards
42 day ban and a fine? is that all? Oh well such is life.

He should be required to resign or, at the very least, demoted. If that was a Police Constable receiving a driving ban you could bet that his/her forces Standard unit would be on him/her like a pack of wolves.

The_Seagull said:
He should be required to resign or, at the very least, demoted. If that was a Police Constable receiving a driving ban you could bet that his/her forces Standard unit would be on him/her like a pack of wolves.
True but required to resign. Thats well out of order considering what he or she had given to queen and country.

Thats like saying your CO should resign if he had an ND. Be reasonable. This wouldn't even be a story if he wasn't a Bobby.

Bad_Crow said:
The_Seagull said:
True but required to resign. Thats well out of order considering what he or she had given to queen and country.

Thats like saying your CO should resign if he had an ND. Be reasonable. This wouldn't even be a story if he wasn't a Bobby.
It wouldn't be so much of a story if it wasn't for this Call for less visible speed traps

Meredydd Hughes, the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) head of road policing said it was "strange" the cameras were easily identified.

Currently speed cameras have yellow panels and are clearly signposted.

Mr Hughes, the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire, said less obvious cameras would catch more rogue drivers.

Unfortunately, a call for having more hard-to-see speed traps is going against a visual deterrent theme, which the current Government is keen to put accross.

Be reasonable? Why?
Not like anybody else is liable to be treated reasnobly for the same offence are they?
I've got a NIP sitting here for 58mph in a 40 zone, nobodies fault but mine and I am likely to loose the job for it but I expect no mercy, why should e be any different?
Just for clarity I was doing 58mph in a 40, works van, Motorway roadworks at 5am, no work force present and one other vehicle on the carriageway. The points I will recieve will prevent me continuing with the agency job that I was working for.
I expect no sympathy here nor in court, but just because this guy is a Police Officer should not make him any less liable for punishment.

Bad_Crow said:
The_Seagull said:

It would have been a non story, but I can guarantee that is it was a bobby he would be severely in the Sh!te, and would probably be required to resign, let alone the ACPO lead on the offence he's been banned for. Most bobbies have given as much as they can for the crown and public but it doesn't stop them for getting the sack or being told to resign for relatively minor infractions.

Look at the outcry when PC MILTON was in court for speeding in a police vehicle, at least he had an excuse.

jagman said:
Be reasonable? Why?
Not like anybody else is liable to be treated reasnobly for the same offence are they?
I've got a NIP sitting here for 58mph in a 40 zone, nobodies fault but mine and I am likely to loose the job for it but I expect no mercy, why should e be any different?
Just for clarity I was doing 58mph in a 40, works van, Motorway roadworks at 5am, no work force present and one other vehicle on the carriageway. The points I will recieve will prevent me continuing with the agency job that I was working for.
I expect no sympathy here nor in court, but just because this guy is a Police Officer should not make him any less liable for punishment.
Why would you be going to court over it, are you trying to appeal?

jagman said:
Be reasonable? Why?
So twenty odd years to the queen means feck all. Besides you drive a van for a living. He drives a desk and therefor has no fair reason to lose his job for what he did on his own time.

You commited an offence in works property on what I ASSUME was works time? By doing so broke your part of the agreement which probably says you can't work for us if you have points.

If he was a traffic copper I might have been inclined to agree a little bit more with you.

SparkySteve said:
jagman said:
Be reasonable? Why?
Why would you be going to court over it, are you trying to appeal?
Will delay replying to the NIP for the full 28 days, might as well get a month more work before I loose the option :D
Depends on wether I get a fixed penalty option or not (at nearly 50% over the limit probably not), if the penalty is more then 3 points I will loose the work. Apparently my speed suggests 4 to 5 points for it, if its 3 or less I may still be able to continue.
It may be possible to appeal to the Magistrates better nature if so and keep it to 3points, not optomisitc on that one though :D

The_Seagull said:
Bad_Crow said:
The_Seagull said:

It would have been a non story, but I can guarantee that is it was a bobby he would be severely in the Sh!te, and would probably be required to resign, let alone the ACPO lead on the offence he's been banned for. Most bobbies have given as much as they can for the crown and public but it doesn't stop them for getting the sack or being told to resign for relatively minor infractions.

Look at the outcry when PC MILTON was in court for speeding in a police vehicle, at least he had an excuse.
Just spoken to a serving bobby about this 30 seconds ago who says. No you wouldn't be expected to resign and you would simply get a slap on the wrist off the job and a driving ban like everyone else.

Editted to add he knows of three cases of this in the last few years!

SparkySteve said:
It's exponential, i got 14 days and £200 for 47 in a 40(!)

I thought anything over a certain limit was an instant revocation?
You were bloody unlucky. Last time I was caught earlier this year I was doing 47 in a 40 zone and just got 3 points and a £60 fine.

theoriginalphantom said:
Bad_Crow said:
The_Seagull said:

It wouldn't be so much of a story if it wasn't for this Call for less visible speed traps

Notice the timing; his offence was in May, the report of the cll for less visible speed cameras was on June 5 ie just after his offence.

THe sheer cheek of the Liarbore establishment (because that is what ACPO is) never ceases to astound me

Meredydd Hughes, the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) head of road policing said it was "strange" the cameras were easily identified.

Currently speed cameras have yellow panels and are clearly signposted.

Mr Hughes, the Chief Constable of South Yorkshire, said less obvious cameras would catch more rogue drivers.

Bad_Crow said:
So twenty odd years to the queen means feck all. Besides you drive a van for a living. He drives a desk and therefor has no fair reason to lose his job for what he did on his own time.

You commited an offence in works property on what I ASSUME was works time? By doing so broke your part of the agreement which probably says you can't work for us if you have points.

If he was a traffic copper I might have been inclined to agree a little bit more with you.
Not arguing that I deserve any form of excemption from the system but I would say that as a senior Police Officer who advocates the use of speed cameras he has less excuse than anyone for the offence.
The public also has a right to expect people in his position set an example and comply to the laws they so rigorously enforce

asmallbrownduck said:
You were bloody unlucky. Last time I was caught earlier this year I was doing 47 in a 40 zone and just got 3 points and a £60 fine.

It's worse then that. That was my second fine within the first two years of my license, i pleaded leniency to the Magistrates and had the points transferred to a 14 day ban with the fine. However, the third set, which was accumalated(sp?) in the same week, did not give me that option and in May this year i had my license revoked under another two week ban, and i sat (And passed) my tests again.

Bad_Crow said:
The_Seagull said:
Bad_Crow said:
The_Seagull said:

Just spoken to a serving bobby about this 30 seconds ago who says. No you wouldn't be expected to resign and you would simply get a slap on the wrist off the job and a driving ban like everyone else.

Editted to add he knows of three cases of this in the last few years!
bloody hell, he must have an understanding standards unit, though, in fairness, I've not known of anyone in my farce getting banned from driving since I've been in (nearly 7 years) so my assumption is from the usual way in which our rubber heelers deal with things (harshly).

Edited to add

Also what sort of message does it send out if he's not punished in a meaningfull way by his force. just look at the comments here by ordinary blokes who've been caught. Maybe making him resign is a tad harsh but he should have some form of punishment (other than a slap on the wrist) by the job.

By all means punish him for being an idiot and not setting the example. However Top Brass or not he's given a good few years to his Force and the Queen.

People who expect him to resign are just attacking him for who he is not what he has done.

Prince Harry gets bladdered and its front page news. See where i'm going with this?

Chief Constables have a car and driver for their work,so for this man,there's no real hardship.His wife can drive him on private journeys.However he's been hoisted by his own petard.As usual with these people,it's '' Do as I say,not as I do''

Latest Threads