900 Sacked at Oil refinery

Remember the place that walked out over the employment of foreign nationals?

So much for taking on Total. Obviously got a bit bored with the Unions inability to control its members and have sacked the majority of the workforce.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/8108434.stm

Contract labourers withdrew their labour because 51 staff had been let go? Don't they realise that they are the expensive labour? Unofficial action? Plain stupid, if you ask me, and they have got everything they deserve.

Watch out for a few jobs coming back (at greatly reduced wages) for permanent staff.......

A few of our customers work there and they're all as Left-Wing as they come. A shot over the Bows is sometimes a good way to put the cat amongst the pidgeons and remind people just where they stand in the food chain...!

Cool - we have'nt had a good Fuel Protest/Panic since 2000! 8)

Nothing funnier than watching the Cattle fight each other for the last few drops of petrol! :twisted:

What do they expect when they go out on an un official strike and against terms of their contract.
No sympathy what so ever and I wonder how many of them will be offered a job when they have to apply for their old jobs????

Interesting read though. The two versions of what happened and why are totally polerised. Tbh, I never trust a company's press version of events, but feel that the workforce have no-one, but themselves, to blame for losing their jobs.

Could this become a Summer of Discontent for Labour? I truly hope so :twisted:

Total boss on Today said perfectly willing to talk but only once agreed procedures are followed and blokes go back to work. If this is the SP, good. Maggy is too feeble to come back and crack skulls

jarrod248 said:
I think things are slowly escalating, in time the riots on the streets will come. I've thought this for a few years now. The immigrants and migrants will be seen as the root of evil and not the corrupt govt.
Cool, break out the Hickory sticks and FRG's.....!

"TARGET'S Will Fall when Hit"

OldRedCap said:
Total boss on Today said perfectly willing to talk but only once agreed procedures are followed and blokes go back to work. If this is the SP, good. Maggy is too feeble to come back and crack skulls
Problem with this, is that they have sacked them, so there is no talks to be had. Both Unite and GMB are saying that Total are not willing, nor have been, to talk. Like I said, totally different views.

This will not sit easily with other workers and it has already started to spread to other places. Better start replenning now :wink:

Saw some of it on the News this morning and one of the union reps on a soap box shouting away with the words "Brothers and Sisters". The unions never change do they!!!! Un official strike, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Recce19 said:
OldRedCap said:
Problem with this, is that they have sacked them, so there is no talks to be had. Both Unite and GMB are saying that Total are not willing, nor have been, to talk. Like I said, totally different views.

This will not sit easily with other workers and it has already started to spread to other places. Better start replenning now :wink:
Yes, but to talk about what? Unions asking them to impose restricted working and employment practises that would be illegal? That's plain stupid.

Good on Total for putting two fingers up. I can't believe that in the times of the biggest squeeze in economic history and the biggest jump in unemployment in the UK for 20+ years that these muppets thought that anything else would happen.

Contractors are the biggest pain in the arrse in any business. They do not acknowledge the companies structures or managerial authority and fiddle tax in such a way that they take home perhaps twice what they should.

Total are running a business, not a charity and need to manage costs, these guys have clearly priced themselves out of the market and now want to be protected as if they are full time PAYE employees. The mind truly boggles. Contract rates in London have gone down from £500 per day to £250 and less, it's called a recession.

Oh right, so the workers are entirely at fault.
Nothing at all to do with Total planning on going back to cheap imported Labour after the fuss a few months ago had died down then?
Total have no interest in resolving the issues, they simply binned 900 workers with the intent of doing as they originally planned and using sheaper labour.

jagman said:
Nothing at all to do with Total planning on going back to cheap imported Labour after the fuss a few months ago had died down then?
Total have no interest in resolving the issues, they simply binned 900 workers with the intent of doing as they originally planned and using sheaper labour.
Exactly, it's called running a business and I totally support them in that. Or would you rather see the business go bust and everyone lose out?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
The cheaper labour were EU nationals I think and therefore entitled to work anywhere they want to.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of that, did the union really think that the law would be changed to suit them? If they did, I’d suggest they’d sold the workforce down the river.

All out during a recession? Staggering timing lads.

Sounds like a little contractor envy there western ;) Contractors fill short term holes in many industries without long term liabilities. If they ignore company structures then they should be fired and replaced. Rates are still up there for the right people. Oh and its not fiddling your taxes its perfectly legal tax avoidance, only an idiot pays more than he needs to for the government to squander. :)

Wildcat strikes in the current climate is barking. Sometimes these people think they are irreplaceable. Wake up time I think. It was the same with the US air traffic controllers in the 80's, they tried to hold the country to ransom and Reagan sacked the lot of them.

Ord_Sgt said:
Sounds like a little contractor envy there western ;) Contractors fill short term holes in many industries without long term liabilities. If they ignore company structures then they should be fired and replaced. Rates are still up there for the right people. Oh and its not fiddling your taxes its perfectly legal tax avoidance, only an idiot pays more than he needs to for the government to squander. :)
That of course is the theory and I am sure works in some cases. I have worked in two FTSE 100 companies where contractors were full time, 10 years plus, where they were exactly as I described.

As for the tax situation, it is about as honest and moral as MPs expenses but as long as the tax man allows it so be it. The point I was trying to make is that these people can only be afforde when the economy is doing well during a recession they have to bend to market forces.

western said:
jagman said:
Exactly, it's called running a business and I totally support them in that. Or would you rather see the business go bust and everyone lose out?

Total go bust over it? I don't think so.
We went over the rights and wrongs when the orginal strike happened, nothing has actually changed except Total have tried to box clever on the issue.
As for bad timing for going on strike, when you are going to be unemployed anyway it doesn't really matter does it?

And no I don't support Total in this, I don't entirely blame them though. I do blame Brown and Blair for creating employment conditions where UK workrs can not compete with imported labour. Thats the harsh facts for you, governement policy has made it easier and cheaper for firms to have 3 million imported workers in this country while we have 2.25million unemployed.
When UK workers try to get a level playing field everyone here condemns them, I'm sure you will all be equally as happy to condemn them when they are sitting at home on the dole?
Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

As I say, we went through this all months ago, in the meantime unemployment continues to rise faster than ever. These people are fighting for their jobs by the only method available to them and all we have to say is tough shite, you are on your own?
Never mind, Ashie will be along shortly to remind us its all a BNP put up job just as he did last time and we can forget all about it. It's not our jobs down the shitter anyway is it?

The long and short of it is that this country is in financial doodoo, are we really helping reverse that by stitching the jobs market up to intentionally prevent UK workers getting work in the UK?

Can't disagree with you there Jagman, but until we have a revolution and lop a few heads we will just keep letting it go on.