9 US troops killed in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by petergriffen, Jul 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. They ever try this over running an out post lark before aganist coalition forces?....I know they did it against the Russian's
  2. Bollock's :( news just gets worse and worse.........
  3. We should pull out of that god forsaken place
  4. Yeah they used to try it all the time when 16 Bde were first out in 2006, they soon learned that it wouldn't work and started to switch to more asymmetrical tactics.
  5. Drop a FAE on the village send them all to paradise.
  6. RIP guys.

Btw, those killed had fathers, husbands, brothers and sons. What else could you expect in the country where each boy is taught to shoot?

AP reported that the airstraike took olace in 'Deh Bala district of Nuristan province'

While the Taliban is mostly Pushtun organisation with strong Islamic background, the Nuristanis (it is a separate people) are different.

So it is highly unwise to allienate the Nuristanis, to bomb their wedding ceremony.
  7. RIP brothers
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

As already pointed out - this wasn't the Taliban, or AQ, this was some very, very, very upset locals. R.I.P. to the fallen, and to those civilians killed in the air attack also.
  9. Sergei they werent civilians.
  10. Sir, maybe you are right, but according to the BBC

I'm absolutely sure that it was a mistake, that of course it was not cold-blooded killing. However, I agree with the author of the article, agree with his conclusion.
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Repeatedly in Helmand as I understand it. Bloody noses as a consequence. They have however had more luck over-running US patrols and temporary bases - I can think of one of each off the top of my head. Both US SF.

I'm not sure why they have achieved vs the US more than anyone else (motivation? Location? Daring on behalf of the US SF? Stupidity on behalf of US SF for being there? The list is endless..).
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Are you saying the attack on the US base nearby that is the subject of this thread was not an ACF operation but locals out to revenge the wedding bombing or are you saying the wedding was civvies and not ACF?
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

As I understand from the reports, it is quite likely to be revenge attacks against US forces in the very same region as the wedding party that got bombed by mistake.

It seems too coincidental that a couple of days after this wedding party got wiped out, there are numerous attacks all over that province against US forces, with some horrendous results.

My comment stands - R.I.P. the US fallen, and R.I.P. the Afghans at the wedding. One would have to be a cold b@stard not to feel for the civvies that got killed by mistake.

Whether the wedding was ACF bods or not, there were women and children killed.
  14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Roger that.

I am wondering what the US lessons learned from this might be...

(a) don't determine if large groups of people moving near a border area are taliban by flying at angels 20, but get eyes on target or independent corroboration

(b) brass up everything that gets within 500m of our bases..