• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

9 out of 10 porridge wogs get more in public services than they pay in tax

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Here's an interesting economic model.

Nine in ten Scots 'living off state's patronage' - Telegraph

Almost nine out of 10 Scottish households take more from the public purse than they contribute in taxes thanks to a “rotten system” of state patronage, the Tory party conference will hear on Monday.

Ruth Davidson, the Scottish Conservative leader, is to highlight official figures showing that only 283,080 households north of the border – 12 per cent of the total – pay more in tax than they receive in public services.

She will tell delegates that, because the public sector is seen as the key provider of everything from housing to employment, state spending now accounts for more than half Scotland’s wealth.

Miss Davidson supported her claims by publishing figures from the Office for National Statistics, which showed the average Scottish household consumes £14,151 more in public services every year than it pays in tax.
On that basis it's difficult to see how Scotland's going to avoid going bust after independence.

Wordsmith

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Even Labour has said recently that things have to change - that one-upmanship in terms of, effectively, buying votes has to end. Funnily enough, the nationalists don't see it the same way.

Osbourne wants to slash £10Bn from the benefits slush fund, Salmond will be introducing the porridge tax soon to pay for his independance folly!!

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Pffft, they'll be living like kings on the proceeds of their North Sea oil.

Oi, stop laughing.
have you read the theories on that? salmon wants a scottish sovereign wealth fund or at least some cash to splash and one theory is they will have to sell the north sea rights to china.

my favorite is scotland goes independant thinking it can use the oil revenue, then shetland declares it doesn't want to be part of the jock republic and takes 90% of oil/gas with it. sets up a sovereign wealth fund making them the wealthiest people on the planet with a fleet of hired mercenaries to protect its interests :)

Oooh, its been ages since we had one of these. Sooner or later the SNP will have to piss, or get off the pot. I'm guessing sooner as the rest of the UK is a tad strapped for cash. Either they stick with the mainland and the SNP lives off 'what might have been' propaganda. Or they go independent, and hope for a slice of overseas aid for developing nations.

The SNP has been crying wolf for a long time now.

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
I wish they'd just keep their promises about becoming independant and starting Scotlandia or whatever they are going to call the place.

And now Salmond has been exposed over the fact he tried to get Trump to support him in releasing the Lockerbie bomber.

I would not trust him as far as I could shit him!

I have a feeling Trump has more on Salmond too which will come out in court when Trump takes teh Scottish Government to court over a wind farm being built off the coast of Aberdeen.

I hate Trump, but he could be the nail in the coffin for Salmond and his dirty dealings.

i'd like to see the figures and how they compare elsewhere tbh. do they actually think this line of attack is going to work? also how do the square this with
According to the most recent figures, Scotland contributed 9.6 per cent of Britain’s tax take and accounted for 9.3 per cent of public spending.
in the same article?

if they do get george osbourne to head up the "no" campaign i'll know for certain that they're working directly with the SNP

And now Salmond has been exposed over the fact he tried to get Trump to support him in releasing the Lockerbie bomber.

I would not trust him as far as I could shit him!

I have a feeling Trump has more on Salmond too which will come out in court when Trump takes teh Scottish Government to court over a wind farm being built off the coast of Aberdeen.

I hate Trump, but he could be the nail in the coffin for Salmond and his dirty dealings.
the smug twat will just do his sug affable smile, look a bit hurt and ingidnant and shrug it of. unless its written down and documented it wont stick, the smarmy arsehole.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
i'd like to see the figures and how they compare elsewhere tbh. do they actually think this line of attack is going to work? also how do the square this with in the same article?
The Scottish tax take will include corporate tax, etc. That should be a definite plus on the balance sheet. And Scotland is partially funded from the rest of the UK under the Barnett formula - i.e. Scotland gets a higher subsidy per citizen than many other parts of the UK.

Take out North Sea oil (which is already part peak production and in decline); add in a fall in corporate tax if companies relocate to the UK after independence, the removal of the Barnett cash and Scottish finances look distinctly sick in the future.

There will be other hits as well - an obvious example being the relocation of many military facilities in Scotland to south of the border. That will hit local economies hard.

Wee Eck does not want independence. He wants devo max so he can be king of his dung heap while still attracting substantial funds from the rest of the UK: power without the full financial consequences.

Wordsmith

Latest Threads