9 month tours coming up?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Schaden, Mar 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

2. A snip from the MOD spokesman:
    'No decisions have been taken on the drawdown profile of the redeployment from Afghanistan.'

Is 'withdrawal' such a bad word?!
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

they'll find some way to do it just so they can shaft the battalions that should have been doing it and stick them on the dole instead.
  4. As the end approaches, I wonder how many young officers will deploy for a month in Bastion to get their first medal - no shame.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The TRB are already doing that!

Plus theres already people on nine months tours where its already been identified that they wont be handing over to anyone!
  6. Plenty of year long tours for staff and continuity posts too.

7. What is the issue with longer tours? The US Army have traditionally had 12 month tours?

What's the issue ?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The RE(V) contingent pencilled in for H21 is a 9 monther if you read between the lines. It'll be interesting how they work that! Dunno why, after H21 it just carries on under a different name.
  9. msr

msr LE

See the Kings College study into tour lengths and PTSD
    • Like Like x 1
  10. If it comes about... Err talk to 4 Rifles who are about to go out in less than two weeks, I am reliably informed, from the rifleman I was on the piss with last night that they already have been told they are doing a 9 monther.

Quote from the article: "Soldiers in direct combat roles will not be asked to do the extra three months" - Wrong!
  11. Will 4 RIFLES be in direct combat or mentoring?
  12. I'm not sure if I should say too much on here for obvious reasons.

The guy I know is direct combat, and is doing a 9 monther. However some of them will be mentoring. I fail to see the difference myself, 9 months stuck with anp/ana worrying your going to get shot in the back or shot by the taliban, vs 9 months getting shot at by the taliban. Infact I'd rather be doing anything other than "mentoring" if it was me.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Troops from 1X have been told it'll be a usual 6.5 monther maybe extending to 7, and the decision has absolutely NOT been made ref H19 and H20. Drawdown timelines have not been established yet and will impact on what capabilities are needed for how long. However if I was on 19 or 20 I'd mentally prep myself for 7-8 months. There is no answer yet on whether reservists will do longer than 6.5, but I'd guess it is unlikely.
  14. I don't think that more than six month would be appropriate for Inf Bns on the line.

You could do 9 months in Bastion or KAF standing on your head without the need to go postal on return. It's horses for courses.
    • Like Like x 7
  15. I think your friend needs to inform the Bde Comd of his decision to extend the tour ^~