9 mm L7A1

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by stoatman, Feb 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anoraks on, chaps.

Attached is a photo of a box of 9 mm L7 A1 ammunition made by Hirtenberger. This stuff is hot! It does about 1345 fps out of a glock, and has a 124 grain bullet.

Is it British issue? Is L7 A1 the "new" designation for Mk.2z? is it something different?

Has anyone seen this stuff in service?

Attached Files:

• l7a1.jpg
      File size:
      7.4 KB
  2. We only have L18
  3. It is intended for use in the likes of an MP5! Generates high pressures.

Do a search on Hirtenberger L7A1 9mm
  4. in the Police firearms blah, we only use 95 grain 9MM ammunition, and we can't use FMJ ( full metal jacket) but have to use JSP ( jacketed soft point)
    to avoid over penetration. The fully jacketed stuff is supposed to be used in the H&K MP5 as it is longer and prevents stoppages. There is other ammunition about for "other " jobs, but I'd hear a knock on the door if I posted details here..
  5. Hello,

6. Thanks!
  7. Good job you were using a Glock, and not a vintage Luger.....
  8. I resent the idea that I would ever be caught using a glock!

Someone else's ammo, someone else's gun, someone else shooting it, on someone else's continent. Thankfully.
  9. Some might just not have any other options than using a Glock mate! :wink:
  10. Don't get me wrong, it's a great service piece and some of the models make great carry pieces, but Tupperware is just not for me on the range...
  11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Very interesting raises some questions too:

Was this British Government surplus that was released by UK Gov?
    12,000,000 is rather a lot of leftovers from what appears to be a rather special requirement order?
  12. If I recall correctly, the SMG required a relatively strong charge as a weaker charge could potentially lead to the working parts not blowing back fully and the weapon not stopping until the mag was empty.

The same ammunition would wear browning pistols out quite fast.

Glocks are crap IMHO (From a purely design POV, I have never fired one and never want to be in a position where I have to carry or use one). The only reason they are so popular with US Law enforcement is agressive marketing.
  13. MoD plod have recently changed their weapon of choice from the MP5 to the MP7 (which uses 4.6x30mm rounds). Could this account for all 12 million, or has someone else also dispensed with their MP5s recently?
  14. How recent is 10 years ago, which is the date on the e-mail?
  15. 4(T) nice comment about the vintage Luger...

a ahem..'friend' accquired one from 'someone he knew', and brought it onto the range...i gave him a small but informative brief about world war two and older, vintage weapons not being proofed for modern ammo...but he covered his face with his left hand and cabbied off a few dozen down range ..no harm done at all, but rather him than me... told him to have a feckin' good look at it afterwards....also sent him a link to 'you tube' which shows you how to strip and assemble, etc....a very useful site to all up and comming 'gangstas'.