9/11 suspect, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, confesses

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Devil_Dog, Mar 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/14/guantanamo.mohammed/index.html

Nothing to be surprised about. The real shocker is : why did it take nearly five and a half years to get to this point? When was the confession 'extracted?' Is the confession being released now for reasons that are more political than anything else?

Dubya's Whitehouse is in deep crap for it's Iraq strategy and the Attorney General is being asked by members of both parties to resign for lying to the congress. Is the tail wagging the dog here?

Makes for a real interesting press conference, doesn't it?
  2. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

This confession must be bogus, according to all the 911 conspiracy theories here on this board and other places. It must be a Government conspiracy! ;)

Of course, you are almost as bad with your Left Wing conspiracy theories, on why the info was released now, etc. Usually, such data isn't released during an on going trial. Right?

I was not to surprised the hear the other targets for the second wave, Seattle was one of the Cities, with one of our tallist bank buildings on that list. As well as most of the other major US Cities.
  3. Trippy,

sometimes I wonder who the true conspiracy theorists are. Those who doubt the real sequence of events on that terrible day or those who accept (and propagate) everything they are told about why that day is painfully etched into our collective memories.

Speaking for myself: I think that since we have been lied to by the same people in whose watch it all happened, there is always more than meets the eye.
  4. I must admit, the timing is "curious" to say the least. I really doubt it would effect anything though.

There are conspiracies everywhere anyway, you just need to look.
  5. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

"Usually, such data isn't released during an on going. Right?"

Which part of the above didn't you understand?

The confession is evidence in an on going hearing and/or trial. Evidence isn't released usually, until the trial is over or is is presented in a public hearing or court.
  6. Chiefy,

It will affect something. Public opinion. 9/11 has been the great tried, tested and trusted of the Republican party.

This news should rekindle the fire in the so-called base.

Anything to steal the thunder from the Dems who have been scoring one victory after another since the congressional elections.

Do not forget to mention that the Reps. have been putting one bullet after another in their foot with each passing day. Walter reed, now Gonzalez and his political targeting of US attorneys.

If this were a boxing match, it would be the 10th round of a 12th round bout with the Dems up by 14 points with one point to go before the ref stops the fight.

Can they do it?

Alas, past experience has shown that they can't.

7. Trippy old boy, the trial is not over and yet 'evidence' has been released. A public hearing has not been presented to the masses so your point is moot.(As a matter of fact, was there ever a trial? We are talking about Gitmo for Christ's sake!)

The trial will be over, after a sentencing which will probably reach us through a leak by 'unconfirmed sources', or several months (or years) after it happens. Just like the aforementioned confession.

Human memory is so short!!
  8. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

"presented in a public hearing or court." Perhaps I should have included military hearing. A confession is still evidence and needs to be handeled as such. This subject, could be windup being tried in a civil court, as others from Gitmo have.

Of course, as mentioned in the release there are some security and Itel issues as well.
  9. Trippy,

Was it? And if it was, can this court survive the light of day?

Edited to add that just as I was posting the above I ran into this random quote:

"Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people."
    Dr E.L. Kersten (submitted by Chief_Joseph)
  10. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Ok! Your fired! :thumright:

Dr E.L. Kersten

11. I see you edited your comments quite a bit since we last met! Too bad it doesn't say so anymore after you do a little editing like it used to.

My point before I go: Dubya is in deep crap and he knows it. Expect in the next few days a high profile arrest for a terroristic crime that was stopped by our watchfull FBI or CIA. It would go a long way to remind the nation that the Republicans are not totally useless.

Or a tape from OBL. That has traditionally seen the numbers go up in the GOP's favor.
  12. I'm sure that's the intent (if there really is an intent, I note only that the timing is curious, and will leave it at that...). I doubt it will actually have an effect though. Attention is far more poised on Anna Nicole (still, I can't believe that is STILL in the news :frustrated: ) Few people will actually care, let alone change there minds about anything, thats my point
  13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

You need to stay alert for revisions of my posts. I don't want to use another message blank to correct or add more detail.

As for your ideas expressed above, what is the point for those tactics now? Election year? Maybe! :cyclopsani:

The Democrats have failed in most all of there attempts to do much, mostly because they can't seem to agree among themselves, as usual.

They still don't really have a 'plan' or idea how to do what they want to do. Surrender may be? Perhaps they should consult the experts the French. They seem to be making asses out of themselves without any assistance of the other party. :brilsmurf:

Now if they used the tactics you suggest in the election year, coupled with the arrest of, or a confirmed kill of OSB, that might help elect a Republican President, if they come up with a good one . :thumright:
  14. After being in "double-secret" detention for so many years, I'm personally surprised he hasn't coughed up to being Jack the Ripper.
  15. Apparently he was working with Lord Lucan...