9/11 Budweiser Tribute

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Sep 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

2. I noticed also that the NY Mets were wearing FDNY hats tonight. Not very lucky though, they were 13 -5 down a few minutes ago!

3. Give us a bud ;)

We will remember.

4. Give me 48 Buds, I will forget :)

5. We're never allowed to forget. Pity the citizens of NY didn't have better memories of terrorist incidents when St Paddy's day came round each year and the dipped into their pockets to support NORAID.

6. Which citizens of NYC are you referring to? There are 8 million of us.

Not sure what you are implying.

7. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I'm sure many people in New York and the rest of the USA, had many memories as well as care, for the bombings and loss of life, etc. on both sides of the 'Troubles,' in NI and the UK.

Perhaps these New Yorkers were remembering 'Bloody Sunday,' 1972. Although as I understand it most of the funding for the IRA and PIRA was collected in the UK. In any case these people were a very small percentage of the people of America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_(1972)

Or perhaps they were history buffs and studied the history back through the ages, of the Irish and the UKs continued troubles and incidents.

In any case, I think this was a poor place to bring this up, since we are talking about the loss of almost 3,000 innocent souls murdered on 9/11 at the World Trade Center, many of them from the UK and other Countries.

8. Why? What happened in New York yesterday?

You're not doing very well with dates these days, are you?

9. Hello,

but surely November hasn't been yet?????

tangosix.

10. Can't let that slip by without;

Yeah but at least we had real terrorists, not the kind your d!ckhead Persident dreamed up!

It took a while but after negotiation there is now have a semblance of order.

USofA doesn't have a cat in hell's chance of achieving that. I mean, how many have been prosecuted? Name them.

11. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Crabby,

You know very well what happened in New York yesterday! :roll:

There was a ceremony at 'ground zero,' as well as the other places attacked on 911. This was a day of Solemn Remembrance of all the inocent victims murdered by the terrorists that day in 2001.

I thought the Bud tribute was a good reminder, of that day and to go with the the remembrance of these victims. :wink:

BTW: That is the way we write dates here Month, Day, Year!

Sept 11, 2007 (9.11.'07)

12. And for some reason this was more poignant than the services held in 02, 03, 04, 05 and 06 (not to mention the events of 11Sep01)?

The only time the ad was shown was during the Superbowl of all things, not after 9/11 and not to mark any anniversary either. (The Superbowl is held in early Feb for those who don't pay attention to American football.)

My question is what does one have to do with the other? The brewery is just trying to shift that watery p1ss/ p1ssy water they laughingly call beer (I'm convinced the Clydesdales add the secret ingredient) and are just appealing to the knuckle-dragging, mouth breathing NASCAR fans who form their client base and who are too dumb to know any better- both in terms of the ad's objective and their taste in beer.

Personally, I liked this ad more:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH50-giCeDM&mode=related&search=

I think it provides a poignant commentary on the genocide in Darfur.

13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Crabby,

You just don't get it!

I don't care when the ad was first shown, or what you think of our football or NASCAR fans, etc. I'm not a fan of the beer, nor American beer in general. In reading news reports on the UK's hooligan soccer fans, I don't think you should throw to many rocks in your glass house.

The video, was a well done reminder to all Americans and others, of what took place on the day of the attack on 9.11.'01. It can be viewed on any anniversary, of that event and be meaningful to most humans, that view it especially Americans, since the attacks occured in the USA and the majority of the victims were Americans.

14. I do get it. You're as dumb as the NASCAR fans if you think this is anything more than an appeal to the cost-free, bumper-sticker, I'm-not-sending-my kid-to-Iraq-but-I'll-put-a-yellow-ribbon-on-my-SUV-just-don't increase-my-taxes pseudo patriotism that is endemic in the US.

"Support the troops. Drink Budweiser."

15. Love it when Bloody Sunday is brought up by our cousins across the pond. A few bloody sundays have taken place in Iraq and elsewhere but are not fetishised - probably because the people involved happen to be unromantic and because such events don't fit into the great American narrative. There have been thousands of incidents across the globe where far more than 13 people have died at the hands of armies but none are remembered like Bloody Sunday. At the very least that suggests double standards and the holding of the UK to a higher account than elsewhere.

That said, there was no need to have a dig at New Yorkers on this thread in the first place. But if it's OK for you to bite over 9/11, it's OK for us to bite over NI.