89 (AB) MI Section

Who are 89 (AB) MI Section

• A bunch of unprofessional cowboys, who think they are Paras and are destroying the good name of thei

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A collective of war heroes who are misunderstood

• Well above us mere mortals, tried and tested collation methods are not for them, anyway, who needs t

• Total voters
Several points:

After 21 and a bit years in the glorious Corps, I am very strongly against changing Unit names, which happens with sickening regularity every couple of years, and really p1sses off some of our trading partners, especially when things go full circle (again).
However, to be historically accurate, I should point out that things have indeed changed in 10 years; I was a member of that particular Section myself 10 years ago, when it had lost the 89 moniker and was called 41 (AB) MI Sect.
Although by no means fat, I was also one of the blokes in that Section who had not done P Coy, and had no intention of jumping out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft. In my defence, I was not a willing volunteer; I was posted to the Shot against my will, and went kicking and screaming and clinging on to door frames as they dragged me all the way. When I arrived, and was issued with the maroon beret (for God's sake don't call it red!) and smock, I questioned my eligibility to wear them, and was told that I had no choice. When I refused, they said I would be charged if I didn't wear them.
They're still a bunch of posing tw@ts though, and they punch like girls.

Slightly_Nasty said:
Several points:

After 21 and a bit years in the glorious Corps, I am very strongly against changing Unit names, which happens with sickening regularity every couple of years, and really p1sses off some of our trading partners, especially when things go full circle (again).
However, to be historically accurate, I should point out that things have indeed changed in 10 years; I was a member of that particular Section myself 10 years ago, when it had lost the 89 moniker and was called 41 (AB) MI Sect.
Although by no means fat, I was also one of the blokes in that Section who had not done P Coy, and had no intention of jumping out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft. In my defence, I was not a willing volunteer; I was posted to the Shot against my will, and went kicking and screaming and clinging on to door frames as they dragged me all the way. When I arrived, and was issued with the maroon beret (for God's sake don't call it red!) and smock, I questioned my eligibility to wear them, and was told that I had no choice. When I refused, they said I would be charged if I didn't wear them.
:salut:

Sorry, O_I_&_S...

I always thought that at least attempting P Coy / AACC used to be 'the done thing' for service with 16 AA Bde / 3 Cdo Bde.

Slightly_Nasty said:
Several points:

And you told me you were HALO trained! Thats the last time I get p!ssed with you! Bah! :D

Sod off, ye bastids. I want to categorically state right now that there is nothing remotely waltish about applying to join the Women's Royal Auxhilliary Balloon Corps.

FrogPrince said:
Sorry, can't resist....

Why don't the Para qualified brethren wear the cherry coloured titfer and the rest wear the sky blue beret ? Then everyone can tell the sheep from the goats.

:wink:

The G2 dept at 3 Cdo Bde is all RM, isn't it ?
Many, many, many, many moons ago when AF was a young sprog on his first tour......CR, give that lantern a shove will ya?

We did have Cdo Trained Int Corps bods manning the Cdo Bde Int sect. I dont' think it has ever been repeated since. Can't get the volunteers (unless they transfer FROM the Marines). Now we dont even have Para trained personnel for the AB Int Sect. Unless they hand out passes for completing a virtual course on one's Playstation/X-box, I think the days of Int Corps personnel qualifying for wing/daggers is almost over.

sorry to be ****, but may we remind frogprince that there is a difference between someone being "RM" and someone from another capbadge (e.g. ours) earning their dagger.

so no, the 3 Bde G2 is not "all RM".

Ah....

So the JNCO's from 89 Int Sect that I met at HCSC at Camberley in the mid '90's were jump qualified, as I thought, and the ex Int Corps YO who worked with me in the early noughties did really have his dagger and wings up but the requirement has changed. (Aren't they really just Methods of Entry ?)

I did know that AACC =/= RM Cdo, honest CR. It was supposed to be a tongue in cheek remark. I will now duly hush.

you don't have to hush really. i'm just stroppy first thing in the morning till i have my first brew. and the editor is being a bit slow in getting the kettle on this morning ;)

AF1771 - think that there are 2 guys para trained in 89.

Could be wrong.

CR just had it confirmed there are 2 guys jump qualified. Cheers

Slightly_Nasty said:
Sod off, ye bastids. I want to categorically state right now that there is nothing remotely waltish about applying to join the Women's Royal Auxhilliary Balloon Corps.
How come you got turned down for having a moustache like a burst mattress then?

BB_for_Short said:
CR just had it confirmed there are 2 guys jump qualified. Cheers
That's great news. More respect for our cap badge amongst the purple machine.

I will now go and sit the corner and thrash myself soundly...