878,300 disabilty claiments fail to attend medical checks.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Mar 31, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And a further, similar amount found fit for work upon assessment. About 1.7 million people extra, now seeking work.

If we're next told that the number of people out of work has not increased by this amount, or the number of people in work has increased by this amount, we can assume that someone, somewhere, is lying about something.

Interestingly, in the telegraph article, it was stated that the benefit bill would not be reduced a a result of this.

As clear a case of obnubilation as I've ever seen.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I was told NOT to fill it in by the CAB ,,as I am to old,

• Like Like x 1
  3. Do ATOS get more money if they fail you?
    As the % is high of those claimants that are failed at the ATOS medical but win on appeal!

4. Is it better to have these people on disability benefit or on JSA, competing with everyone else? Surely the last thing the job market needs is millions of extra people.

5. its amazing who they have got to work,, downs syndrome are now working at our asda,, they have to be walked around on a one to one so that will not last long,,

• Like Like x 1
  6. Supposedly about 60% win on appeal, which would equate to about 480,000. Which changes the figures significantly yet again.

More obnubilation.

7. Well according to some, there's plenty of work about, if only they're prepared to look for it.

So why any government should wish to 'massage' the figures is beyond me.

8. [h=3]Atos Healthcare in the UK[/h] Atos Healthcare's has a contract believed to be worth £400 million with the UK's Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), under which it "conduct disability assessments for people claiming a range of disability benefits including Employment Support Allowance, Incapacity Benefit, Disability Living Allowance and Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit."[SUP][25][/SUP][SUP][26][/SUP]
    Atos has been criticized in the media,[SUP][27][/SUP][SUP][28][/SUP] in Parliament,[SUP][29][/SUP] by the medical profession,[SUP][30][/SUP] and by protest groups[SUP][31][/SUP][SUP][32][/SUP][SUP][33][/SUP] regarding its disability programs.
    A government study published in 2012 found that half of the people identified as "fit for work" by Atos Healthcare's Work Capability Assessment on behalf of the Department of Work and Pensions in the UK, remained unemployed and without income.[SUP][34][/SUP][SUP][35][/SUP]
    In 2012, 43 complaints against Atos doctors and nurses were being investigated by the General Medical Council or Nursing and Midwifery Council.[SUP][26][/SUP] Criticism has been directed at Atos over the ability of its staff to deal with complex mental health problems and conditions whose symptoms vary with time.[SUP][36][/SUP] In August 2012, Atos Healthcare claimed they had appointed 60 Mental Function Champions to provide additional training.[SUP][26][/SUP]
    Atos assessors have found patients with terminal cancer or severe multiple sclerosis to be fit for work.[SUP][37][/SUP] 1,300 people died shortly after being declared fit for work by Atos.[SUP][38][/SUP]
    In August 2011, twelve doctors working for Atos as disability assessors had been placed under investigation by the General Medical Council because of allegations of misconduct in relation to their duty of care to patients.[SUP][39][/SUP]
    MP's first debated Atos Healthcare and the Work Capability Assessment in Westminster Hall on 4 September 2012.[SUP][40][/SUP]

9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

when there were claims in for blisters and such its hardly surprising that the nu labour way of massaging the jobless figures by removing the cant be arsed onto something else would eventually fail.

the tories are stuck with trying to hide them somewhere else now. if they are no longer disabled but not jobseekers then they just get income support or whatever they call it nowadays.

its not all scrounging though - when I was on incapacity benefit for my broken wrist it paid me just enough to keep my bills paid and do the food shopping so I didn't try for anything else. when I got shafted by the medical and appeal before I went back into hospital I was not impressed as they thought I could work in a call centre. pain induced anger, agoraphobia and ptsd were not it seems a hinderance to me being able to work in a non existent call centre as I hadn't bothered to hit anyone recently. the magistrate who did the appeal didn't answer whether he would give me an extra point for throwing him out of the third floor window.

if they want to reduce the benefits bill then capping rents, bulk buying sky tv for claimants along with govt issue tax free fags and white cider would save billions.

10. Thanks for that, I didn't know how to use Wikipedia.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Its easy, want lessons?

12. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Why? Is B&Q full.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  13. After 19 years on IB (only paid some of it due to WP overlap) I recived my ESA50 filled in and sent off to atos sent special delivery so they could not claimed lost. (post office did lose it for a time ) I called atos they looked for it and called back when found. Then told no need for medical they sent form back to DWP a couple of weeks later got call telling me in support group for 3 years. Time from getting form to transfer less than 6 weeks . Many people transfer no problem.

14. Oy! B&Q is reserved for the over 70s. They've got bigger car parks for the mobility scooters and a fuckin' great srore room for the Zimmer frames, thank you very much.