82nd Airborne Legend

Compo rations I believe. Tuna in tomato sauce made excellent pizzas if you had onions and cheddar in the field. An oven was ideal but not compulsory.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Some i was told in the 80's
All Africans
All Assholes
Alcoholic Assholes
Alcoholic Africans

Alcoholics Anonymous
Let's leave the alcoholic bit out. We all know they can't handle it.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
If it's the chili tomato sauce they're actually not bad. Quite good broken up with a fork, load of chopped onion and green pepper and a little fresh dill. Bit of brown bread with butter and job's a good'un.
You were spoiled.

Perhaps, but by the same token I'm happy to scoff them straight out the tin with a spork while bimbling about the kangene.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Newp, dare I ask...?
Remove pilchards in tomato sauce from 10 man pack. Bury in hole on Soltau training area and depart. Ignore German demands for compensation. (Other training/operational areas may apply.)

Ah yes pilchards not tuna. Nobody liked them. I loved them between two bits of bread with cheese possessed when you were so hungry you could eat a donkey between two mattresses.

I saw combat, it was on TV once a week!

It did seem a tad unrealistic having one Negroe soldier in an otherwise almost all white section!
Whenever I hear about the 82nd Abn, a really crap tv show called For Love and Honor comes to mind, at least they were accurate when it came to how shïte their berets look.......
7C37A495-50BC-42EA-B7D8-384E27045DD3.jpeg

Remove pilchards in tomato sauce from 10 man pack. Bury in hole on Soltau training area and depart. Ignore German demands for compensation. (Other training/operational areas may apply.)
Point of order, apologies would be due to the Pilchards. Waste of perfectly good protein.

Not on a combat jump, sport. But you wouldn't know that, would you?
So in a windowless plane you know when to jump without the pilot who knows where the dropzone is telling you using the lights...
Ok sure.
All that red light green light shīte is pointless then...

Last edited:
Is the geezer bottom left one of our very own dusky Arrsers?

Where's Cutaway. Isn't he a gentleman of colour?
He’s Yaphet Kotto, was at one point a Bond villain and then Idi Amin in the Raid on Entebbe film, then hit rock bottom by playing a septic abn type, can’t go much lower than that.....

Lower_jumper must have been trained by a certain bemedalled cycling Milan expert.

ABNredleg

Old-Salt
So in a windowless plane you know when to jump without the pilot who knows where the dropzone is telling you using the lights...
Ok
When the Rangers jumped in Panama they were instructed to ignore the red light. I would have done the same as LJ, as would just about everyone in my unit. Dangerous, and potentially stupid? Yes, but that’s how things were in the Division back in the day.

Ok sure.
All that red light green light shīte is pointless then...
Ouch......... a few technical points here. It's the navigator with all his learning of things compass, aircraft speed, ground wind speed, adds it all up on a piece of paper aided by a n HB pencil, who decides which colour to press the button on. Pilot merely turns the steering wheel en route and puts his foot on the brakes when told.

Us Brits and our Cousins have a different red / green light routine. Our Cousines have an inordinately lengthy 'red light (standby)' time frame while ours change within 10/15 secs as a rule. Can be longer on lengthy cross country runs to the DZ, but not usually.

When the Rangers jumped in Panama they were instructed to ignore the red light. I would have done the same as LJ, as would just about everyone in my unit. Dangerous, and potentially stupid? Yes, but that’s how things were in the Division back in the day.
In the spirit of Sicily, Salerno and of course Sainte-Mère-Église

Some of us racing snakes elected to undertake the road run from St. Mere-Eglise to Camp McCall on a few occasions. It was an object lesson in how much territory Ft. Bragg absorbs.

I can envisage the current President, of all entrepreneurs, convert some of that territory to golf courses with Pope AFB handling the Lear Jet visitors.

Not on a combat jump, sport. But you wouldn't know that, would you?
Having read the other thread you started (as linked previously in this one) there is no evidence you did *any* military service,never mind in the units you claimed let alone seen any combat.

BTW CoD, PUBG etc don't count.

Latest Threads