81mm Mortars

Discussion in 'Canada' started by The_Cheat, May 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has moving the 81mm from the Inf to the Atilerry made much of a difference? I'm under the impression that the Mortars are quite often co-located with the guns... Does this work?

T C

2. No. Considering the infantry still have 81mm mortars. Mortars are never really co-located with artillery.

3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

TC you would have to have a f,,,g big mortar to match the range of your guns. Or put your guns very close to the enemy, what do you reckon?

4. Why would you put a mortar with a maximum range of about 5km with guns with a maximum range of 16km?

5. Pararegtom

TC watch the Video again and Listen to the intro, 20 seconds into the Video, he states Mortars are used for Local defence of the guns. Errrr end ex.

6. Well that's what I'm getting at. In Canada mortars are no longer an Inf asset and instead are being used by the artillery. All I wanted to know was if this had made a difference.

Am I the only one here who thinks that the Inf should have them back? Should they really be used to protect the guns?

T C

7. Mortars are the best asset we've got within the Bn.

8. I don't think you guys get my point. I know they're the best asset within a BRITISH battalion but I'm not talking about us.

Canada took mortars from their Inf and gave them to their Artillery. Does anyone know if this has had a positive or negative effect on their use?

T C

9. Pararegtom

Pretty obvious TC if the infantry Bn,s dont have the assets it can only be negative, Nothing better than Charge 8 WP/HE hitting the enemy before you go in Close.

10. Well imagine us doing the same. Now try to weigh up the positives and negatives. There's your answer!

11. It wouldnt work!

12. Besides. The artillery are pump. The best place to stand in an artillery barrage is the very place they are trying to hit. Though you'll be waiting a long time as it takes them forever to miss! :)

13. Well that's along the lines of what I was thinking! I was just wondering if that was the case or were the Canuck drop shorts living up to their nicknames.

T C

14. If it's given to the Arty, we' lose that organic support.

Yeh the Canadians still have 81mm mortars, but seeing as they're not in the Bns and are Arty, that means that no support from them is guaranteed if you're an infanteer. They could be taken away at any time unlike a Mor Pl in your Bn.

Wouldn't fancy the mortar support just stopping abruptly halfway through an attack :(