81mm Mortars

Has moving the 81mm from the Inf to the Atilerry made much of a difference? I'm under the impression that the Mortars are quite often co-located with the guns... Does this work?

T C

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
TC you would have to have a f,,,g big mortar to match the range of your guns. Or put your guns very close to the enemy, what do you reckon?

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
TC watch the Video again and Listen to the intro, 20 seconds into the Video, he states Mortars are used for Local defence of the guns. Errrr end ex.

Well that's what I'm getting at. In Canada mortars are no longer an Inf asset and instead are being used by the artillery. All I wanted to know was if this had made a difference.

Am I the only one here who thinks that the Inf should have them back? Should they really be used to protect the guns?

T C

I don't think you guys get my point. I know they're the best asset within a BRITISH battalion but I'm not talking about us.

Canada took mortars from their Inf and gave them to their Artillery. Does anyone know if this has had a positive or negative effect on their use?

T C

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
Pretty obvious TC if the infantry Bn,s dont have the assets it can only be negative, Nothing better than Charge 8 WP/HE hitting the enemy before you go in Close.

The_Cheat said:
I don't think you guys get my point. I know they're the best asset within a BRITISH battalion but I'm not talking about us.

Canada took mortars from their Inf and gave them to their Artillery. Does anyone know if this has had a positive or negative effect on their use?

T C
Well imagine us doing the same. Now try to weigh up the positives and negatives. There's your answer!

Besides. The artillery are pump. The best place to stand in an artillery barrage is the very place they are trying to hit. Though you'll be waiting a long time as it takes them forever to miss! :)

Well that's along the lines of what I was thinking! I was just wondering if that was the case or were the Canuck drop shorts living up to their nicknames.

T C

If it's given to the Arty, we' lose that organic support.

Yeh the Canadians still have 81mm mortars, but seeing as they're not in the Bns and are Arty, that means that no support from them is guaranteed if you're an infanteer. They could be taken away at any time unlike a Mor Pl in your Bn.

Wouldn't fancy the mortar support just stopping abruptly halfway through an attack :(

Fallschirmjager said:
Mortars are the best asset we've got within the Bn.
Bunch of homos, drunks and troublemakers - but we would be up shit creak without a paddle without em!!

The_Cheat said:

T C
Negative. Very...

Don't expect a gunner to man pack and 81mm tube and baseplate anywhere, for example, so the 'leapfrog' thing only works if they can drive around like gentlemen or find suitable heli support. So the sneaky company raid thing with 81mm support, with bombs carried by the rifle platoons, is pretty much out. Can you imagine any gunner, apart from a Para or Cdo gunner (which Canada doesn't have anymore because they disbanded all that 'nonsense') from even wanting to consider somethign like that? Not likely.

And they do like their little fire bases with all the creature comforts. So, as I've heard, the infantry are pretty much stuck working under the gunners 'umbrella' which has limited range outside of fixed bases.

Also, I belive the mortars suffer from the same 'status' thing in the gunnner world as the heli pilots do in the air force world: if you're a mortar guy, you're pretty much the second 11 and/or always trying to make your way into the batteries with the 'real guns'.

Rumour is that they're thinking about giving the mortars back to the infantry though because they're now being equipped with 'real' guns like the M777. Let's hope....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sympathetic_Reaction Infantry 14
Bravo_Bravo Infantry 34
A Army Reserve 22