8000 calorie ration!!!

Would you eat two brunches? Whilst I enjoyed it I did feel bit bloated and since I had a long drive in the dark it was perhaps not the best choice.

How did you work out the calorific content, just out of interest? It was not at Wetherspoons BTW.

Had it been Weatherspoon's, there's an easier way:

Bloody furriners going up there and eating all your scotch pies.

I just collect all their old whisky they don't need laying about.

pinback2001

RIP
RIP
Would you eat two brunches? Whilst I enjoyed it I did feel bit bloated and since I had a long drive in the dark it was perhaps not the best choice.

How did you work out the calorific content, just out of interest? It was not at Wetherspoons BTW.

I wouldn't, that is why I call them breakfast and second breakfast.

DITA

MIA
So still Scottish then?

I mean he could be, but there has been an infiltration of Engerlish over the border in the last few years...

Boxy

GCM
Wow. How does Sgt. Svelte complete his annual Battle Fitness Test (or the British Army equivalent). Nice boots, Danners?

He doesn’t, he’s a Cadet Forces Adult Volunteer, CFAV, the TRF on his left shoulder is for ACF Scotland...
Plus I know the bloke

ETA: No, not me

Just out of curiosity if you wanted to consume 8000 calories in a single meal, what type of foods would be best to get the numbers up? Perhaps a cross between a jumbo mixed grill and a supersized all day brunch?

What you need a starter? Pate on fried bread perhaps? What about pudding? What would you wash it down with?

IIRC the average body can only digest 8000 calories per day, which is one of the factors to consider for arctic expeditions where they burn up to 12000 calories per day. So most of an 8000 calorie single meal would just go right through you.

Truxx

LE
Years ago we were involved in the trials of the then new "boil in the bag" rations which were destined to take over from tins.

We organised to have samples sent all over the place, with a lengthy questionnaire which had to be completed by the users, returned to us, then collated for the boffins. Who I recall were very sincere.

Come the debrief we were in a spot of bother, only a tiny number of the questionnaires had been returned, and only a small handful had anything worth noting on them.

"So" said the hyper keen boffins "what was the most important thing that users found?"

We were obliged to quote a member of 1 Para who had scrawled in his bestest joined-up writing;

"If the bag breaks yer fcucked"

Tyk

LE
Years ago we were involved in the trials of the then new "boil in the bag" rations which were destined to take over from tins.

"So" said the hyper keen boffins "what was the most important thing that users found?"

We were obliged to quote a member of 1 Para who had scrawled in his bestest joined-up writing;

"If the bag breaks yer fcucked"

For an infantry type or someone with their kit being bounced about in an armoured box with a bangy bit I guess bag breakage is a real risk. Not like functional rations are an optional extra.

Truxx

LE
For an infantry type or someone with their kit being bounced about in an armoured box with a bangy bit I guess bag breakage is a real risk. Not like functional rations are an optional extra.
Part of the sales pitch was that the scoff could be heated, then the hot bag stuffed in a pocket to be consumed at some point.

But I fairness the bag was changed to a much tougher one.

Yokel

LE
Just out of interest is there a food supplement that can be added to things and provide a lot of additional calories? I am thinking of my (currently bedbound) who just needs more calories to stop further weight loss and to get her strength back.

She has 2kcal/ml drinks and I add protein powder to her Horlicks...

Drs634

Swinger
Just out of interest is there a food supplement that can be added to things and provide a lot of additional calories? I am thinking of my (currently bedbound) who just needs more calories to stop further weight loss and to get her strength back.

She has 2kcal/ml drinks and I add protein powder to her Horlicks...
Coconut oil is just over 100 cal/tbsp and can be mixed into most things relatively easily.

Yokel

LE
Coconut oil is just over 100 cal/tbsp and can be mixed into most things relatively easily.

Interesting. Where is the best place to get hold of coconut oil - a health food shop or a chemist like Boots? Also does it have a coconut taste, and what can it be added to?

Edited for accuracy.

You are as funny as Michael Macintyre. I was talking my Mum you sick throbber.

Just because you like to get a protein boost from a friend....

Drs634

Swinger
Interesting. Where is the best place to get hold of coconut oil - a health food shop or a chemist like Boots? Also does it have a coconut taste, and what can it be added to?
You can get it at most supermarkets as well as health food shops - you just want to look for the purest one you can get without any of the dodgy additives.

It does have a coconut taste to it but I find it’s mild enough to be mostly covered by other flavours, of course there will still be a hint of it in the background.

You can add it to pretty much anything. It’s easier to mix into hot things/cook with though as it solidifies when cold but if you warm it just above room temperature you can also add it to smoothies etc.

Edit: also consider blending a tbsp of peanut butter into protein shakes for another easy 100 calories.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer