80’s 1157 Kit: Did anything work?

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
The discussion on ponchos elsewhere got me thinking, did any issue kit from the 80’s actually work as intended? A very great deal of it from memory looked great in a locker layout but failed in epic style in use for its intended purpose.

Strikes me that it fell into one of three categories:

1. Stuff that worked (NI gloves?)
2. Stuff that would have worked if prevailing “thought” hadn’t interfered (bulling rather than using dubbin on BCH)
3. The Rest (in your own time, carry on. Starter for 10, plimsolls).
Joined in 88 went straight out to BAOR and posted to Hemer.
so still a NIG to a lot here

Light weights
Tropical combats
Parka (never allowed to wear it though)

everything else was bollox, especially the 58 bum roll, nightmare when wet.

everything else was bollox, especially the 58 bum roll, nightmare when wet.
Especially when you had to try and fit your NBC suit in it when it was designed for a poncho. I bought an Arkiss codura 58 poncho roll which was a lot bigger and could comfortably fit in NBC kit, and a light weight poncho in it. Great investment for about £10-£15. I only had a couple of years use out of it though as we were issued PCLE 90 soon after.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Especially when you had to try and fit your NBC suit in it when it was designed for a poncho. I bought an Arkiss codura 58 poncho roll which was a lot bigger and could comfortably fit in NBC kit, and a light weight poncho in it. Great investment for about £10-£15. I only had a couple of years use out of it though as we were issued PCLE 90 soon after.
But that was cheating!

Cut lengthwise and then stitch a wide stretch of elastic down the back of the ol' poncho roll. Looking at it from the back no one was any the wiser. But, unclip, booooiiiinnnnnng (and you had an NBC and poncho in it) clip up and off you go.

Proff3RTR

Old-Salt
Ah Artkis, ground breaking kit. I bought thier rip stop trousers, smock and button together webbing, so much better. Got a lot of stick from some of the then 'Sweats' about all the gear and no idea, lets just say I was sorted when they were still trying to get a noddy suit into thier sopping wet bum roll.

Latest Threads