W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
IMG_20210816_101314.jpg

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
By all that's holy, that is utter dog shit.
Im going to have to get one and rock it out, Mrs RM is a teacher and just heard me say "That's fforking ace" she shook her head and asked "Why?" I said it's like you getting excited about a pack of Sharpies however I would rather go into battle with something to kill with rather than colour him in !

Last edited:
Yes, but the price to pay was a V-necked woolly pully. I can only assume that was to show off the shirt & tie underneath. Completely ignoring the fact that 3 washes after new, it was completely fvcked with shoulder pads halfway down the arms.

It was funny serving with crabs who sought to hold onto their old Army-pattern JHWs, threadbare and faded, but the alternative… :)
In my time in the RAF I had both the round neck style woolly pully and the V neck. After a while the first neck shape I had came back in (I can’t remember which it was) but the material was different and thinner. I never wore the things apart from when I had to as I hate jumpers over a shirt. When I left in 2013 I handed in a woolly pully which had a hole in the shoulder from the SLR foresight fDom basic training. All my jumpers had pen pockets on the arms.

Somebody else up thread mentioned aircrew jackets being good. They were begged, borrowed or (mostly) stolen and used by us pan trash to keep warm. Us ground had them long after the aircrew had dpm jackets issued. It wasn’t unusual to see ground crew in Chinese Fighting suits, aircrew jackets and parkers when servicing the aircraft. Not all being worn by the same person before anyone chimes in how soft we are.

RP

Moglington

Old-Salt
Somebody else up thread mentioned aircrew jackets being good. They were begged, borrowed or (mostly) stolen and used by us pan trash to keep warm. Us ground had them long after the aircrew had dpm jackets issued. It wasn’t unusual to see ground crew in Chinese Fighting suits, aircrew jackets and parkers when servicing the aircraft. Not all being worn by the same person before anyone chimes in how soft we are.

RP

By far the best bit of kit the navy ever issued for groundcrew was the Flight Deck Windproof smock, which was on issue through from the 50s/60s to at least 2010. Better than any of the aircrew cold weather or DPM jackets.

BJretd

Swinger
I don’t know why the cable was called D10 or where the “Don” came from. Early phonetic alphabet makes sense. In my time in, it wouldn’t be because of the number of strands. That was total 7, 4 copper and 3 steel. The steel strands were like needles when you stripped it to joint it. Ltwt quad was basically 4x D10 inner cables, paired black/white.

Earlier iterations of D10 may have been 10 strands, or perhaps it was a catalogue or part # - needle nose pliers were often called “81s” because of some historical item # on a toolkit CES.
Needle nose pliers were known as 81's in the "GPO Telephones" group carried on into "British Telecom" though whether it came from R Sigs or the other way round I don't know.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads