80’s 1157 Kit: Did anything work?

Easy. As OC's driver, I spent a lot of time with Tiffy getting unofficial mods for his FFR.

So this newfangled CVR(T) has the engine out of the Jaguar XK120, and early E-Types?

Yes.

And they run on 5*, but we run these on CombatGas. How does that work?

Simple. The bill for replacing plugs and points every couple of hundred miles comes out of a different budget.
Pretty certain the XK engine was approximately de-tuned ?!

Being honest with you... The R sigs was utter crap & not real soldiering was it? I say this as a guy who served in another cap badge & also R Sigs. The "YOS" or "FOS" were OK guys but on exercise the R Sigs were "tradesmen" but piss poor basic soldiers. That´s why they had chunkies doing it for them.
On hols in Kenya one of our group was former SIGs but was discharged after a year or so due to an injury.

After a brief dit exchange he said he pretty much never went out in the field as a sojer does.
He spent his whole time in classrooms, back of warm vehicles etc at worst.
In his own words "It wasn't proper soldiering, we were technicians in green clothing."
No idea what his trade was now but he was an absolute Rain Man with mental calculations.

IF you'd been R.Sigs you'd know they were classed as a teeth arm.
Combat support arm. Only two teeth arms - Inf and Cav. Everything else combat support or combat service support.

edited to add that AAC eventually made it into the ranks of the master race after years of bleating that Lynx TOW really was an act of war.

Last edited:
What on earth were we supposed to fit in the thigh pockets - one 'very' well folded map would just about do it but that's all - and then you wouldn't be able to move. Why we never followed the US example and used some sort of bellows design is beyond me
We're talking about the filo-fax era, which went in the thigh pocket, but the material was so "good", the filo-fax button would wear a whole in the material :( .

TamH70

MIA
Because it would be like saying because Andy Massey commanded 22 and Trogs drove routinely to A2 Ech that they were a Teeth Arm.

FFS.

How about you go look up who were the furthest forward-deployed troops on D-Day of the start of the ground phase of Operation Granby and took the first Iraqi prisoners before you start bumping your gums?

There is video footage on the internet somewhere of some twat from the BBC embedded with the shooty-people saying that he's with the furthest forward troops, completely ignoring the massive antenna farm way far in front of him.

How about you go look up who were the furthest forward-deployed troops on D-Day of the start of the ground phase of Operation Granby and took the first Iraqi prisoners before you start bumping your gums?

There is video footage on the internet somewhere of some twat from the BBC embedded with the shooty-people saying that he's with the furthest forward troops, completely ignoring the massive antenna farm way far in front of him.
Quite probably. But R Sigs were then, and now, a combat support arm not a combat (teeth) arm.

Go on then, why is it a joke? They operated with Inf as RLD, they were FAC, had a Sqn with THEM etc etc. Do tell how none of that is part of a frontline teeth arm role.
264 SAS signal Sqn went in with the first assets in FI. ( G Sqn Attached):salut:
216 Para Sig Sqn.

22 Gurkha Sig Sqn ( Mess with those lads, and you end up on Sainsbury's slab at £2 a kilo);)

And never were. Combat support arm, despite what they may have erroneously thought.

Incorrectamundo.

Granted, now classified as Combat Support, but until at least 1991 classified as Teeth/Combat arm. My understanding is that it was less to do with RLDs, SAS and Para sqns, and more to do with the EW capability. In the same way that RE were classed as Teeth Arms due to their ability to deny ground to the enemy, same for R SIGNALS due to ability to conduct offensive EW and deny enemy comms.

It's hard to find documents online that prove this, but Hansard doesn't lie, and misleading Parliament is a big no-no.

Mr Profumo speaks in 1963 thusly:

The position in the "teeth arms" on 1st January, 1963, was as follows:

Royal Armoured Corps—Five regiments between 23 and 33 short of establishment.
Royal Artillery—Fifteen regiments between 25 and 50 short of establishment.
Royal Engineers—All units up to establishment.
Royal Signals—This Corps has very many small units and sub-units: 36 of them had significant shortages.
Infantry—Eighteen battalions between 50 and 100 short of establishment. Twelve battalions over 100 short of establishment.

He might have shown poor judgement with Christine Keeler, but I doubt he would mislead Parliament.

Same in 1991, the Earl of Arran (MOD Parliamentary under Secretary) speaking of the Army restructuring groups the Support Corps together (formation of AGC and RLC), and then goes on to speak of the Combat Arms, including RAC, RA, RE, R SIGNALS and Inf.

I know this changed later, and if I'm honest, it was always a bit tenuous given the size of the EW contingent in the Corps, but R SIGNALS, RA AND RE were indeed classed as Teeth Arms. I think AAC too.

Quite probably. But R Sigs were then, and now, a combat support arm not a combat (teeth) arm.
I think you’re wrong. The term “Combat Support Arm” did not exist in the 80s. There were “Arms” and “Services”. The taxonomy of Combat, Combat Support and Support Arms dates to Options for Change and the formation of the RLC.

In the 80s, there were IIRC 8 “Arms”; infantry, armour, gunners, sappers, signals, intelligence, aviation and SF. The rest were “Services”.

I do not believe the term “teeth arms” was an official one, but it was usually used colloquially (certainly in BAOR) to refer to those arms that formed the Battle Group ie infantry, armour, sappers and gunners.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
So you don't know, fair enough.
I do know that classifying R Sigs as a ‘teeth arm’ is a bit of a joke. The number of ex-scaleys on here banging on about what a dreadful experience they had in your Corps is legion. I’m not denigrating your professionalism or skills but saying ‘it’s because we support SF’ or whatever is a rubbish argument. At the same time Inf Bns had chefs and fitters attached - does that make the ACC and REME ‘teeth arms’ too?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I do know that classifying R Sigs as a ‘teeth arm’ is a bit of a joke. The number of ex-scaleys on here banging on about what a dreadful experience they had in your Corps is legion. I’m not denigrating your professionalism or skills but saying ‘it’s because we support SF’ or whatever is a rubbish argument. At the same time Inf Bns had chefs and fitters attached - does that make the ACC and REME ‘teeth arms’ too?
You've not bothered to read what others have written then, just waded in windmilling wildly.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
You've not bothered to read what others have written then, just waded in windmilling wildly.
I know exactly what the Royal Corps of Signals did and does. I haven't 'windmilled' into anything as you so charmingly put it. I'm not denying that Scaleys were termed as part of the 'teeth' arms when it was a popular descriptor back in the day. I'm not denying your soldiers are as brave and professional as any others.

But it's still a joke and the furious attempts to justify it on here by some people simply make it even funnier.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I know exactly what the Royal Corps of Signals did and does. I haven't 'windmilled' into anything as you so charmingly put it. I'm not denying that Scaleys were termed as part of the 'teeth' arms when it was a popular descriptor back in the day. I'm not denying your soldiers are as brave and professional as any others.

But it's still a joke and the furious attempts to justify it on here by some people simply make it even funnier.
You clearly don't know what they do. It appears everybody is wrong but you in your mind.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
You clearly don't know what they do. It appears everybody is wrong but you in your mind.
Describing the Royal Signals as being on a par with the Infantry is the only wrong thing here...there are even Scaleys who find your position a little puzzling.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I fondly remember the debate on whether the RADC was counted as a teeth arm or not

Latest Threads