80’s 1157 Kit: Did anything work?

Hmmm that might be them, would have to see the inside of the boot to be sure though. It's been a long time since I binned the pair I had, hell it's 33 years ago according to my sums.

May I ask if there is a link for those boots please? I'd like a name and a closer look at them, if it's them I may even buy a pair if they'll ship to over here.

Slime

LE
Could be worse, there was a tale doing the rounds some time ago of an officer who was wearing Winter Guard Order with a T shirt under the greatcoat (pretty much SOP ISTR) who for some reason found himself in the company of HMTQ indoors and was invited to remove the greatcoat as 'he must be very hot'. Probably belongs in the Army Myths thread though.

I seem to remember a TV interview with a guards officer with him saying it had happened to him, so first person account.
Not saying if it was true or not, but it did appear on TV.

I have a memory of a section commander coming to us from the MT platoon who had KF collar/shirt fronts, which he wore with company green sweat shirts under a combat jacket or wooly pully as required. An excellent piece of tailoring by the way.
That's over-engineering a solution to a minor problem. I've heard of KF shirt collars being stitched into JHWs, but that mod is not far off predating UBACS territory by decades. Very clever.

I never had a problem with KF shirts, but then again, I never had to wear them in bloody summer.

Concur re Salmond House and Cassels House. My wife of the day worked at Cassels House (having escaped NAAFI in Kempen and JHQ), and I did my ACG course at Salmond House.

I wish I could go back in time and do it again.

Issi

LE
They were great, until the sudden crumbly sole-rot. I had a pair of Blundstones that did the same (Aus manufactured).
I’m on my second pair of free Blundstones due to this problem. I had a pair that I took to Thailand for work, they lasted a week .
I got in touch with them and they sent me a replacement pair. These lasted just over a month before it happened again.

They’ve sent me another pair and I’m hoping these last. The story is that to save costs they’ve sent them to China to be made with the inevitable drop off in quality.
Fingers crossed but I can’t fault their customer support.

Did anything work? Yes, the bootlace in the neck of the woolly pully.
That's triggered a memory.

Did anyone come across specimens with creases down the sleeves of their wooly pulley done with araldite.

We had two bods out of their to minds who did.

It looked utter pump.

Slime

LE

Did anyone come across specimens with creases down the sleeves of their wooly pulley done with araldite.

It looked utter pump.

‘A friend’ had some sewn in with invisible thread for a particular course where sharp creases were a thing :)

That's over-engineering a solution to a minor problem. I've heard of KF shirt collars being stitched into JHWs, but that mod is not far off predating UBACS territory by decades. Very clever.

I never had a problem with KF shirts, but then again, I never had to wear them in bloody summer.
Some lucky people were excused KF shirts on the grounds that it brought them out in a rash. When ever letters were sent to Soldier magazine complaining about them, some Colonel would always write back claiming that they had excellent insulating qualities. Yes - in the summer, anyway if that was the case why didn't officers wear them instead of their white cotton shirts and puttees.

I think the answer was it was all part of the class system, the officers in the nice comfortable tailored cotton shirts and the peasants in the shapeless sack cloth.

people were pretty much allowed to lace their boots as they wished. I did mine as per DMS – 'straight' across.
When I got my first pair of BCH I laced them straight across the same as DMS as I didn't know any other way. I never had any problem with them and the good point was that you were always safe from being decapitated if any Gurkhas were sneaking around checking your boot laces to see if they were laced cross over style like a German.

Issi

LE

It looked utter pump.
We had a numpty with us who had pen pockets sewn onto the sleeves of his jumper.
The weird thing was, that nobody (authority figures I mean) seemed to notice or care. Very strange.

Slime

LE
Some lucky people were excused KF shirts on the grounds that it brought them out in a rash. When ever letters were sent to Soldier magazine complaining about them, some Colonel would always write back claiming that they had excellent insulating qualities. Yes - in the summer, anyway if that was the case why didn't officers wear them instead of their white cotton shirts and puttees.

I think the answer was it was all part of the class system, the officers in the nice comfortable tailored cotton shirts and the peasants in the shapeless sack cloth.

Looking at your last paragraph, back in the day the uniforms were full of class/privilege clues imho.
Black shoes v brown shoes
metal cap badges v cloth badges
KF/KD?/white shirts
scabby barrack trousers v cloth working trousers
different messes
one sausage rule v silver service
And, on a charge v ‘high jinks’

Slime

LE
We had a numpty with us who had pen pockets sewn onto the sleeves of his jumper.
The weird thing was, that nobody (authority figures I mean) seemed to notice or care. Very strange.

Was that never an issue thing?
I do recall seeing blue RAF woolly pullies with a pen pocket.

It looked utter pump.
Not araldite but have seen soap used and collar sewn in. There was a staffie who put weights at the bottom of his lightweights no pun intended to make sure they stayed boxed off thank god the gulf came along and made us all scruffy for a while.

Looking at your last paragraph, back in the day the uniforms were full of class/privilege clues imho.
Black shoes v brown shoes
metal cap badges v cloth badges
KF/KD?/white shirts
scabby barrack trousers v cloth working trousers
different messes
one sausage rule v silver service
And, on a charge v ‘high jinks’

Absolutely agreed.

But then again, ORs didn’t have to put on a lounge suit to get so much as a cup of tea in the Mess, and uniform was free. Wearing jeans in the Mess didn’t cost you a week of extras, nor did ORs have to live like a 40-something from the 1920s, unlike subbies.

Age 15, I sooo wanted to be a DE officer. Aged 52, thank my lucky stars it never worked out.

There was a trend for wearing ankle chains under lightweights to keep them boxed. I remember rocks clanking around camp. Ridiculous. I stitched the creases in and elasticated the hems on mine. Oh, and stitched-in pleats and creases on working shirts.

Was that never an issue thing?
I do recall seeing blue RAF woolly pullies with a pen pocket.

Yes, but the price to pay was a V-necked woolly pully. I can only assume that was to show off the shirt & tie underneath. Completely ignoring the fact that 3 washes after new, it was completely fvcked with shoulder pads halfway down the arms.

It was funny serving with crabs who sought to hold onto their old Army-pattern JHWs, threadbare and faded, but the alternative… :)

Latest Threads