80’s 1157 Kit: Did anything work?

Just after I'd been posted back to a field regiment I was 'pinged' to cover for the SQMS while he buzzed off to Bosnia (where he dropped a series of serious bollocks proving himself a prize tit)

During my 6 months as SQMS I emptied the store by issuing as much kit as I could and giving away as much Expense stuff as possible. I figured that paper was easier to account for and there was no point the stuff sitting on the shelf. You should have seen the joy on the faces of the det commanders as I hove into view with a trolley with boxes of black nasty, batteries, disposable plates and cutlery, cooking utensils, kero heaters, string, more black nasty, boxes of buckshee boil in the bag - all the good stuff like meatballs and pasta, all those things that make soldiers' lives a bit more bearable but which the old SQMS seemed to to think belonged to him. The OC was delighted to find these things existed (he was even more delighted when I 'found' some new covers for the armchairs in his office). I got my staffie on the basis of those 6 months while the SQMS was in Bosnia.

When the old SQ got back he was livid that I'd got rid of his precious stock. He was so livid that he ordered a webbing inspection and announced his intention to seize any and all webbing beyond 1157 issue. He was furious when the Sqn SNCOs, the SSM and ultimately the OC told him that he had no claim to anything other than what he had a signature for. Lads and lasses had bought, begged and borrowed extra webbing and that was their property. His apoplexy knew no bounds.

My 6 months had given me an excellent insight into the machinations of the G4 world which stood me in excellent stead as an LE. My reputation for 'getting things' was second to none in the ETS world. To be honest it wasn't hard. I just found the person in the QM's little world (often the QM or RQMS) who was coming to the end of their service and offered them a bespoke resettlement and Learning Credit form filling service. Also when Salmond House - the German language training centre in JHQ closed down I took a van over with one of the civil servants from DSL to recover the training materials. One of the instructors produced a dusty book which I recognised as the Equipment Table. Once the items on it were identified anything else that wasn't nailed down was fair game. We raised a few eyebrows back in UK with our booty (and still had space for several crates of decent wine and Asbach)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
We used to be duty Lynx in Omagh.

I was very surprised one night when one of our Captains went to bed, and changed into a full ‘Wee Willie Winkie’ nightgown.
Yeh, I heard that but I forget who it was. I remember not being surprised when I was told it.

Was his wife the EME at BallyK?

Issi

LE
Yeh, I heard that but I forget who it was. I remember not being surprised when I was told it.

Was his wife the EME at BallyK?
He was a Flt Comd in BK, Scottish surname. I met his wife once, don’t think she worked there.
My OC was R** T****y, fantastic bloke.

Discovering ways of 'finding' items to make life easier for myself and making them available for others stood me in good stead for civvy life. My first corporate manager told me that, because I had done so many favours to the branch, I could take time off for a pint or two whenever I (along with my loony, Scottish partner-in-crime) felt like it.
My boss in my next job named me 'Scrounger' as, if it was needed, I could find a way if getting it with no senior-management bollox. Again, I was told not to work so much.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
I thought that BCH were pretty good compared to DMS and puttees, although I did miss the ankle support that puttees provided. As a Highland regiment we were not too bullshitty about some things and people were pretty much allowed to lace their boots as they wished. I did mine as per DMS – 'straight' across. After amalgamation the bullshit started on an upward curve and on BROs it stated that boots were to be laced criss cross, except on guard where they were to be laced 'straight'. This was pretty much a new trick to an old dog. The next week I wore my boots with laces crossed and didn't like the feel of it, It felt unconfortable on my feet and was lacking ankle support, so the next week I went back to laces straight, thinking nothing more on it. Muster parade - “Why are your boots laced that way Cpl W21A?” says the RSWO. I explained my case to which he said to wear them as per BROs. “If you want to wear boots like that, get a sick note from the RMO.” he finished, thinking the matter closed. So I did as he said. I got an appointment with the MO and explained the problem. He had a good laugh about this and wrote a sick note saying I could lace my boots any way I wished. I then reported to the RSWO (With a fabloned copy just in case.) who was clearly astounded that I had done just as he asked and that he could do no more about it. I suspect the MO may have had a word with the CO about boot lacing as the policy seemed to just quietly disappear.

RABC

LE
Just after I'd been posted back to a field regiment I was 'pinged' to cover for the SQMS while he buzzed off to Bosnia (where he dropped a series of serious bollocks proving himself a prize tit)

During my 6 months as SQMS I emptied the store by issuing as much kit as I could and giving away as much Expense stuff as possible. I figured that paper was easier to account for and there was no point the stuff sitting on the shelf. You should have seen the joy on the faces of the det commanders as I hove into view with a trolley with boxes of black nasty, batteries, disposable plates and cutlery, cooking utensils, kero heaters, string, more black nasty, boxes of buckshee boil in the bag - all the good stuff like meatballs and pasta, all those things that make soldiers' lives a bit more bearable but which the old SQMS seemed to to think belonged to him. The OC was delighted to find these things existed (he was even more delighted when I 'found' some new covers for the armchairs in his office). I got my staffie on the basis of those 6 months while the SQMS was in Bosnia.

When the old SQ got back he was livid that I'd got rid of his precious stock. He was so livid that he ordered a webbing inspection and announced his intention to seize any and all webbing beyond 1157 issue. He was furious when the Sqn SNCOs, the SSM and ultimately the OC told him that he had no claim to anything other than what he had a signature for. Lads and lasses had bought, begged and borrowed extra webbing and that was their property. His apoplexy knew no bounds.

My 6 months had given me an excellent insight into the machinations of the G4 world which stood me in excellent stead as an LE. My reputation for 'getting things' was second to none in the ETS world. To be honest it wasn't hard. I just found the person in the QM's little world (often the QM or RQMS) who was coming to the end of their service and offered them a bespoke resettlement and Learning Credit form filling service. Also when Salmond House - the German language training centre in JHQ closed down I took a van over with one of the civil servants from DSL to recover the training materials. One of the instructors produced a dusty book which I recognised as the Equipment Table. Once the items on it were identified anything else that wasn't nailed down was fair game. We raised a few eyebrows back in UK with our booty (and still had space for several crates of decent wine and Asbach)
Blimey, an SQMS issuing kit. Outstanding and unheard of. With most, its as if it is their own personal stash.

I thought that BCH were pretty good compared to DMS and puttees, although I did miss the ankle support that puttees provided. As a Highland regiment we were not too bullshitty about some things and people were pretty much allowed to lace their boots as they wished. I did mine as per DMS – 'straight' across. After amalgamation the bullshit started on an upward curve and on BROs it stated that boots were to be laced criss cross, except on guard where they were to be laced 'straight'. This was pretty much a new trick to an old dog. The next week I wore my boots with laces crossed and didn't like the feel of it, It felt unconfortable on my feet and was lacking ankle support, so the next week I went back to laces straight, thinking nothing more on it. Muster parade - “Why are your boots laced that way Cpl W21A?” says the RSWO. I explained my case to which he said to wear them as per BROs. “If you want to wear boots like that, get a sick note from the RMO.” he finished, thinking the matter closed. So I did as he said. I got an appointment with the MO and explained the problem. He had a good laugh about this and wrote a sick note saying I could lace my boots any way I wished. I then reported to the RSWO (With a fabloned copy just in case.) who was clearly astounded that I had done just as he asked and that he could do no more about it. I suspect the MO may have had a word with the CO about boot lacing as the policy seemed to just quietly disappear.

Was this in the days when they were to be known as the gay queens ;)

The KF shirts i hated. Could starch them up good but horrible.
I have a memory of a section commander coming to us from the MT platoon who had KF collar/shirt fronts, which he wore with company green sweat shirts under a combat jacket or wooly pully as required. An excellent piece of tailoring by the way.

I have a memory of a section commander coming to us from the MT platoon who had KF collar/shirt fronts, which he wore with company green sweat shirts under a combat jacket or wooly pully as required. An excellent piece of tailoring by the way.
Right up until the RSM calls shirt sleeve order

Did anything work? Yes, the bootlace in the neck of the woolly pully.

QRK2

LE
Right up until the RSM calls shirt sleeve order

Could be worse, there was a tale doing the rounds some time ago of an officer who was wearing Winter Guard Order with a T shirt under the greatcoat (pretty much SOP ISTR) who for some reason found himself in the company of HMTQ indoors and was invited to remove the greatcoat as 'he must be very hot'. Probably belongs in the Army Myths thread though.

Blimey, an SQMS issuing kit. Outstanding and unheard of. With most, its as if it is their own personal stash.
Well I was Int Corps so I was only pretending....

ETA

I still claim to have been the first (and possibly only) Int Corps SQMS in an armoured squadron of a Signal Regiment...unless @Glad_its_all_over knows any different.

Could be worse, there was a tale doing the rounds some time ago of an officer who was wearing Winter Guard Order with a T shirt under the greatcoat (pretty much SOP ISTR) who for some reason found himself in the company of HMTQ indoors and was invited to remove the greatcoat as 'he must be very hot'. Probably belongs in the Army Myths thread though.

The late Brigadier Pearson was caught out in similar attire in the Viking bar one armistice Sunday many years ago

Latest Threads