8 (US) Troops Charged In Death Of Iraqi

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by rockape34, Jun 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Washington Post: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/21/AR2006062100887.html?referrer=email&referrer=email
    Whilst in no way suggesting that these troops were guilty of the alleged crime, unfortunately bleeding heart liberals and tree huggers (with little - nay, probably no - military service) tend to jump on the bandwagon accusing all troops of being bloodthirsty ruffians (as some did about NI, Falklands et al).
    One can only hope that they are treated justly and not 'hung out to dry' as seems (increasingly) to be the case with UK troops.

edited to add Different slant on the reporting in LA Times at: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-marines22jun22,0,7347316.story?track=tothtml
  2. A quote from the Post

'Gary Solis, a professor of the law of war at Georgetown University, said it is unfortunate that the cases have surfaced at the same time, because they provide an impression of a military run amok in Iraq. He said that fatal mistakes are common in war, and that the key to these investigations will probably be to determine whether the troops planned the alleged attacks.

"Where is the line? The line is premeditation," Solis said of wartime killings. "If you make a mistake, you're not going to be investigated. The only guys that have to be worried are those that have thought about doing it and then do it."'

He should try convincing the Attorney General and the Army Board here of that view - some hope!
  3. http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-marines22jun22,0,7347316.story?track=tothtml

Unlikely it would happen... Though who knows?

So Iraqis can't complain. Look, even American servicemen are threatened to be killed by investigatiors.
  4. Sergey wrote:

Some of the defendants were threatened that they might face the death penalty at trial unless they talked to investigators, defense attorneys said.

I'm no lawyer but doesn't that render any evidence gained as inadmissible? If they were insurgents threatened with death, the human rights brigade would be down on the prosecution like a ton of Bricks!! C'mon Amnesty International, where are you now???
  5. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I know this is a serious tread, but I'm sure glad I didn't have a mouthfull of coffee and/or Vodka when I read this

"So Iraqis can't complain. Look, even American servicemen are threatened to be killed by investigatiors."

If I did I'd be busy trying to clean my computer screen and keyboard off! :lol:
  6. Trip_Wire!

Don't drink much vodka, no more than half a liter at once. Bigger quatities could be too dangerous for your health.

As for interrogation technique that is used by our American friends then one former Iraqi genaral died during such a procedure. The investigator was severely punished

No doubt that detained soldiers are well aware about mentioned case. So the "death threats" were rather symbolic. One can excpect that these 8 would be fined $750 each would worship 7.5 days.